Franken Fran Frantic - Vol. 3 Ch. 17 - The Man They Called Satan

Dex-chan lover
Isn't Frank herself immortal too?
And yet you don't see her becoming a brainless cancer zombie, she is also not growing like a lobster.

Double-page supporter
@Doomroar She is not human, and wath she does is changes body parts with the time. The other people becomes zombies because the elixir staped their proces of aging turned in a "being of cancer"

Fed-Kun's army
relevant pic:
Francisco_de_Goya%2C_Saturno_devorando_a_su_hijo_%281819-1823%29.jpg

Dex-chan lover
I feel like this one was closest in quality to the old series. But generally speaking it feels like the author used up his best ideas in the original serialization.

Fed-Kun's army
@Bohrain i get that feeling too. though i still enjoy this it does feel like the mangeka used up their good ideas. its possible that they intended it to end with the original franken fran.

Dex-chan lover
As someone working in a field very closely associated with some of the ideas presented in Franken Fran, I will say that this chapter was a bit odd in how specific drugs/molecules were named. Usually the author is either actually surprisingly accurate at getting at the general gist of things or the author knows enough to simply make up a fake drug or disease, but I suspect there may have been a typo/mistranslation with some of the things in the chapter (like somatostatin) because somatostatin actually an inhibitor of growth hormone (which you may have heard of as a performance-enhancing drug). Growth hormone is currently being tested in some anti-aging cocktails, actually, though the jury is still out on whether it works.

This chapter was a bit predictable and cannibalism seems to be becoming a bit too common (speaking as someone who usually finds that kind of stuff entertaining), and the anti-aging cop-out felt cheap, as someone working in anti-aging research, but I did like the reference at the end to the painting of Saturn Devouring His Son. It's still awesome to see that Franken Fran has been revived though, it was one of the things I read in my teenage years that inspired me to go into biology and biotech and the fact that it literally came back to life feels extremely appropriate for Frankenstein Fran.

Group Leader
@Ambrosine The author refers to it as "ソマトチン" or "somatochin/somatotin". When I looked up ソマトチン, I found Japanese research papers frequently abbreviating ソマトチン as "SRIH". Searching for SRIH in English then returned many websites identifying SRIH as somatostatin. I don't know if somatostatin was an accurate translation, but it was my best uneducated guess.

Dex-chan lover
This remknds me of a chapter in Blackjack. Also about immortality, and then things went bad.

Users who are viewing this thread