Frontier Diary - Vol. 1 Ch. 3

Fed-Kun's army
Just a minor correction: Googs doesn't say that he was a member of the garrison, but the garrison that came from the capital was the first to run away after the epidemic. He actually uses a different word for the troop from the capital, 駐屯兵, which means an occupying force. He himself is 衛兵 which implies a local origin in this case.

Also, about the mound of carcass, Googs is saying that villagers had already burned and buried the carcass, but they had found a large pile of rotting carcass of something called deramound boar. So they weren't found already burned and buried but the villagers had to do that to the rotting pile, and that's how they got sick. As is, it sounds like the villagers found a pile of burned and buried corpse rotting away. And since he's talking about dead animals instead of people, carcass would be the appropriate word instead of corpse.

亜人 is not "interracial." It's most commonly translated as demi-human, so it's a broad category that encompasses any humanoid, non-human characters and would also include elves, cat girls, dog man, pretty much everyone in the village. You can see its usage in the popular manga and anime series, "Ajin-chan wa Kataritai."https://myanimelist.net/anime/33988/Demi-chan_wa_Kataritai Basically, he couldn't identify which demi-human she belongs to (which you can, like how Googs immediately identified Oonya as a cat girl) so he just used the broadest term.

BTW, I don't see how she's Oonya when the kana is Wuunya or Wu-nya, like how's she's like the Wu-tang clan and ain't nothin' ta fuck wit.

Fed-Kun's army
@DrHizzle @Wolvenworks

I have no idea what the complaint is about the second chapter's translation. It's perfectly readable and quite well done, actually. Only 2 spots though: first, on pg. 11, he's talking about his pharmacy and potions teacher at the academy saying the next line, not that he taught at the academy. Secondly, on pg. 21 Kuro asks, "How about the seeds/Do you have the seeds?" about the medicinal herbs they were talking about. That's it. Over all, I thought it was a better translation than the 3rd chapter which I think suffered from being re-translated from Spanish to English. It's like making a copy from a copy, like those sign-in sheets at the doctor's office that's been copied a million times. There's usually a drop in accuracy.

Fed-Kun's army
@WhimsiCat

Ah yeah. I don't really read the captions in the margin though. Maybe he misread it as odoroite (驚いて). Yes, it does say Wu-nya is being helpful to those two.

Fed-Kun's army
@Wolvenworks

Lol, that's an incomplete thought in the source also. It says "...Wu-nya-san mo Sephate ga...?" And it is more or less what it says. You can add stuff and complete the thought, or you can leave it as is and let people figure it out by context.

And if you can't tell by context what that means, I don't know what to tell ya.

Dex-chan lover
I agree with @ThePaulBunyanTrophy in that chapter 2's english reads better.

Chapter 3 has some minor wording/word choice issues that make it flow a bit awkwardly -- in my opinion, of course.

Overall, though, they're both fine, so thanks to all involved for translating more of this series.

Dex-chan lover
You guys are heroes! Thanks for bringing this to English for us! :)

(Also translucent clothing is so damn sexy!)

Users who are viewing this thread