Fushi no Kami: Rebuilding Civilization Starts with a Village - Vol. 5 Ch. 21 - The Key to Reaching One's Dreams

Dex-chan lover
I use Krita which is like a free Photoshop, I'll look into if there's a similar plugin , Thx!
Maybe an oval with smudged borders, rather than just a box?
About the font sizes, you should usually be able to enter any integer number by typing it, 28 and 36 are just presets to give you fast access to a wide range of sizes, without excessively cluttering the drop-down list.

Also, food/lenguage fact!
The duality between food name/alive animal in English is a leftover from the Norman domination: the farmer, who had to deal with the alive animals, would use the Saxon name, while the french-speaking upper class would be the one eating the cooked dish. In addition to what you listed there are also sheep/mutton and chicken/fowl

Dex-chan lover
Having plowed through this over the weekend, this gives me more Grace of the Gods vibes than Bookworm vibes. The boy has too much good fortune dropped at his feet. It's comfy, sure, but I enjoy seeing a bit more struggle.

Thanks for the new chapter!

Regarding the 'V' and 'B' (it seems that the TL team might interchange the two basing on the katakana) sounds when translating from JP, correct me if I'm wrong but I was taught (and also basing from the Minna no Nihongo textbooks) that the japanese katakana already has measures for adapting the B and V sounds.

B is simple enough as you just use a 'tenten' to modify the H-row of the katakana, so to write the syllables BA, BI, BU, BE and BO it will be written as バ ビ ブ ベ ボ respectively

Regarding the V-sound, they use the tenten-modified U-line of letters then further modified by the vowel subscripts to produce the VA VI VU VE VO syllables: ヴァ ヴィ ヴ ヴェ ヴォ respectively (even the JP-keyboard is automatically accepting this as I input it). Even in the example of the anime 'Vandread' it is written as ヴァンドレッド (van-do-re-ddo) and not as 'ban-do-re-ddo'.

So for the example of Ban's name, if it is written as バン (BA-N) then it should not be interchanged with VAN unless it was written as ヴァン (VA-N) in the raws.
My understanding is that katakana isn't strictly standardize in the sense of listing non-Japanese words: like convenience stores are abbreviated to コンビニ (conbini) and television is テレビ (terebi) respectively, or maybe it's a first syllable thing but there's still words like violin バイオリン (baiorin)

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
My understanding is that katakana isn't strictly standardize in the sense of listing non-Japanese words: like convenience stores are abbreviated to コンビニ (conbini) and television is テレビ (terebi) respectively, or maybe it's a first syllable thing but there's still words like violin バイオリン (baiorin)
Ah that is correct. A lot of 'common' nouns are adapted to easiest way they can. The likes of terebi, konbini and baiorin are all adapted like that for their own convenience.
However, there are cases when they had to be precise with translating using katakana, especially when it comes to proper nouns, especially names, where there is a need for B and V to be emphasized, as a wrong translation might misrepresent someone or an entity (also will cause some troubles in the documentations and bureaucracy).

Maybe an oval with smudged borders, rather than just a box?
About the font sizes, you should usually be able to enter any integer number by typing it, 28 and 36 are just presets to give you fast access to a wide range of sizes, without excessively cluttering the drop-down list.

Also, food/lenguage fact!
The duality between food name/alive animal in English is a leftover from the Norman domination: the farmer, who had to deal with the alive animals, would use the Saxon name, while the french-speaking upper class would be the one eating the cooked dish. In addition to what you listed there are also sheep/mutton and chicken/fowl
omg you're right about changing font sizes, thx! lol
yeah I had an English teacher explain the evolution of old English into Norman/French English after being conquered like you described, history is fun

Dex-chan lover
I don't understand why in these kinda series mc are massively interested in other relationships but not himselves...🦫

Users who are viewing this thread