Gal ni Yasashii Otaku-kun - Vol. 1 Ch. 3

Dex-chan lover
Don't know why you're quoting my post because I never once called them scumbags. Hell, I was generally pretty complementary of their efforts for the most part.

But the point of the "sniping" debate is that most groups or translators work together either implicitly or explicitly with a sort of fair play/honor system setup of not stepping on others' toes when it comes to who's working on a series. If someone's doing a decent job and not being excessively slow then what point is there to swooping in and translating more chapters from a series they're working on? Why not find one of the scores and scores of series that people have abandoned or ignored and translate that to fill a gap? The community works best when everyone finds a hole to fill and through just a basic amount of consideration and respect that's pretty easy to maintain. But what Degen is doing is taking advantage of that. They rely on the fact that most groups won't come and poach their series in order to build up a catalog of titles that they exclusively translate while using patreon to monetize the popularity of some of their titles. But then when someone does decide to move into their territory, suddenly they show interest in releasing chapters for titles they had ignored, likely hoping to scare off the new group by making it appear as if they're interested again. But if Scyllazy stopped now and doesn't post another chapter, chances are we wouldn't see Degen touch this again for months.

Degen has a ton of titles to work on. And there are a bunch of titles out there that they could pick up instead of this if they have a slot to fill in their release schedule. There's no need to suddenly switch back onto a series they ignored for the better part of a year just because another group has decided to fill the hole they created.
Oh i know u didn’t call anyone scumbags, i was just explaining why i was angry initially at another post. Idk if u saw but i was explaining in another post that i’m totally cool with another translator working on it. I personally feel that these manga aren’t owned by any of these translators, if 20 groups wanted to translate at the same time I’d be fine. It’s just weird to me that ppl not named the author of the series can take hold of the series and nobody else can work on it cause of some sniping rule. Hell of on the funniest things ive seen on this site was when like, 12 groups all translated that Tsundere girl getting less dere every chapter

Dex-chan lover
The politics of Scanlators is fascinating, and it is rather knee jerk to see another chapter appear after a long gap just when another group says they're going to do a better release schedule. I'm grateful to see anything, especially since the one reliable raw site I know lost a whole bunch of stuff due to a storage failure. It's just disappointing to see the politics coming out like this,but the reality is the currency here is the credit of who releases what, when and to a lesser extent, the quaiity therein.

Dex-chan lover
It’s just weird to me that ppl not named the author of the series can take hold of the series and nobody else can work on it cause of some sniping rule.
It's not a rule, it's a basic courtesy in the scanlation community. One that GD scans abuses to essentially call dibs on series that they never have any intention of actively working on, which often pretty much kills the series on mangadex because other TLs won't snipe it. Now it seems that other groups are either starting to realise what GD are doing, or are just fed up with their shit, and are willing to do what would normally be considered sniping - which is great in my opinion, as GD scans will be forced to either actually work on the series they pick up, or to stop this bullshit practice.

Dex-chan lover
I don’t find calling a group “scumbags” because they didn’t release a chapter at a speed y’all want cool at all. Like u said, they have other series. Also the whole “sniping” concept on this site is stupid as shit. I don’t care who releases these chapters hell they both could at the same time. But ppl complaining about free chapter releases ain’t it
Anybody who abuses their influence to prevent other people from translating manga (and making the world a better place through that), is a scumbag. Doesn't matter if they're official translators or "fan" translators or censors or whoever.
With power, comes responsibility. And if somebody abuses their power, I will call them scumbags and wish for their deaths.

So much going on with these scanlators.. but I was so excited to see the makeover!!! :D I hope he makes her ends floop upward Alice Cullen style!!

I don’t find calling a group “scumbags” because they didn’t release a chapter at a speed y’all want cool at all. Like u said, they have other series. Also the whole “sniping” concept on this site is stupid as shit. I don’t care who releases these chapters hell they both could at the same time. But ppl complaining about free chapter releases ain’t it
no, they need to be called out. so it happens to be scummy behavior then call it by name.

Dex-chan lover
I can somewhat sympathize with Himeno, but I'm much more petty than the MC. I couldn't help someone who was treating me like garbage the day before. Especially when that person doesn't even want my help.

Users who are viewing this thread