Gambling Outcast Kaiji: The Kazuya Arc - Kaiji Part 4 - Vol. 1 Ch. 1 - The Proper Course

Double-page supporter
Kaiji needs to take it easy hating on Kazuya; Kazuya was a real good guy when he didn't need to be last series.

1 chapter in and we're already at classic Kaiji levels... yeah, I think I'm ready for this one

@Ceildric That's like saying people should go easy on Hitler because he liked animals.
Dude is still a monster and was ready to chop Kaiji up if he lost, just because he has his own twisted sense of fairness it doesn't mean he doesn't deserve every bit of hate he can get.

Double-page supporter
@Jorgelino Hitler is not a very good comparison. It's hard to have a reasonable discussion surrounding Hitler because of the extremes of his crimes and the extreme feelings about them and that whole regime. Furthermore, I just don't think it fits. Hitler (or dictators in general) force their will on others, usually at the point of a gun, with no benefit offered to the ones oppressed.

In the Kaiji series, people are given choices, and there is potential for them to see great benefit from their gambles. The competitions are often fair (though in a couple instances weren't). You may say that the characters faced economic pressures or other similar indirect psychological pressure to make a choice, but that is far away from having an actual gun at your head.

If a dictator wants something, they will make it happen. Kazuya deserves some credit (though we can debate how much) for the element of fairness in competition he maintains.

@Ceildric Isso é como dizer que as pessoas deveriam pegar leve com Hitler porque ele gostava de animais.
O cara ainda é um monstro e estava pronto para cortar Kaiji se ele perdesse, só porque ele tem seu próprio senso distorcido de justiça, isso não significa que ele não merece todo o ódio que puder receber.
Yeah, but underestimate him, saying he is only a son of a rich, is incredible dumb of his part

@Jorgelino Hitler is not a very good comparison. It's hard to have a reasonable discussion surrounding Hitler because of the extremes of his crimes and the extreme feelings about them and that whole regime. Furthermore, I just don't think it fits. Hitler (or dictators in general) force their will on others, usually at the point of a gun, with no benefit offered to the ones oppressed.

In the Kaiji series, people are given choices, and there is potential for them to see great benefit from their gambles. The competitions are often fair (though in a couple instances weren't). You may say that the characters faced economic pressures or other similar indirect psychological pressure to make a choice, but that is far away from having an actual gun at your head.

If a dictator wants something, they will make it happen. Kazuya deserves some credit (though we can debate how much) for the element of fairness in competition he maintains.
I disagree. If you go to a person dying of hunger and tell them you'll give them food if they do what you tell them, is that really a "choice"?

These people are desperate and emotionally unstable. Kazuya is taking advantage of that. Manipulating them, exploiting their poor situation for his own sadistic pleasure. He might as well be pointing a gun to their head. Actually, the gun route at least is sort of honest about it.

I assume you're more caught up by now, so i'll say i'm reminded of
Mitsuyama trying to pretend that sacrificing his friends is okay because he apologized first, and how Kazuya himself made fun of him for trying to make an obviously bad thing "sound cool"

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread