GATE - Jieitai Kanochi nite, Kaku Tatakaeri - Vol. 23 Ch. 124

Dex-chan lover
There's a difference between being patriotic and being pro-military complex. it's pretty clear from the author's portrayal of journalists and politicians as inept buffoons that just get in the way of the hyper-efficient military, that he is the latter and not the former.

Also bear in mind that the original novels got toned down by the editor, and then were toned down again for the manga adaptation. What we're seeing isn't even the original level of pro-military as the author wrote it.
Oh yeah, forgot this was toned down.
I probably should read the LN and web novels in the future myself.

Can't really blame him with hating journalists though lol.

Dex-chan lover
i'm wondering how long it will take for them to finally drop a real bomb. :eek:
I read the other day, a description of what some of the cluster munitions that have been green-lit to be sent to Ukraine can do. Just one covers an area the size of 3 american football fields with bomb-lets, shredding everything that isn't well armored. Just one of those would be able to wipe out an army in this fantasy world. Great against trenches (one of the reasons they want them).

Dex-chan lover
The choppers used by the JSDF in this chapter don't look very military like to me...
=> Sure, they're armed and all but it feels like they re-purposed a touring helicopter.
Would the army really use that sort of helicopter ?

Dex-chan lover
I read the other day, a description of what some of the cluster munitions that have been green-lit to be sent to Ukraine can do. Just one covers an area the size of 3 american football fields with bomb-lets, shredding everything that isn't well armored. Just one of those would be able to wipe out an army in this fantasy world. Great against trenches (one of the reasons they want them).
Wait, they're sending cluster bombs now?? When was this? Wasn't the very reliable news media like CNN and such saying something along the lines of "omg!! itz a warcraymm!!" before?

Proxy wars ftw, by the way

Dex-chan lover
Man, aside from when they slaughtered and kidnapped people when the Gate first opened, it took 120-ish chapters for them (anyone in the fantasy world) to do anything to the JSDF. I love the series, but it's too unbalanced in favor of JSDF, which unsurprisingly, the author was apparently was part of the JSDF, and/or very nationalistic (nothing wrong with that) IIRC.
You really think their will be balanced to modern weapon vs roman times weapon yeah they might have dragons but unless they use the adult types they can't really do anything.

Dex-chan lover
So, why not just fly ABOVE the wyverns? They had the aerial advantage way before the nets were dropped. Hell, how did they forget about the wyverns in the first place? Is the JSDF going to job this hard from now on when they've had very few issues before? I'm concerned.

Dex-chan lover
Wait, they're sending cluster bombs now?? When was this? Wasn't the very reliable news media like CNN and such saying something along the lines of "omg!! itz a warcraymm!!" before?

Yeah. There are a few reasons for this, but one of the main ones is lack of conventional ammo. A single cluster can replace multiple artillery shots, as they don't need to keep adjusting aim.

The ammo sent will also have a low dud rate, so while it certainly isn't great, it isn't going to be like Vietnam. Russia has also been using them, so Ukraine may have decided to push to end the war sooner, than just let the Russian ones (likely higher dud rate) keep spreading. There are also cluster mines, but those aren't considered covered by cluster ammo bans (which none of these countries have signed) since they self detonate after 24 hours.

There are some older cluster munitions that Ukraine wants, so they can break them down and use the bomb-lets with drones as they can penetrate 190mm armor, which is better than the 120mm bombs they've been using.

Not a simple solution, but understand this is Ukraine's choice in the end. Moralizing without having direct skin in the game, isn't going to help anyone.

In a usual fashion, the dud rate threshold used to be 1% for arms trades like this, but the previous guy raised the threshold to 2%. Why? No idea. Doubt he cared about it. So that has allowed the transfer of this ammo to Ukraine.

Dex-chan lover
The choppers used by the JSDF in this chapter don't look very military like to me...
=> Sure, they're armed and all but it feels like they re-purposed a touring helicopter.
Would the army really use that sort of helicopter ?
It's a scout heli (MH-6 Little bird) and it's still in use to this day. The others are AH-1 Cobra attach helis. They have been used since the Vietnam war. Sure they are old but pretty decent for what they are made for. Atleast as far as I know.

Dex-chan lover

it's only fine when Usa use it
there's even cases about it right now, a few weeks ago i think

Dex-chan lover
Guess this will be a repeat of the previous ambush, but on the air.
it's only fine when Usa use it
there's even cases about it right now, a few weeks ago i think
Let's not be biased here. Cluster bombs has been in use in the war since the start, by both sides. Every militaristic country that's regularly at war never signed the agreement to ban it's use since it's just that effective and not using it against an enemy that does is a huge disadvantage. Specially with how the war in Ukraine turned to be so similar to old wars of trench meat grinders despite advances on technologies.

Dex-chan lover
Guess this will be a repeat of the previous ambush, but on the air.

Let's not be biased here. Cluster bombs has been in use in the war since the start, by both sides. Every militaristic country that's regularly at war never signed the agreement to ban it's use since it's just that effective and not using it against an enemy that does is a huge disadvantage. Specially with how the war in Ukraine turned to be so similar to old wars of trench meat grinders despite advances on technologies.
who knows, i just watch a video about it

Users who are viewing this thread