Generic 'hate speech' report reason

Status
Not open for further replies.
Contributor
rather than hate speech you could classification as hateful speech, there's a nuance in the difference but it's much less controversial because hate speech doesn't really exist only speech that people hate within a free dialogue while hateful speech is easier to define and sounds better

Dex-chan lover
@subliminal it's generic for a reason, it's a tactic used to put things under a giant blanket, so things can be removed on a whim. The more specific it is, the worse it becomes to blindly remove things.

Double-page supporter
@dsid2814
I've spent this entire thread being as respectful as I can so hopefully you'll excuse me this one jest (heavily edited to be within Mangadex official community guidelines):
Mad because you got banned from twitter, huh?

Contributor
tumblr_os3q8iWAO51wn2b96o1_500.gifv

Dex-chan lover
@hellknightofdeath
I've spent this entire thread being as respectful as I can
I wouldn't say that's an accurate statement.
As for everyone else, a bit of good feedback, and some fodder for my block list.
Thanks to all most of you who participated in this thread!
These quotes are pretty passive aggressive. In the future, it would probably be best to not block people (as they might have decent input in other threads). But if you're deadset on doing so, announcing it is never a good look.

Regards,
𝒷𝒾𝑔𝓉𝒾𝒹𝒹𝓎𝑜𝓃𝑒𝑒𝓈𝒶𝓃

DWQYJGSm.jpg

Contributor
@dsid2814
If it's too broad it becomes open to abuse.
And anything can be interpreted as hate speech, just look at the perversion and abuse of the extant laws.
Using "Hateful speech" at least sets a condition that there was malicious intent of the user.
As a potentially controversial example saying that those who consider themselves transgender are more often mentally ill is obviously not hateful speech because there isn't any ill will behind saying it, but there is a risk of it being labelled as hate speech due to the controversial nature of the topic and recent activist groups.
But I'm not a lawyer so maybe words are more tricky than they seem.
-
Though I see both terms leading to excessive administrator overreach because they are too generalist and easy to label, specific language is important, and freedom of expression should not be unduly constrained. Although there should be protection against targeted abuse and harassment we don't have the right not to be offended in this world, though some seem people to take everything as a personal insult.

Someone's different point of view is sometimes seen as hate speech according another.

Wouldn't surprise me if the political thread was closed after too many "Other" reports.

Having "Other" as overflow is good enough.

Wait..... Op blocked some people in this thread?

The fuq?

There's nothing block worthy from everything I've read. Am i missing something?

Dex-chan lover
@sterven
MMuPb0Em.jpg

Mr. 4V29LN0n could be talking about anyone in this thread, really. My initial interpretation was that he was referring to OP as the troll. But it could very well be either myself or crazybars.

Guess we'll never really know. Oh well.

7uHKromm.png

Case closed!

Dex-chan lover
@BroederTrapist That's not why. Zeph also mods the politics discord, and frequently talks about closing it because it's a PITA to run. I kindly reminded Dr. Zephenstein of his creation, and I guess he got tired of people plastering it with conspiracy theories.

From the title alone I can already smell the woke and the potential abuse for such a broadly vague and generic term from miles all around. No better than giving crazy schizos a crate of loaded guns.
It's either 'Other' or 'Deliberate Provocation/Agitation' because 'hate speech' sounded too childish and derogatory for neutral and non-offensive usage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread