Genjitsushugi Yuusha no Oukoku Saikenki - Vol. 4 Ch. 18 - The Battle Of Kouryuu Castle (1)

Fed-Kun's army
@kwendy

When they are committing treason and face execution, it's a pretty serious fight. Carla is concerned for her friend, but the entire reason they are revolting is because they believe Souma pulled some sort of magic on the royal family to depose the old king and convince Liscia to marry him. They've staked their lives on that assumption, so it seems weird that they want to spare Souma.

I know what happens later on and

Although he spares their lives, he still makes Carla a slave with a curse that would kill her if he dies. Although I think he later changes it so that if he dies, her slave curse reverts to Liscia. Either way, even if he spared her life, it's almost like he is ignoring her desire to protect his life even as her enemy. Plus it seems odd he keeps her as a slave, even as a punitive measure, when he is abolishing slavery in the kingdom. Apparently he looks the other way when the sadistic head maid uses a riding crop to spank her too

Dex-chan lover
@HOOfan_1

That's disappointing.
I'd hoped for better from him than that. All these moral compromises add up to someone I'm not sure I want to keep reading about much longer.

@HOOfan_1

The reason he had to make her a slave because he cannot just go let them go unpunished for treason, even if he wants to.
And he really, badly wants to, because he knows what the General is doing but Castor does not know and is being a bad part in the plan by helping him

Fed-Kun's army
@zilentworld

That's a cop out. He didn't "have to punish them". He could have forgiven them when they helped him fight the invading nation. The difference between them and the nobles is that they had a legitimate reason to revolt and that was because they thought they were protecting the nation, while the corrupt nobles were doing it for money and power.

Carla had a good reason to revolt. What king just gives up his throne to a complete stranger after 5 minutes of conversation? Of course it looked like he had tricked them. When Carla recanted and pledged loyalty to him, he could have easily given her a much less harsh punishment than making her a slave...he did it for her dad. He could have just given her to Liscia...he could have released her after a short while. He could have stopped the head maid from abusing her.

I'm sure most of this was just used to add some ecchi type comedy and basically adding another girl to the harem, even if he refuses to have sex with her. However, it still seems odd that he keeps a slave while trying to abolish slavery. He doesn't really seem to care much about her either, other than the fact that she is Liscia's friend, which is why he should have given her curse to Liscia and allow Liscia to deal with her.

Dex-chan lover
@HOOfan_1

not to read too much into it but doesn't that all fall in line with the premise of the story? He's using things like Machiavelli's "The Prince" as a guideline and many scholars have taken that as meant more as a warning against more cunning tyrants than a guideline, especially when considering the years he spent being imprisoned and tortured by a prince before he wrote it. The kinda ruler it describes is pretty messed up in a lot of ways, hypocrites who do things like start wars or let their soldiers attack their citizens all in order to maintain favor with the military. He also specifically says they should only look maintain the image of a righteous person, not to actually be one.

Dex-chan lover
@HOOfan_1
The fact they risk their life does not mean they guaranteed to lose it. Personal judgment stands above law here, so sparing lifes of rebel leaders is not far-fetched as long as they can be useful. I think one of the roman emperors used to spare the hell out of trecherous generals (he was killed in a coup though).
In fact, there was example in medieval history when killing enemy leader actually spelled doom for everyone involved.
As for slavery, he is japanese and Japan did not really have any bad blood with slavery, so he is fine with that. And he safeguarded his life with magic without need of getting rid of potential great cadres (basically took hostage so that his enemies would work for him). That is how I understand, because I haven't read the sourse

Dex-chan lover
@Meridis

The reference to Machiavelli was the decision to allow the enemy to invade the southwestern parts of his nation, thus letting his citizens be endangered and robbed , in order to effectively defeat them once and for all afterwards.

No matter how you look at it, if the truth of that comes out, it's bad PR. And if they do it repeatedly, it's extremely bad PR, which is why he said it could only be permitted once.

Fed-Kun's army
@Meridis

No, he mostly does not run the nation in a Machiavellian manner. He runs it in a more populist manner. He begins the process of making slave's lives better to eventually abolish it. He starts all forms of entertainment.

Carla's circumstances basically become an comedic vehicle playing on her sexuality and embarrassment of having her sexuality exposed. The head maid makes her wear really short skirts. The head maid punishes her by using magic to alternate pleasure and pain when she is whipping her with the riding crop. She is cast as a character in a "TV" show and has to wear a really skimpy outfit. All of this causes her great embarrassment, and most of it is because the head maid likes to tease her. It's treated more like a joke than abuse, and Carla for the most part seems to be happy living with her friend Liscia, but slavery is still slavery. Carla abandoned her revolt when she figured out Souma was not manipulating Liscia and the old king and helped Souma defeat the outside enemies, and that should have won her forgiveness, or at least a milder punishment than being a slave for who knows how long. I suspect the next couple of chapters will probably show her being enslaved.

@kwendy

He starts reforming the rules of slavery in the nation to give slaves more rights, and plans to eventually abolish it, so slavery absolutely does bother him

Dex-chan lover
@HOOfan_1
Not on personal level. It's just either position of modern human morale or just being practicl as slave labour was proven to be inefficient and occasionally dangerous for society.

Fed-Kun's army
@kwendy

Yes...on a personal level. He actually says in one of the novels "I want to put an end to the era where women and children were sold off so there would be fewer mouths to feed, and where it was taken as a given that the child of a slave was also a slave"

He basically says that he knows he can't just abolish it outright, but he says he wants to work on abolishing it, because he both knows he can make the kingdom better because of it, and because he personally does not like the institution of making innocent people slaves.

Dex-chan lover
okay i really did not expect Souma to fit wheels on a battleship, stick some AA on it, and have it manned by puppets.

Dex-chan lover
HOOfan_1
Yep, totally modern person morale compass. That's knowledge that thing is wrong, not personal attitude.

Users who are viewing this thread