Getting Shot on the Frying Pan - Vol. 2 Ch. 7 - The Mystery Honey Thing That I Ate That Made Me Feel Good

Fed-Kun's army
I'm assuming this is Honey mixed with "Black Seed", Nigella Sativa. It's pretty widespread in continental Asia but it is popular enough in the Arabic peninsula that even the Prophet once said it was an elixir that could cure all but death.

Group Leader
If you have high blood pressure this could probably give you a stroke. But if you survive... cleansing!

Dex-chan lover
I'm assuming this is Honey mixed with "Black Seed", Nigella Sativa. It's pretty widespread in continental Asia but it is popular enough in the Arabic peninsula that even the Prophet once said it was an elixir that could cure all but death.
Looking it up and it seems there's a paste of that seed called qizha that is described to have a sharp, bitter taste with some sweetness, which lines up with what was described in the chapter.

Fed-Kun's army
A couple typos of "hygiene" on page 7 and page 10, and "museum" on page 12. Haven't seen any issues like this until now so I feel it's worth pointing out.

you've also got "woah" where i think it should be "whoa", but that's more subjective

Dex-chan lover
Sounds like the nepal hallucinogenic honey , the mad honey.
As a regular drug user and aficionado, the only part that sounds the same is the honey part.
It's effects are difference between heroin and acid.

@Plutonis @kzaofkkua It's more likely to be opium honey given the effects. It would also account for why it both wasn't sold in the shop front and was strongly advised not to do more than one mouthful. The stuff is illegal yet easy to get and overdose kills.

Black seed paste or Qizha is legal and does not produce those effects in the slightest.

Contributor
UAE (which Dubai is a part of) is also an authoritarian regime where you can get arrested for pretty much anything that upsets the rulers. The conditions of migrant workers in particular is very bad.
Portrayals like this chapter help the UAE government hide all those negative aspects away and fascinate the average person.
It is not some modern utopia, but a deeply undemocratic nation propped up on oil money and propaganda efforts.

UAE (which Dubai is a part of) is also an authoritarian regime where you can get arrested for pretty much anything that upsets the rulers. The conditions of migrant workers in particular is very bad.
Portrayals like this chapter help the UAE government hide all those negative aspects away and fascinate the average person.
It is not some modern utopia, but a deeply undemocratic nation propped up on oil money and propaganda efforts.
Not diminishing what you said, but that literally how "tourism" work for every country
Come here, we have a lot of A, B, C.
Just ignore those places or all our terrible local policies.

Dex-chan lover
Yea but so what, are you gonna say if you go to USA you support the country that invaded the middle east? Nobody you interact on tourism is involved with whatever the country is trying to do

Contributor
Yea but so what, are you gonna say if you go to USA you support the country that invaded the middle east? Nobody you interact on tourism is involved with whatever the country is trying to do
The tourism industry is something many countries uses for their propaganda efforts, either directly or indirectly. So people working in the industry are involved in what the countries are trying to do. They may not be the decisionmakers but they are part of it in some way.

But that wasn't the point behind my comment. So far mot chapters of this manga has to some degree showcased the negative/dark sides of different countries. But this didn't, instead only showing the glamorous exterior that the UAE wants people to see. So I left my comment as a counterweight to the overly positive portrayal in the chapter.

Dex-chan lover
The tourism industry is something many countries uses for their propaganda efforts, either directly or indirectly. So people working in the industry are involved in what the countries are trying to do. They may not be the decisionmakers but they are part of it in some way.

But that wasn't the point behind my comment. So far mot chapters of this manga has to some degree showcased the negative/dark sides of different countries. But this didn't, instead only showing the glamorous exterior that the UAE wants people to see. So I left my comment as a counterweight to the overly positive portrayal in the chapter.
Tone deaf if anything, medias portraying the gulf and arabs as a place with people like you and me is less common than all the things you said that's televised everyday. You literally have nothing to be against here with this chapter.

Besides, this is a manga site, stop preaching at parties, you're not bringing an energy anyone wants. Get an actual platform if you really need to say it

Contributor
Tone deaf if anything, medias portraying the gulf and arabs as a place with people like you and me is less common than all the things you said that's televised everyday. You literally have nothing to be against here with this chapter.

Besides, this is a manga site, stop preaching at parties, you're not bringing an energy anyone wants. Get an actual platform if you really need to say it
Other medias are other medias.
I'm discussing this specific manga which has so far always showed off the negative/dark sides of the places visited. Except for this particular chapter which was overly positive. And I felt that deserved to be pointed out.
if you don't like to see my comments feel free to ignore me. You don't have to reply.

Aggregator gang
I can actually second this, my country take pride on our oversea workers. Dubai is a sure fire way of getting yourself screwed over, unless youre working for engineering related work, anything otuside of that have the risk of you coming home beaten and blue, or worse, in a coffin. Especially if youre a female in the field.
If its tourism go ahead, place is good to visit, most emiratebros would even buy you shit for free.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread