Girl Friends

Today I took a trip down memory lane, and it's as bittersweet and as joyous as I've remembered. The long span between releases, the pure agony of a hiatus, and the sweet happiness I've felt during those long years.

Morinaga-sensei, Ris, thank you!

Aggregator gang
This might just be my Western sensibilities as an American, but the whole "getting a girl super drunk and taking her to a hotel room" trope that pops up a lot in manga... That's daterape right? It's just culturally acceptable daterape? Its usually just laughed off or seen as mildly unfortunate, and in this they even congratulate the girl on her "summer romance".

Does that seem f'ed up to anyone else?

Dex-chan lover
@TheManBuck Not sure the context from this manga. I just at chap 1. and most of my read is rom-com and i don't see them. which chapter they did it ?
Over here people do something alike but the girl are awake. boy often try to take girl to the motel but with reason. by telling them just talking, my stomach hurt and the most iconic line "i will do nothing" (it mean lewd thing to be specific). They will slowing move to next move one by one, eventually the girl will give in. for the girl, We believe a large number of them are must like in "Ao-chan can't study".
I sure the congratulate part are manga thing.

Aggregator gang
@Tcof Chapter 12, is the chapter. After the fact, the character in question acts with confusion at being in a hotel, once she sobers up, implying she was too drunk to even be responsive to advances. She might even have been unconscious.

Dex-chan lover
@TheManBuck I think it between our two girl. But no, so the congratulate thing maybe happen for boy (never see in real life though)
Also, in this they both drunk so it even

Dex-chan lover
It's good but i am not exactly sure why it's scored that high.

I read alot of Yuri/Shoujo AI, including dem Doujins/Hentai with various art and story but this time i am unsure why did my taste clashed.

I am certain it wasn't about art and or story rather the amount of text in pages i need to read in order to bring up the point, or those weird side characters that's not fleshed out.

Now i am really confused about my preference of Girls love.

Honestly, so many things I hate in this story...
There's clearly a quality drop for cheap drama halfway through, and Sugi is literally the shittiest person I've yet to come across in a Yuri romcom... But mostly I hate the mangaka's thematic attitude towards her, refusing to reproach her and the other girls' unhealthy 'dating for dating's sake' mentality; not to mention her worldview of relationships as status symbols. Then again, this is a pretty old manga, and societal values have shifted a lot since.

As an actual lesbian woman, I rate this as still one of the best yuri series ever, perhaps the actual best. It's an absolute mystery why "Girl Friends" has never been adapted to anime when so many other top yuri contenders have, like "Sasameki Koto" and "Aoi Hana".

Dex-chan lover
This is one of the great classic yuri. The key moments still bring tears to my eyes. It seems so simple but it does everything right.
Well, unless you're both very young and have no understanding of any culture other than your own on this exact current date. Then you might not dig it. Honestly some of these comments weird me out--it's like these people are so absorbed in a particular subsection of Western internet culture that they have no notion of how things work literally a couple of suburbs over. When I was young I noticed nobody dug Shakespeare because they thought the language was weird and they didn't understand it, and I thought that was narrow. But the oh-so-cosmopolitan kids these days with all the internet at their fingertips have that beat by light-years for narrowness.

Dex-chan lover
The Official English version is split up differently (into 2 volumes instead of 5). This confused me at first, but it covers the same content.

Kinda funny how Mari was always so depressed about being in love with another girl while Akko is like "Hell yeah, Im a lesbian!"

Fed-Kun's army
On the day someone asks me what yuri manga they could read to break into the genre, I'll keep an eye out for airborne swine and politely suggest this title as a must-read. The story is a gold-standard by which I measure other yuri manga. There are other standout yuri stories out there, of course, but I'm never quite so nostalgic for them as I am of Girl Friends. Morinaga has a comforting style, and I've enjoyed other works by the author, but reading this one always feels like coming home. I wish I could read it again for the first time.

well,not really bad though.. great story but not great as its quite a cliche but still worth it...

Dex-chan lover
honestly expected a lot more from the New York Times Bestseller. (which is really cool by the way) the entirety of volume 4 was so asinine

Aggregator gang
Ahh. this is one of my favorite yuri manga, and i think the first ive read with an actual plot back when i was in highschool. It helped me get through the bullying from my "friends" after i told them that my crush is a girl. :D this is a must read for people who are just starting to explore the yuri genre.

Users who are viewing this thread