Gokukoku no Brynhildr - Vol. 18 Ch. 181.1 - Extra End Page

Double-page supporter
This last page is so weird, there is someone hiding in the background, there is a shadow of a woman and I still don't know who the girl is

Dex-chan lover
I remember this last page posted on MAL.

Pretty sure author wanted a happy ending but it is still inconclusive

I think that the author didn't really want all the tragedy but this kind of turned into a giant rolling snowball... So he just went "F*ck everyone, I'm out" ... And he just did that and Parallel Paradise was born.

Dex-chan lover
@Limemaster @lastKANAshimi I haven't read this in years so I had to search up character names, I think the little girl is Kazumi in a new form, the one watching them on the left is Nanami in her second form called Aphrodite and the shadow is probably Kotori. From what I've read its more obvious that the little girl is Kazumi in Japanese because she speaks in the same accent.

Power Uploader
This is not the only new page added to the last chapter when it got collected into a volume. Some pages were split in two and other were add for pacing or giving more context, like the scientist uncle saying he is going to use the fertilized egg to expose the truth and hunt the remain culprits or this more emotional goodbye Kuroha gives to goth loli and the crew. The page count of the pt version i read is 33.

Last edited:
Double-page supporter
The first 100 chapters were total bliss. The action, the characters, the plot development, the fight scenes, the climax, it all worked so well together to make such an engaging story. Add on a harem ending at the end and it easily would have been one of the greats.

The next 50 or so chapters, up until the final arc, could not match, but were very good regardless, since they explored the life of the main cast living as normal girls. The tension in the previous arcs, especially with their need to find the drug to stay alive, was not present. But thats fine, their actions grant them a normal life to live.

The final 30 chapters went fine by themselves but bad compared to the rest of the story. Too many plot twists were thrown. Too many people died, more for the sake of them dying rather than any believable reason, such as Nanmi's persona. This memory limitation is brought up once and then never again, so its obvious this was done to get a cheap reaction from the reader. The final 10 chapters in particular went by too fast, the previous battle in the other climax went double the time, which paid off well. Had there been a final chapter with Ryouta getting a harem ending this could be forgiven, but all I get is a teaser, a great disappointment.

Messaging was heavy. The existence of higher beings, first witches, then aliens, then gods, makes one ask why humans mean anything in the first place. Especially Vingulf's plan of creating a New World, one free of the need of Gods, deals with the big questions in life. Did the author provide a good answer? Of course not lol. First, religious belief, as opposed to general belief, was poorly defined. Second, its not clear how these new, irreligious humans will be any better than the old. I'd say they're much worse, given all these new humans I saw were genocidal freaks. Last, the villians die in the end anyways so the author doesn't agree with their own thesis, namely that humanity is better when unbound from religious belief. Regardless, this is just 30 chapters, much of the story is better than the second climax, which by itself is still good.

Art though did improve over time, good on the author. If this existed in English paperback I'd buy it, but alas Western publishers once again disappoint me.

9/10.

Dex-chan lover
Well, it was a good read.

The tension of surviving for each day without the drug as it was their last, had plenty of moments where I couldn't just stop reading.
Plus they were nearly constantly on the verge of being caught and killed by numerous witches sent by Vingulf.

When they finally found a way to manufacture the drug, hatching at any moment of Drasil loomed over them, making it wort living and not wasting any time before inevitable, while still being hunted by the Vingulf.

Then we finally got more exposition about Vingulf project, which at moment had some rational reason, because humanity has still fear of "gods" that force us from reaching out to our potential.
Unfortunately their goal was to wipe humanity out and make unknown generation of humans free from fear of gods, that was too great sacrifice to side with Vingulf vision.

It ended too quickly, there's nothing what happened about Hexenjagd, quite powerful Onodera didn't get killed even in some side panel and unfortunately Takaya after all good he did to Hatsuna (albeit he is a pervert, but so is she tho') didn't end up together...

b0Y3RiN.png

From the last panel, fucking yandare Kazumi just had to meddle with Murakami and Kuroha relationship.
Aphrodite aka Nanami is stalking them, since Murakami didn't forget her even though she tried to erase herself from his memory.
Judging from the shadow to the left, that's definitely Kotori, her H cup is a dead (no pun) giveaway, but how she ended up in Edda is unknown... at least she had some happy ending from all her dieing.

Overall, nice story, bit rushed at the ending.
9/10

Users who are viewing this thread