Golden Kamuy - Vol. 17 Ch. 165 - Flag Bearer

From those last few pages, and from the way Ogata has been slowly warming up to Asirpa - it looks like he regrets what he did to his brother (perhaps he doesn't fully get that himself... yet), and now here he sees another pure, morally upright and righteous character before him. And like his little bro, Asirpa cares for him despite his sassy attitude #wholesome #heartwarming

He has a choice to make about Asirpa (regarding her safety (?) and future), and he has a second chance now to make a different decision from the one he chose before. Maybe from here on out we'll see him get closer to Asirpa and co? Maybe we'll get a bit of that Heel-Face Revolving Door action?

Idk, just one interpretation out of the many!

Dex-chan lover
@chibivesicle Your analyses is really well done but i have to disagree that all of Ogata's action can be justified with his family problems, there are many people out there that have similar situations but they don't resort to the things he did in the simplistic way he has, i like the layers he has it looks like that he HAS a conscience underneath all that but Ogata IS a sociopath if he was loved all those things could have been avoided but when a child has in them to kill their mother like that they have a serious problem much more than just bad parenting, people DONT kill others that easily man, they just don't.

He may be worse because of his father, but there is only so much you can excuse, Ogata has almost no respect for anyone's life.

Dex-chan lover
Well will Ogara kill aspira to prove to himself that he doesn't have any guilt or will he not kill aspira to redeem himself?

So Ogata is a sociopath.
I think he's starting to feel regret over killing his brother though.

Fave character right here, honestly necessary to have a character like this to kind of look at everyone's goals from the coldest view possible. He has been on just about every team and recognizes how insane everyone is, except he hasn't really badmouth sugimotos motives beyond a condescending "oh that's the woman you love?"

Double-page supporter
I don't understand why everyone seems to like Ogata. He's just a sociopath with daddy issues. Dude killed his own family, has no friends, and takes pleasure in killing people.
Sure, he's an amazing sniper, but in a manga filled with amazingly skilled characters it's really not that big of a deal.

He kills a little girl's father and best friend, and continues on with life as usual with her. Shamelessly going hunting together and even letting her take care of him while he's sick. He's an altogether awful human being and I am dumbfounded that there are people talking about wanting to give him a hug after reading this chapter.
You mean a psychopath. Ogata doesn't have enough empathy and way less emptional to be a sociopath.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
I don't reckon Ogata regrets anything at all. He clearly regarded his brother's attitude as condescending. Mocking even. But killing the guy didn't solve anything. It didn't improve his own lot in life. He still feels mocked and belittled by his brother from beyond the grave.
Ogata isn't the sort of character who deals well with weakness... least of all his own... as his entire sense of self-worth is tied to what he can achieve by himself. Illness isn't the sort of enemy he can shoot in the back of the head though... so he is at its mercy. He is visualising his dead brother as a stand-in for his own self-condemnation for being weak and helpless.

Users who are viewing this thread