Golden Kamuy - Vol. 19 Ch. 187 - Impurity and Sin

Fed-Kun's army
A challenger is approaching! A challenger is approaching!

EUGH WHAT A GRIPPING CHAPTER! Funnily enough no light has been shed on Ogata’s intentions, as usual. Love the guy but I hate everything he’s done to Asirpa, though I think it’s impossible that he isn’t even a little fond of her, albeit in a f***ed-up, Ogata way.

I mean even the throw-back to the scene with his brother, now projected onto Asirpa. I’ve always been fascinated as to why Ogata wanted so desperately for Yusaku to kill the Russian soldier. First I thought he was under orders (or he’s just a sadist lol), but now I’m thinking that maybe he wants to be understood, which is why he was so hurt (?) when he was told that ‘it simply isn’t right’ that people like him exist. Of course, there’s also his antipathy towards everything ‘noble’ and ‘pure’ because of his father, which is also paralleled with Asirpa. I imagine it’s probably triggering for Ogata, because Yusaku and Asirpa are so similar. They attract people with their charisma, are symbolic flag-bearers for the country and the Ainu, and are noble and pure. So in killing that is essentially mitigated and they become like him. Maybe he even thinks he’s helping them relieve a burden, similar to how he believes killing ones parents is necessary to enter adulthood.

Anyway that’s just me rambling, going to shut up now. Really hope Ogata isn’t the major character that kicks the bucket, because that’s a load of wasted potential. Hope Noda has something in store for him, because it’s difficult to foresee how he’ll integrate into the plot after revealing everything. There’s no way Sugimoto and Asirpa will accept him back into their party, even if he gets a genuine redemption arc (please Noda I’m begging you.)

(Edit: predicting this fight will end in one of two ways — either Sugimoto nearly kills Ogata and Asirpa stops him, or Ogata nearly kills Sugimoto, and Asirpa kills him/intervenes. Really hoping she doesn’t get her hands bloodied though!)

I agree with you and I even think that Tsurumi didn't order Yusaku death and that Ogata killed Yusaku in impulse to Yushaku "pureness".

Dex-chan lover
Berserkmoto as arrived.

Edit: I'm the only one waiting for Sugimoto don't recognize Asirpa because someone blow away a little piece of his brain?
Sure, Asirpa still is inside him, but what if only as a concept and is unable to link both person and concept?

And this may be the answer about why certain someone develope Asirpa obsession after eating said little piece of brain. ;)

Dex-chan lover
@Xical
That makes no sense. He's been carrying around Asirpa's photo and showing everyone. Of course he remembers her.

Contributor
@ehscans dude thanks a lot for all of those notes, it's insane how you always provide impressive scanlation and detailed bonus notes in the end mmm...~!

lmao it looks less like Sugimoto's gritting his teeth and more making a big cartoonish AVGN frown.

Users who are viewing this thread