Golden Kamuy - Vol. 27 Ch. 269 - Wilk's Way of Doing Things

Dex-chan lover
Cutting your face off, pretty metal but not sure if it was such a great plan.

I wonder how Ariko will react when he finds out Kikuta was involved in his father's death.
Kikuta seems like a nice guy and he also has a past with Sugimoto that we have yet to see. I'm really curious to know more about him.

In Wilk's defense his plan could have worked if Tsurumi did not get involved, no way he would fall for this theatre.

Also thank you to the translators for explaining the "way of the wolves" in the notes, I did not remmeber that reference.

Whew, it's actually pretty nice to finally see that entire part of the story laid out and explained. I'm hoping for more Wilk just being Wilk though. We got so many solid scenes of his compatriots that it makes his character feel a bit emptier than them, personality wise.

Double-page supporter
He got so immersed with wolves that Kiro forgot he was a tiger and tried to be a wolf. He deluded himself and killed Wilk out of fake sentiment.

@kii95 I don't think it was a bad idea because A. Wilk has less territory to defend which meant all his gold would be pooled to defend a tiny part of the original mass of land they wanted to build a federation around which meant less burden B. The original plan has a big sea that separates parts of the land which meant they would eventually have to choose between defending a bit of Russia, Hokkaido or lose it all if their enemies decide to mass invade one area. Also I think Ariko will side with central afterall since Kikuta could've told him shortly after it happened on good faith in order to secretly convince him to play double agent for both sides only to support central near the end.

Dex-chan lover
@tanooki
Well that’s not quite true there been afew cases of people cutting off their faces,
The below link is about such case that was the inspiration for a character from Silence of the lambs.
Some graphic photos in the link so beware
https://www.practicalhomicide.com/Research/MasonVerger.htm
Usually this involved major drug u

Dex-chan lover
This backstory shit went so much harder than I thought it would holy cow

It was extremely bittersweet seeing Kiroranke justifying killing his former friend and comrade because of their former way of thinking.
I loved it, but man it hurt.
Thank you so much for updating and for explaining things in such detail. I've said it before and I'll say it again, your notes make this experience infinitely better.

for some reason i’m still having a lot of trouble understanding why kiro wanted wilk killed. i have some idea i THINK—is it because their values/goals no longer aligned and kiro thought wilk’s goals at the time would drag him/them down, so he had wilk killed, similar to the way wilk killed the injured man that one time so that the man wouldn’t give away their groups hiding place/drag their group down? does that sound about right, or am i missing something? or maybe i’m way off and completely wrong. if so, could someone please explain it a little better to me?

@Rosen_Ritter Oh! when I talked about Wilk's plan I was referring to the playing dead trick, I knew Tsurumi would not fall for that. I also agreed with your points.

Regarding Ariko, I hope so but I'm also gonna prepare myself for some angst between him and Kikuta.

Double-page supporter
Everyone gets used, everyone gets manipulated. Shit is messed up as ever.

@radiohead Pretty much, yeah. From Kiroranke's perspective, Wilk had changed and wasn't the same ruthless and pragmatic man that would do what it takes to make their shared dream a reality. When Wilk started to be more realistic, Kiroranke took that very personally and like a form of betrayal. Eventually when the hope of seeing the Wilk he admired so much could still live (the Wilk with the resolution to kill a comrade to ensure they all make it out alive, the resolution to rip his own face off and fake his own death) came to him, it also shattered when he took the decision to murder his former friend. He rationalizes this by thinking Wilk was like a weak wolf, so killing him was a mercy.

Double-page supporter
@tanooki
Well that’s not quite true there been afew cases of people cutting off their faces,
The below link is about such case that was the inspiration for a character from Silence of the lambs.
Some graphic photos in the link so beware
Usually this involved major drug u
Is it a red flag if I don't find that image that much disturbing? Maybe because I can't see the details as much but still.

Users who are viewing this thread