Goodnight Punpun - Vol. 13 Ch. 147

When people talk about a "good hurt", this ending is what they mean. I don't know if I'm now sad, angry, or disappointed. Maybe all three. Either way, this is one of the very few manga I can confidently say had a profound effect on me, but, part of me wishes I hadn't read it at all.

For all their flaws, mistakes, and frustrating impossible nature, I will miss every character in this story deeply. Goodbye everybody, and goodnight, punpun.

the world didn't end
July 7th was just a common day.

This ending is so powerful, yet so bittersweet.

So...real...

I've started reading it back when I was 18, thought it was really boring.

I'm 27 rn and I can relate to so much more things.

Punpun is the story Nanjou would like to write, it is not fantasy, it is pure reality.

Was a hell of a ride
Although I still didn't understand why Aiko would kill herself especially after telling Punpun they'd live together forever (maybe because she knew it was impossible for them to be together)
But overall it was great manga indeed and deserves to be called the best seinen manga out there
I'll reread it later sometime to understand somethings I couldn't

ah shit, i’m in that mood again. that mood that keeps possessing me whenever i am left to my own thoughts or when i think of something sad but cannot cry. i have started calling this heavy-hearted, face-burning mood “somber” but it just doesn’t do the trick. it just creeps into my chest out of nowhere and forces me into a melancholic and pensive state. stories like this always cause me to reflect on my life but i cannot tell how much i change every time i go through such a period of personal reflection. i hope with all my heart that i have become a better person after the emotional rollercoaster ride which this story forced me through. it may have been sad and uncomfortable at times, but i’m still glad i underwent this experience. good night punpun.

Aggregator gang
Don't know what vibrations I felt from this ending but I must be honest. I've felt a lot of emotions while reading this and all of them came together in a way that I can't explain or put my finger on. Punpun was a masterfully written audience insert and through every step of the way I couldn't help but feel similarly to the way he did. I doubt anything I read will come close to this in terms of emotional & mental impact.

I was questioning my decisions as an individual throughout reading this and although I haven't reached any answers to them yet, I don't feel as pressed by them as I usually would. Something about the way this manga brought me so low in spirit only to bring them back up gradually was absolutely refreshing

No form of media has impacted me this much as a person and I have never felt closer, not even closer, but almost exactly like the protagonist of a story before.

Goodnight, Onodera-san~

P.S. Eddie if you finish this on MangaDex and see this comment, I fucking love you on some homie shit, and I thank you out of the bottom of my heart for letting me know about this, no cap. This manga changed my life and I'm kinda sad+disappointed that you didn't finish it.

Aggregator gang
I gave it some thought and the ending gives off some pretty shit vibrations. I think Punpun just doesn't want to continue living the way he is. The only thing keeping him alive are his only "friends"

This does make me ask myself the question of whether or not suicide would've been worth it. Is it justifiable in Punpun's case? Is it ever justifiable?

Aggregator gang
@mbuuqw The only thing keeping him alive is the delusion of grandeur from his childhood. Go back to the first few chapters and look at how rose-tinted his perspective surrounding his friends is. Especially his view of Aiko.

This ending is the painful realization that you have to move past those fake ideals. Maybe you're not discovering a new star and winning a novel prize. Maybe you're not going to have a loving post nuclear family life. Maybe you can't be an athletic, charismatic socialite.

That's all fine. Punpun shows that life doesn't necessarily even have to be fulfilling to be something worth experiencing.

Users who are viewing this thread