Gorae Byul - The Gyeongseong Mermaid

I just read chapter one and I am already heartbroken! But damn, it looks good!!! I like the concept a lot!!!!!!!

Group Leader
No, it doesn't feature actual mermaids but what it does have is tons and tons of heartache.

when i looked at the picture while it was small it looked like the male was a horse under water...

Double-page supporter
"I was sold to this house for the price of 6 won"

So a quick note for those readers for whom that means nothing or are more familiar with the modern South Korean won (for a split second I thought she'd been sold for pennies):

Going by the international exchange rates at the time, Soo-a was sold to the Yeo household for a pathetic sum of three U.S. dollars. 😬

I get the feeling that the young miss she works for will be like the princess the prince falls for in the little mermaid.

Seriously ch8 really broke my heart. Soo-a faced too much tragedy, feel scared to read each chapter but it becomes one of my fav. That young miss gonna steal Eui hyeon, isn’t she!? 😤

Is this going to literally make me cry? I try to avoid anything that will make me a blubbering fool.

Edit. Caved in, the prologue already had me f’d up. I can already tell this is going to be good.

I've got to say the flow in the writing is superb. I'm constantly on the edge of my sit waiting for each release.

@hotteokah
good job on the TL so far. *applause*
suggestion: have you considered adding "whale star" / "whale constellation" / "Cetus constellation" / "Cetus" as alternate titles to "GoRae Byul"?

on another note, some have said this webtoon is riding on the anti-japan sentiment that is the current norm in korea.
but the storyline is just that compelling; give the author due credit. and yes, it is based on the fairy tale of the little mermaid.

Group Leader
@dokkotak Ahh thank you! I included "Whale Star" as an alternative title when making the page on bato and anime-planet, but somehow missed adding it while making the MD page, and I have no idea how to edit it 😅 But I guess I deliberately chose to leave the main Korean title as it is because I didn't quite like the sound of "Whale Star" as the name of a prestigious (?) teahouse, and the secondary title 경성의 인어공주 felt representative enough of the plot so far. It is entirely subjective on my part though. I liked "Cetus" more since it was more poetic in that sense as the title is a reference to the secret headquarters, but I feel like it doesn't tie in quite right with some scenes
in which Soo-a has to draw "whale" and "star" in order to look for the teahouse in Gyeongseong
in future chapters. I'm planning to just put a note of explanation if the significance of the name ever comes up later on hehe.

@hotteokah
i think so, too; within the storyline "Whale Star" sounds a bit obtuse, and "Cetus" is just too out there / out of context. sound judgment. keep up the great work!
as for editing the Alternate Titles, i'm thinking you could ask a mod by DM, or use the Report button on the manhwa Title page to request the edit (the former method is prob more certain?).

Didn't expected this kind of story. I thought it was an another fantasy again but man! The story is so goooddd. It reminds me of Mr. Sunshine and The Handmaiden. Now I can visualize Kim Tae Ri as the MC.

If she was gonna kill herself might as well kill ur damn father ugh or better go join that guy and die in a noble cause WHY DOES SHE HAVE TO SAY DESPAIR IS ENTIRELY AND ETERNALLY HERS WHYYYY!!!
*Currently searching for crushed heart pieces*

[Mod edit: Fixed tags]

Users who are viewing this thread