Guild no Cheat na Uketsukejou - Vol. 8 Ch. 38

Power Uploader
:meguupog: MFW: We get a character backstory inside another character backstory.

xzibit-large.png

Dex-chan lover
So she gets the titles of four elemental spirits, but why are only three named? Salamander, Undine, Sylph and? Tierra, maybe?

Last edited:

Tju

Dex-chan lover
Remember when this was about a guild receptionist? Me neither
the author tried to build suspense by making the MC incredibly OP and then repeatedly showing off, that she could have solved all problems by herself with a fingersnip but decided not to due to reasons.
Now that the manga nears its last chapter we get backstory to show the motivations of the MC to not use her powers: the fear of becoming like the cannibal guy/getting drunk on her power.
thats my interpretation at least.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
Thanks for the chapter! In case the manga doesn't make it as far as the novel, is the novel available in English?

Double-page supporter
This flashback of a flashback of a flashback
Did someone takeover the original authors work?
Did original author die? Go on holiday? Sell the story rights? Give it away? Leave the story for someone else to figure out where to take the story and decided this was the most engaging or interesting direction?
I could have sworn the novel was better than this?

Dex-chan lover
Where should I start reading in the light novels if I wanna continue from where the manga ends?

Dex-chan lover
The author should've started with this, it's actualy way more intresting than before the flash back.
I kinda agree but also don't.

I read the wn/ln, and the "In Medias Res" storytelling really works. Because you often have characters from her past show up and move plot forward. It adds a fun little dash of mystery to the SoL, where you learn bit by bit more about her and her past, and her capabilities. It's pretty natural, just like you learn about people in real life.

That said, it's a real waste to just speedrun the origins in a flashback towards the ending of the manga. So dumb to just tell a interesting flashback and then end it. And the story in general probably could've used the manwha/manhua format, which opens the series with a flash forward of some kind, where the series reaches eventually(in this case, it would be a flashback)

All that said, a story that starts with this, goes through her adventures, would certainly be more engaging. Even though I think the Slice of Life works well with in Medias res format, it can get dry at times in this story.

Perhaps a "Arrow"/Tengoku Daimakyou style format would be most optimal for this story. Where the main narrative starts in present time(receptionist) but there is a secondary plot where the past story progresses. With both building/relating to the other story, until things reach a climax and the story unifies in just the present going forward.

Or even something similar to Kumo desuka which told the story in split for at as well(Spider from the beginning, alongside classmates in the academy(future).

Dex-chan lover
I kinda agree but also don't.

I read the wn/ln, and the "In Medias Res" storytelling really works. Because you often have characters from her past show up and move plot forward. It adds a fun little dash of mystery to the SoL, where you learn bit by bit more about her and her past, and her capabilities. It's pretty natural, just like you learn about people in real life.

Thanks for the answer, i'll look up the LN.

Users who are viewing this thread