Guild no Uketsukejou Desu ga, Zangyou wa Iya Nanode Boss wo Solo Toubatsu Shiyou to Omoimasu - Vol. 1 Ch. 6

Dex-chan lover
It is a lot to ask though. You have a site that gives updates to people when chapters are out, nearly everyone uploads to, and provides free hosting for the chapters without ads. Why should anyone have to go out of the way to check some other site for a single chapter? If you want to upload to your site as well, then whatever, that's pretty good for preservation. But exclusively uploading somewhere else or even time gating really, is just a shitty thing. Pretty much kills any popularity a manga could have.
Imagine investing time and effort translating manga for free, and then a claimer complains about having to visit a freely accessible site instead of getting the chapter delivered right in front of their doorstep.

Dex-chan lover
Damn, her final blow missed (on purpose?). You really gotta punish people destroying your home.

Dex-chan lover
Dude I swear if she got revealed.... Sometimes I hate how the characters managed to keep their hidden setting all this time but once we(readers) see it, everything just crumbles.

Dex-chan lover
Imagine investing time and effort translating manga for free, and then a claimer complains about having to visit a freely accessible site instead of getting the chapter delivered right in front of their doorstep.
I mean I'll continue to complain because mangadex is the objectively better experience for everyone. Translation groups don't have to have someone maintain a website (and the associated costs), I don't need to remember their websites/group names, I don't need to be plastered with ads, people don't have to worry about groups disappearing and chapters being lost to the void, chapters get more visibility and thus are more likely to not be dropped randomly.

A better comparison would be more, why should I have to go to a news stand to get a paper when I can get it online? Sure if done absolutely perfectly (which is never done by scanlation teams since they all use the same copy/paste backends) it might be a better experience but I still have to walk my ass to the news stand any time I want to read. Which overall is just a hassle for everyone.

Dex-chan lover
What's this??!?!?! MTL that is not only pretty good but also isn't for a very popular and currently actively translated by a good group series???? WHAT MAGIC IS THIS.

Dex-chan lover
I mean I'll continue to complain because mangadex is the objectively better experience for everyone.
I mean if they had chosen to translate those chapters for their own personal use and refused to make them available publicly, would you also complain?

You have literally 0 (zero) say about what they can or can't do with the work they've done. Stop acting like some entitled brat.

Translation groups don't have to have someone maintain a website (and the associated costs),
Unless you're the one paying for their maintenance and upkeep (and let's face it, you're not), that's their problem, not yours.

I don't need to remember their websites/group names,
But remembering all the names of the Japanese manga you follow is not a problem?

Once upon a time, browsers introduced features such as "favorites", "browsing history", and "session restore" so you wouldn't have to remember anything. Maybe it's time you learned how to use them.

I don't need to be plastered with ads,
Ever heard of "ad blockers"?

people don't have to worry about groups disappearing and chapters being lost to the void,
You're on the wrong site, then.

MangaDex respects scanlators and publishers alike. If scanlators don't want their stuff uploaded here, MangaDex will remove them. And if publishers want chapters taken down, they will. Chapters lost to the void? Happens here all the time.

chapters get more visibility and thus are more likely to not be dropped randomly.
[Citation needed]

You're not generating any ad revenue for them from visiting MangaDex, so why would they care about visibility? Donations? People who are willing to donate are willing to visit their web site. So why would they be less likely to drop the series? Do you have any proof that lack of visibility has ever been a factor in whether a group drops a series or not?

A better comparison would be more, why should I have to go to a news stand to get a paper when I can get it online? Sure if done absolutely perfectly (which is never done by scanlation teams since they all use the same copy/paste backends) it might be a better experience but I still have to walk my ass to the news stand any time I want to read. Which overall is just a hassle for everyone.
They're both online. If you have to "walk" to get to a scanlator's site, you have to walk the same to reach MangaDex. Besides, MangaDex uses the same "copy/paste" backends everyone else does. This forum, for example, is powered by XenForo.

Dex-chan lover
I mean if they had chosen to translate those chapters for their own personal use and refused to make them available publicly, would you also complain?
Yes, because that is a waste. Only uploading to their own website is a much, much better alternative than entirely keeping others from seeing it.

Dex-chan lover
Yes, because that would be a waste. Just like uploading to only their site where the vast majority of people won't see it, outside who might see it from a Reddit post.
Stop acting like some entitled brat.
It's not being entitled to wish for a better experience for everyone. The same way me wishing for raises at a company isn't being entitled, because it also can help others.

Unless you're the one paying for their maintenance and upkeep (and let's face it, you're not), that's their problem, not yours.
It is my problem though because the sites frequently are slow, broken in various ways (often times with page turning on mobile if it's not strip view), and the teams have no one on staff that can really maintain them, because again it's copy paste.

But remembering all the names of the Japanese manga you follow is not a problem?
No, because I don't memorize them, I recognize them.
Once upon a time, browsers introduced features such as "favorites", "browsing history", and "session restore" so you wouldn't have to remember anything. Maybe it's time you learned how to use them.
I don't use a browser to read, I use mangadex as a PWA. I don't want to favorite 100+ manga. browsing history is deleted or flooded often by other things. Session restore would open over a hundred tabs and my phone is older. Maybe it's time you opened your mind a bit.

Ever heard of "ad blockers"?
I shouldn't need an ad-blocker because there shouldn't be ads. Outside of the fact that scanlating stuff is technically illegal, the ads at best are wildly intrusive on sites, and at worst malicious with pop-ups, and beneficial to nobody because there's really no money in scanlating unless you're actively scamming people (both staff. If you're just going to block them anyways why have them?

MangaDex respects scanlators and publishers alike. If scanlators don't want their stuff uploaded here, MangaDex will remove them. And if publishers want chapters taken down, they will. Chapters lost to the void? Happens here all the time.
Crazy how that works. You have to respect DMCA? No way! Official publishers will go after individual sites as well. But notice how you never see respectable scanlators (outside of official translations) ask mangadex to take down chapters? Because they recognize that MangaDex is just the best experience for people to see the work they did for that chapter. Even official TLs sometimes don't take down chapters for less popular English things. Which kind of leads me to the next point.

You're not generating any ad revenue for them from visiting MangaDex, so why would they care about visibility? Donations?
It's crazy how profit oriented half the stuff you've written is. Have you ever considered that maybe people just want to translate things people are going to read to make themselves feel good? Being on MD makes it easier to find staff because people want to work on things they're both interested and that people care about rather than putting out a chapter that gets no engagement in comments, no thanks from anyone, and it feels like you're just wasting you time. C'mon at least put some thought in to this one. But if you really want a source, you can use some basic reasoning: Notice how most of the groups on their own sites used to post to, or presently post late to MangaDex? That's all the proof you need - they still need the attention from MangaDex to maintain numbers. Unless your advertising or have some insane SEO, the amount of people you'll get is 0. Publishers also probably recognize this, which is why they leave some chapters around on Mangadex once stuff gets an official translation, as a sort of taste to get them to buy the volumes/pay for the service. Any stuff that can drive big numbers and advertise itself on varous platforms is removed, like Demon Slayer you linked, or One Piece, etc.

They're both online. If you have to "walk" to get to a scanlator's site, you have to walk the same to reach MangaDex.
It's like you don't know the follow button exists on Mangadex or that outside readers that pull from Mangadex's API exist. I never have to leave mangadex for any of the 159 manga I'm reading. If I had to guess there's probably maybe 80 groups working on them across it? You want me to go to 80 different sites to read because they want to be quirky instead of uploading to what is just objectively the better platform? Free hosting for them, zero ads for us and it's all central. Can even drop a Kofi link if you really want the money.

This forum, for example, is powered by XenForo.
Gestures at the entire rest of the site.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
Yes, because that is a waste. Only uploading to their own website is a much, much better alternative than entirely keeping others from seeing it.
Yes, because that would be a waste. Just like uploading to only their site where the vast majority of people won't see it, outside who might see it from a Reddit post.
Yeah, we're done here. Leeching off of other people's efforts is not a right. Nobody is your slave or servant. Nobody owes you anything, especially not if they poured their time and effort into it and you haven't paid them for it. Your bottomless arrogance tells me all I need to know about the two of you.

Oh, and I'm not going to bother reading the rest of your drivel, so don't bother "wasting" anything by replying to me.

The courtesy in fan translations is that anything that hasn't been updated in 6 months has been forfeited and up for free game in translating. Nice to see someone taking over.

Dex-chan lover
Yeah, we're done here. Leeching off of other people's efforts is not a right. Nobody is your slave or servant. Nobody owes you anything, especially not if they poured their time and effort into it and you haven't paid them for it. Your bottomless arrogance tells me all I need to know about the two of you.

Oh, and I'm not going to bother reading the rest of your drivel, so don't bother "wasting" anything by replying to me.
Dude, that was the first thing I said to you. That was uncalled for.

Since you may have misunderstood me, I'm going to be clear--I'm NOT arguing that groups can't only upload chapters to their own websites. I'm ONLY saying that it is a waste for a group to announce "we did this chapter, but you can't see it EVER"

If you were going to scanlate something for your own usage, why make the effort? If you cleaned it, redrawn it, proofread it, qc'd it, why would you not upload it where others can see it? If it was just for yourself or your "group", then you didn't need to spend all that time making that effort. As someone who worked in a scanlation group a decade ago, I (and anyone in the group) could enjoy the chapter fully at multiple points in the process before release. If any of us worked on it past the point we enjoyed the chapter without planning to release it to the public, we wasted our own time and effort. But it wasn't about US enjoying the chapter--it was always about the community's enjoyment of the chapter that made it worthwhile. I (and others in the group) even worked on manga that didn't personally interest us if they were being done by the group. I sincerely doubt any of us would have worked on things that didn't interest us if only a handful of people were going to ever see it.

That's altruism, not arrogance.

Dex-chan lover
Dude, that was the first thing I said to you. That was uncalled for.

Since you may have misunderstood me, I'm going to be clear--I'm NOT arguing that groups can't only upload chapters to their own websites. I'm ONLY saying that it is a waste for a group to announce "we did this chapter, but you can't see it EVER"

If you were going to scanlate something for your own usage, why make the effort? If you cleaned it, redrawn it, proofread it, qc'd it, why would you not upload it where others can see it? If it was just for yourself or your "group", then you didn't need to spend all that time making that effort. As someone who worked in a scanlation group a decade ago, I (and anyone in the group) could enjoy the chapter fully at multiple points in the process before release. If any of us worked on it past the point we enjoyed the chapter without planning to release it to the public, we wasted our own time and effort. But it wasn't about US enjoying the chapter--it was always about the community's enjoyment of the chapter that made it worthwhile. I (and others in the group) even worked on manga that didn't personally interest us if they were being done by the group. I sincerely doubt any of us would have worked on things that didn't interest us if only a handful of people were going to ever see it.

That's altruism, not arrogance.
He was talking to me I believe, because I point by point addressed his post.

Regardless, you won't get through to him because he looks at scanlation from a profit perspective instead of what's effectively a donation to a community.

Dex-chan lover
I never said they would announce it, though. So there's the source of the misunderstanding.

With that said, I apologize for my previous comment. At least where you're concerned.

Regardless, you won't get through to him because he looks at scanlation from a profit perspective instead of what's effectively a donation to a community.
As for Mr. shit taste, I think you need to look into a mirror.

As you said, scanlation is effectively a donation. People spend their own time and sometimes even their own money to donate a chapter to the community. You have a right to accept the donation or refuse it, but you have no right to demand where they donate or to whom. Things would be different if you had paid them for the chapter, which you haven't.

And no, it's not a waste when someone could donate but doesn't. That's just you believing everyone's your servant. And guess what: even a servant gets paid.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
I never said they would announce it, though. So there's the source of the misunderstanding.

Fine, maybe I misunderstood and we should continue this discussion:

Yes, the scanlators donated a chapter to the community. Which community? The one that's willing to visit their website.

If that's how you see scanlation as, why do you think you have any right to demand where they donate and to whom?

I don't think I misunderstood you. You're seeing scanlators not as donators but as your bitches. Well, they're not.

Now I'm 100% certain there's no point in me wasting my time with you. I'm never going to get through someone so infinitely self-centered that they believe everything is about them.
Well clearly you came back to engage...

Also it's not a community on a separate site if no one reads it. Community is one of interaction, like this beautiful convo we are having now.

Dex-chan lover
Well clearly you came back to engage...
I did, didn't I? Strange, it's almost as if I were a flawed human being. Who'd have thought?

Also it's not a community on a separate site if no one reads it. Community is one of interaction, like this beautiful convo we are having now.
So what if it's not a community? If they chose to donate the chapter to people who visit their site, it's still their right.

Again: why do you think you have any right to demand where they donate and to whom?

Dex-chan lover
I did, didn't I? Strange, it's almost as if I were a flawed human being. Who'd have thought?

So what if it's not a community? If they chose to donate the chapter to people who visit their site, it's still their right.

Again: why do you think you have any right to demand where they donate and to whom?
Is it a donation if you throw your dollar in the sewer in front of a homeless person?

Users who are viewing this thread