Gunka no Baltzar - Vol. 11 Ch. 62

As before, nice job.
I'm an engineering student so my workload is gonna yeet me come September. So I can't pick up this manga, but I shall try to translate a few more chapters before that. Please don't expect too much though)
We'll do our best to be ready to take over by September; that said, if you or anybody else wishes to continue after September I will be happy to assist in any way instead.

I still don't get why they've chosen a solely male name for a girl (that wouldn't have been allowed to join the military in this time and day). It makes me cringe every time I read this.

@anokineko that is the whole point of her name, her father was so desperate for a male heir that he made it so that legally she is seen in the eyes of the law as a male. Its a legal fiction to ensure her ability to serve in the military and inherit the family estate/title, and to go with that legal fiction she possess a male name. It is explained rather thoroughly in the manga.

Dex-chan lover
Thanks for the translation, Tongzhi.

That son of a b*tch prince, what the hell is he trying to do... I just can't make sense of it. Now that they use Free Election, more political conflict will appear and the nation will be vulnerable to all-out war from both sides. If the second prince becomes a king, there will at least be stability to some degree, but this. THIS!!!

Dex-chan lover
@Grimmycoffee

Even if he became a king, provided the nation lasts as long as he does as king (which is uncertain, considering the major powers), the debate would be the same when the next ruler takes the throne.
And there's no guarantee their nation will be in a good a position as they are now, after having centralized a decent part of it, and rid themselves of some of the more headstrong aristocrats.
They might be in a worse situation, especially in comparison to the other nations, meaning the next ruler could be a puppet to one or the other nation.

It's a possibility.
But there's also a chance that someone might assassinate him / dethrone him way before that, leaving it into another civil war.

Dex-chan lover
@Robbini I kinda doubt there would be a civil war if the prince died, there's only one other successor.

The nation won't last unless they become a puppet anyway, so at least having a king give them a chance to stabilize first.

Less aristocrats, but all loyal to one prince. Lots of things would need to be taken care off, sure, but it's better than changing the entire government.

Dex-chan lover
@robbini

I highly doubt, where you were helped by aristocrats, and you then said you will abolish monarchy and restrict your way of getting money and their supposedly rightful territory, you are not hated at all and another rebel doesnt take place!

Dex-chan lover
@Grimmycoffee
The Civil war would be between the royalists trying to prop up that heir and the other factions, either demanding they join another nation or reform their government system.

@Drake98
We've yet to see to which degree he takes it, but I think it's unlikely he'll seize all noble assets and make them commoners, unless they fought against him.
He can however abolish their governance rights, taxation, private armies etc., basically the things that nobility grants them the right to do.
Also, 1)The nobles... numbers at best for the help they gave.
2) He's known to have crushed the other nobles, and they wouldn't have a 'cause' to rally around, which wouldn't allow them to unite as easily or ally eachother, and their men might not be willing to fight for them to keep their noble rights.
3) There's currently a Weissen army in Baselland, and they're effectively his allies, and they're quite skilled. Whether he would take the political & other damage from using foreign troops to subdue internal rebels is another thing though.
4) If he forbids private armies, they might have a hard time having troops, and if he takes away their fiefs, taxation rights etc. they can't feed, pay or supply one anyway, other than looting or forceful taxation, which would hardly endear them to the locals, creating more problems for them.

The prince's national reforms are pretty rapid I see. From cavalry musketoon to repeating/lever-action carbines, nice increase in firepower. I suppose this manga takes place in an era after the American Civil war, but not too far off, since a small country like Baselland hasn't even adopt breech-loading rifles until the late chapters.

Regarding 2nd Prince decision to put a free election, not a wise move.
You don't switch government right after finishing a national crisis. It'll only destabilize the whole thing as the conflict of interest between different parties will only intensifies.
it's a recipe for disaster and God forbid, another civil war.
Should've wait for some years to settles things down before proceeding to that.

Aggregator gang
To everyone discussing the change of system of government - centralizing and controlling the nobility is more or less what the House of Lords (UK) was for.

Remember that the nobility are still an excellent human resource, with detailed knowledge of the land, economy, and military, especially when the vast majority of the common population is poorly educated (remember that the education of commoners was one of the objectives of the military academy). It is useful or even necessary to hire some of them to serve administrative positions in the new government and the reorganized military. The problem lies in assigning the right people to the right positions, so that former nobles don't simply abuse their power. Of note - it's a great opportunity for talented lesser nobles bound by their lower rank, to ascend to higher positions in an elected or appointed government. Additionally, free elections don't necessarily prevent existing nobles from running for equivalent positions in the new government either - so it is entirely possible that a popular and successful noble could be elected to govern his previous territories.

Helmut seems to be pursuing one such path: although she has lost her noble privileges such as military leadership, territorial holdings, and tax collection, she has been awarded a prestigious position in the reorganized military, and may still have a fair amount of wealth to invest with other northern industrialists. She is also no longer responsible for noble government tasks, such as maintaining public facilities, local trade, and law courts, so the other minor nobles who previously formed her cavalry unit can now pursue higher government or military positions directly, instead of being restricted to positions by their rank.

Dex-chan lover
Idk these guys skipped like 8-10 steps of revolution. Abolishing a monarchy that's tangled up with god meets with a lot of resistance and hand wringing.

Dex-chan lover
Wish it "a free election combined with Monarchy" path"

They will need a strong figure head to lead them at least until it stabilize enough or else it will be endless loop of 2 ambitious man fighting over the peak of power.

Slowly from balance between old and new to completely new should be the answer.
The emperor is right, 2nd prince ideal is far too radical... but that where our MC come in

Users who are viewing this thread