Dex-chan lover
- Joined
- Jan 19, 2018
- Messages
- 359
Do you casually discuss traumatic experiences around the water cooler? Especially in front of the cool, scary senpai you find gorgeous and would like to impress? In fact, how many people at do you know whose traumas you also know?I'm willing to be proven wrong because I personally don't remember. But is there any substantial evidence that hinted that he ad a crippling fear of playing in front of crowds. I think maybe a deeper exploration into his relationship with his family sprinkled throughout the story up to this point. Like maybe if there was sense of awkwardness and tension between him and his mom and/or and underlying jealousy towards his sister.
Imo when trauma dumps land without prior setup, it comes across as manufactured drama rather than earned storytelling. But that's just me.
An important theme in this manga, intentional or not, is facades. There are tons of things we don't know, just like the characters don't know. Take Koyuki's half-baked plan to befriend Mio - stupid, yes, but she's young and she thought it was a good idea. Why did Mio go along with it? She considered her ramen habit embarrassing and didn't want it known.
I agree it was abrupt as story development, but I found it realistic in how no one could guess based on Ao's facade. Put another way - if Ao's godly guitar skill without foreshadowing caused no grumbling, why should his trauma?