Hajime no Ippo - The First Step - Ch. 1465 - Left Eye

Dex-chan lover
This is a bit of a retread with the "Mashiba basically fights himself" plot, but it's a different Mashiba now, on a different stage. I do kind of want him to mercilessly pummel Rosario, but I want it to be a technical beatdown that methodically takes him apart, not the dirty brawl, or full restraint he's usually going for.

Dex-chan lover
"THIS is a world championship fight!" "Hes on another level!"

- cheats, anklebreaks, cheats, cheats, cheats, trips, trips, unties his shoelaces, bananapeel on the floor, summersault

this fight sucks what are they talking about

Dex-chan lover
My cynical perspective is that being able to create “advantageous accidents” (and other “dark arts”, shithousing and the likes) is a skill, and on the opposite end is the capability/skill to dodge such “accidents”. This is not limited to boxing, but just about every sport with a level of contact.

I guess the major plot point of Mashiba the character is the challenge for athletes who has a history/tendency of having the red mist descends and how they would overcome these “skills” in dark arts that got enacted on them. And, when they do, they would have redeemed themselves from their past errors.

Dex-chan lover
"THIS is a world championship fight!" "Hes on another level!"

- cheats, anklebreaks, cheats, cheats, cheats, trips, trips, unties his shoelaces, bananapeel on the floor, summersault

this fight sucks what are they talking about
I mean, the whole shlock with Rosario is that he's good enough that he doesn't need to cheat.
Now think about a guy that's good enough to be a world champion but that also cheats, that would be a tough fight.
But ALL of this gets thrown out of the window if we think about how EVERY competent boxer watching the fight could see the cheating, and even then his cheating was a well known habit... And no one did anything about it?
Imagine the backlash there would be if prime, golden age Ali, was losing a title match and then he just started doing elbow strikes and shit like that...
Cheaters (Like Mashiba) where believable because Ippo was an amateur and you can kinda see how a shady guy could be boxing and throwing some elbow blocks and shit, but this is a world title match we're watching and this guy is doing the most on-the-nose stuff possible.

Strike me down with all of your hatred, and your journey towards the dark side will be complete!

Dex-chan lover
Behelit-webp.png

no mashiba, don't use it!!!!!

Double-page supporter
I mean, the whole shlock with Rosario is that he's good enough that he doesn't need to cheat.
Now think about a guy that's good enough to be a world champion but that also cheats, that would be a tough fight.
But ALL of this gets thrown out of the window if we think about how EVERY competent boxer watching the fight could see the cheating, and even then his cheating was a well known habit... And no one did anything about it?
Imagine the backlash there would be if prime, golden age Ali, was losing a title match and then he just started doing elbow strikes and shit like that...
Cheaters (Like Mashiba) where believable because Ippo was an amateur and you can kinda see how a shady guy could be boxing and throwing some elbow blocks and shit, but this is a world title match we're watching and this guy is doing the most on-the-nose stuff possible.
the manga really doesn't actually care about the rules of boxing, they're just occasional plot points that get applied when the author feels like it, like when he wants the readers to dislike a character

Mayday! Mayday! The ship is slowly sinking. They think I'm crazy but they don't know the feeling. They're all around me, Circling like vultures. They wanna break me and wash away my colors (Wash away my colors!)

Users who are viewing this thread