Hajimete no Suwa-san

Dex-chan lover
I give the first chapter a try. Nope, not for me.

The biggest turn off for me is the mismatched of MC's backstory and his personality. He likes challenges, he likes to overcome trials, but WHY IS HE SO WIMPY?!

The girl is good though. Maybe I should stay for a while

Dex-chan lover
I don't really see a mismatch. He's naturally timid, jumpy, nervous and prone to overthinking. He would be a wimp - if he let that stop him. But he doesn't - by overthinking and relating everything to the shounen hero stories he loves, he is eventually able to overcome and face his fears. That puts him head and shoulders above like 90% of male MCs in romcoms.

I used to be terrified of dogs. That was my natural inclination. Eventually I decided I was too old to still be afraid of dogs anymore, stopped avoiding them wherever I could, and now I'm at a level where I'm only afraid of dogs that are actually dangerous - huge ones that snarl and bark. I had to think my way through my fear. It's the victory of the super-ego over the id, so to speak.

reactions are obviously exaggerated, but it's realistically wholesome and cute. the art is also really nice.

@Silfir agree. i think it also helps that the mangaka leans in into making him jumpy and dramatic, because a lot of male romcom protags are spineless losers but get some grand moment where they can be like"hey, look! he's actually cool and dependable!" and then the next they're back to being everyone's doormat for 20 chapters straight. he's also still a kid, so yeah, i get that he's super nervous about his very first girlfriend.

@kwanga123 normally, I'd feel the same way about pushover MCs, but this checks out since he's only fresh out of 6th grade, after all.

Anyway, manga is cute and wholesome. It could shape up to be pretty good.

Users who are viewing this thread