Hanamaru Hoppe - Oneshot

Dex-chan lover
I know this is tagged oneshot, but despite that I just can't help feeling as if I am lacking context :/ Which is odd, as this is tagged as oneshot.
You can definitely see the Shiraishi, Kubo, and Seita peaking through these two :kek:
what?

Group Leader
I know this is tagged oneshot, but despite that I just can't help feeling as if I am lacking context :/ Which is odd, as this is tagged as oneshot.
It's not that it's "tagged" as a oneshot, it is a oneshot. This was published along with several other ten pages oneshots for Tonari no Young Jump's tenth anniversary. I'm not sure what context you're expecting, it's a bite size cute short story, there's nothing else to it.

Dex-chan lover
It's not that it's "tagged" as a oneshot, it is a oneshot. This was published along with several other ten pages oneshots for Tonari no Young Jump's tenth anniversary. I'm not sure what context you're expecting, it's a bite size cute short story, there's nothing else to it.
My point was that it doesn't feel like a oneshot. Feels as if we are meant to read it with context from some other work (aka the anathema of a oneshot).
I dunno if it is that the characters comes from somewhere else (if it is then I don't recognize them from authors prior works, so prolly not), or if it is like you said an actual oneshot that was just written in such a confusing manner. But the feeling that I am lacking some piece of context to their relationship remains.

Dex-chan lover
My point was that it doesn't feel like a oneshot. Feels as if we are meant to read it with context from some other work (aka the anathema of a oneshot).
I dunno if it is that the characters comes from somewhere else (if it is then I don't recognize them from authors prior works, so prolly not), or if it is like you said an actual oneshot that was just written in such a confusing manner. But the feeling that I am lacking some piece of context to their relationship remains.
Oneshots are also like teasers or pilot episodes. It's a short story meant to convey various plot points or "vibe" for what a fully-fleshed out story could be. If a publisher likes it enough, they buy the rights to it, and hire the author to create the full story/manga. They're not necessarily just one-and-done short stories.

The person you replied to earlier mentioning other characters (Shiraishi, Kubo, and Seita) are referring to the author's other main work that just recently finished called Kubo Won't Let Me Be Invisible . You can pretty transparently see the art style/character design/personality traits in this oneshot take inspiration from that manga.

Dex-chan lover
Oneshots are also like teasers or pilot episodes. It's a short story meant to convey various plot points or "vibe" for what a fully-fleshed out story could be. If a publisher likes it enough, they buy the rights to it, and hire the author to create the full story/manga. They're not necessarily just one-and-done short stories.
No, the promo tag is used for teasers/ch0's. And ch1 is used for pilot episodes.
Oneshots are per definition one-and-done stories (doesn't have to be short - so long as it doesn't warrant breaking up into multiple chapters/tellings), as is evident by their name. Yes, sometimes they are then picked up by editors (or the author or any rando) to turn into a full story, but so long as there initially was no such intention when first published, it can still be considered a oneshot (in most cases).
The person you replied to earlier mentioning other characters (Shiraishi, Kubo, and Seita) are referring to the author's other main work that just recently finished called Kubo Won't Let Me Be Invisible . You can pretty transparently see the art style/character design/personality traits in this oneshot take inspiration from that manga.
Thanks, I did realize which manga they were from, but was confused as to why they were mentioned (aside from knowing it was same mangaka, I really couldn't see any noteworthy relation). But that (artstyle and marshmallows) explains it.

Group Leader
No, the promo tag is used for teasers/ch0's. And ch1 is used for pilot episodes.
Oneshots are per definition one-and-done stories (doesn't have to be short - so long as it doesn't warrant breaking up into multiple
That's simply false. Oneshots are regularly submitted to publishers who then put them up for reading and gauge reader interest and use that as a decision on whether or not to serialize the story. There are even Oneshot competitions from which the top stories earn a serialization spot (that's how Kubo got serialized in the first place).

And even then, I'm really not seeing what you're missing from this story. There's really no other information needed they are cousins, she is a small condensed ball of sugar, they bake pancakes. End of story. I'm not sure what else you need.

Users who are viewing this thread