Happy World!

Dex-chan lover
Ah, the memories. I like the manga, but it's certainly bizarre. A unique manga to be sure. Uniqueness isn't always a good thing, but I recommend giving it a shot anyways.

It has its moments, throughout its overall pretty so-so by today's standards (though it was pretty unique when it was first scanlated way back then), but as it moves forward the characters begin to shine and their personalities and relationships take center stage.

The best thing is that as it reaches its conclusion the story REALLY picks up speed and the ending is just excellent, if you like non-harem, ecchi somewhat battle manga with concise and excellently executed endings this is for you (and yes, the MC does get better and less outright unlikable they all do).

Shouldn't there be an incest tag?
Later into the story he finds out he has the same mother as Elle.

Dex-chan lover
This manga is one of a kind in the dramatic shift in tone from beginning to end. It starts as a fairly generic romcom, although immediately has heavy elements like Kusakabe's fight to be accepted despite her fragile health. Takeshi begins as a fourteen year d asshole who, even with his hard past, is an unlikebale character. This means the manga requires patience to read, as over the course of the story he transforms into a strong and likeable character.

The story tone shifts an enormous dehree around halfway to the point the first half and second half feel like different manga. If not for the characters being the same I would think these two were two different pieces written by the same mangaka. It goes from a generic harem romcom to a psychological wonder whose themes touch the meaning of life, passive versus violent resistance to subjugating forces and disjointed families. The romcom of the first 50 chapters feels almost like a prolog that builds the characters that face their psychological challenges for the last twenty chapters.

Given this manga had large themes, it is fair to critique them. The conflict between Palmekia and Isuldan is obviously Israel and Palestine. It even begs the question why the mangaka went through the effort of creating subtle name changes (Isuldan - Israel. Parmekia - Palestine. Lenoban - Lebanon, and so on) only to give us a map clearly showing Israel and Palestine in chapter 58. It felt the mangaka wasn't confident in his analogy so had to give this, but it ruined the fiction-like feel that made this manga's criticism of Israel, specifically its occupation of Palestine, work so well. In addition, Israel's near-demonic portrayal, such as the shoot down of an airliner or massive refugee camp raids feel like propaganda. While Israel did these things, it was decades before the manga's creation and not representative of the current (2006 that is) Israeli government's plans.

Its also odd the manga just accepts Rasara becoming the leader of Parmekia because her father was the previous ruler. You only see such power transfers in dictatorships like North Korea or Syria and should at the least have been questioned. I can criticize Isuldan's heavy-handed tactics but Parkmekia is clearly in the wrong too, which I'm disappointed the manga didn't touch on.

Despite disagreements with the message, it is respectable the mangaka tackled these problems in the first place. The change in tone from romcom harem to themeatic wonders felt fantastic, a unique experience I doubt few manga have done before or after. This is a great manga that, with some patience in the first half, blooms into a fantastic work by the end.

8/10.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread