Harukanaru Ring - Vol. 1 Ch. 1 - I've Decided!

Dex-chan lover
Thanks for the chapter I hope you continue all the way through. I talked to the guy that uploaded this to the archive on Twitter. So he hopefully got the word out to people to check this out. Also I think he was gonna reach out to you.

Anyway, thanks again !!

Dex-chan lover
conk.png

Ah, the 90's... when a lot of folks really didn't know any better about the deleterious effects on the brain due to repeated trauma to the head. Well, at least in hotblooded mangaworld we can hand wave all of it away.

Dex-chan lover
Am I the exception in not liking this at all? I wasn't exactly hoping for another Teppu, but this doesn't really look that good even with tempered expectations.

Fed-Kun's army
Alright, thoughts and questions -

Did people know what Hindu Pushups were in 1990s Japan?
How common were women in martial arts and combat sports in the 1990s?
Was it normal for a gym teacher to hit a student repeatedly without worrying about getting fired?
Was it normal to hit your kid like that?

Dex-chan lover
Kind of get where you are coming from. It's hard to understand the context of a different culture in addition to what cultural norms 30 years ago in the 1990s.
Yeah, just from the first 10 or 20 pages. You can really tell what generation the author grew up in. This might’ve been Published in the 1990s, but the guy writing it definitely grew up in a less than forgiving point in Japan.

Dex-chan lover
I’m not gonna lie, very dated writing, but I really wanna see where the author goes with this. MC is already charming and I relate to the desire not to go out with regrets

Hey I'm glad other people are working on Harukanaru Ring! I'm finishing up my translation of the first volume.
I'm impressed by the hand-lettering, that's great stuff!

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
Alright, thoughts and questions -

Did people know what Hindu Pushups were in 1990s Japan?
How common were women in martial arts and combat sports in the 1990s?
Was it normal for a gym teacher to hit a student repeatedly without worrying about getting fired?
Was it normal to hit your kid like that?
You could probably go back to the 1980's too, if not further back. Hindu squats are the more lauded exercise amongst pro wrestlers of that era, with guys like Ric Flair and Iron Sheik boasting of doing hundreds in one go. Hindu pushups wouldn't be any more exotic.

I know in Japan there was a kakutougi boom during the 1990's, where all things fighting and fighting related experienced a renaissance of sorts. I think, as this manga shows in the second chapter, a lot of girls and young women were inspired by female pro wrestlers, leading to a lot of aspirants. In actual combat sports, though, women's presence not nearly as common and overshadowed by the men. I think there just weren't enough women to make up a decent division for a while.

Supporter
Sheesh, lifting dumbbells until your hands bleed, that's metal as all hell.

Not into wrestling but I like the spunk of the MC and the drama. I'll follow this story.

Dex-chan lover
You could probably go back to the 1980's too, if not further back. Hindu squats are the more lauded exercise amongst pro wrestlers of that era, with guys like Ric Flair and Iron Sheik boasting of doing hundreds in one go. Hindu pushups wouldn't be any more exotic.

I know in Japan there was a kakutougi boom during the 1990's, where all things fighting and fighting related experienced a renaissance of sorts. I think, as this manga shows in the second chapter, a lot of girls and young women were inspired by female pro wrestlers, leading to a lot of aspirants. In actual combat sports, though, women's presence not nearly as common and overshadowed by the men. I think there just weren't enough women to make up a decent division for a while.
HOLY SHIT dat is some cool pro wrestling lore!!! Makes a lot of sense to considering it was around the 1980 Shooto MMA hit the Japanese scene

Users who are viewing this thread