Harukaze no Étranger - Vol. 3 Ch. 8

Why are there so many mangaka/translators that write/translate yaoi/BL, but don't understand the basics of the lgbtq+ worldview and language ussage?!

So many characters say they aren't gay or feminine for example, but they feel sexual atraction towards men. Is this just because japan hasn't learned of bi-people or just because of some backwards stereotype/trope of gay people being able to "trick" straight people. In most of these manga it is clear that the characters aren't ignorant, so it seems like it really is the authors.

Dex-chan lover
@Eusebius You can't say worldview without actually understanding that its just a false tautology. There are different understandings of lgbtq+ within a cultural scope, some things are clear, some things are not, some are universal, some are highly culturally isolated. Likewise, this is not a biographical or a politcal piece, but entertainment to be consumed, and part of the entertainment is the drama. To further your questions, I would point you towards an article about Queer in Japan; search up that and look for an article by Steven Wakabayashi
/

Of course i recognice that there are cultural differences within the wider umbrella of perspectives, after all I'm not american either, so a lot of lgtq-culture fits differently into my life as well, but I don't know exactly what the disagfeement here is. I know that this is just entertainment, but a misleading piece of entertainment hints at a wider problem and pepetuates said problem. As for the steven wakabayashi article, I'm afraid I'm not quite sure wich article you are reffering to, but I'd love to read it if you linked to it. Again, I'm not quite sure what your point is here so feel free to specify if ypu wish.

That's great! Prejudices exist in all cultures though i'm merely curious how it differs in east asian countries and what type of misunderstandings are common there.

@satorusbf same, for real... every time he says he's not gay I want to punch the screen 😂😂 it's something very common in bl's mangas the "I'm straight but I like you" 🙄

Users who are viewing this thread