Hatsukoi Algorithm - Ch. 6 - Amamiya Wants to Research Alone

Dex-chan lover
Joined
Sep 13, 2018
Messages
207
I disagree with people thinking this is going one way or another. Traditionally in setups like this if theres a designated winner she gets most of the screen time early, they don't try to give you an equal set up between all the girls, especially early on they front load the winner, Tsumiki is a good example. Same with Komi. Granted in both of those cases the girls name was on the cover but.

If this wasn't headed towards both the author wouldn't be spending so much time at the start evenly distributing the two girls to build equal stock with them with the audience. It doesn't sell to do so and then go to one girl.

Granted the idea of the MC actually ending up with multiple girls is a more recent development in romcoms, but I'll cut off my autism here by just saying, structurally this is being written for him to end up with both, and if I'm incorrect(Assuming no axe), I'll quote this comment 3-4 years from now.
 
Dex-chan lover
Joined
Apr 4, 2020
Messages
387
I disagree with people thinking this is going one way or another. Traditionally in setups like this if theres a designated winner she gets most of the screen time early, they don't try to give you an equal set up between all the girls, especially early on they front load the winner, Tsumiki is a good example. Same with Komi. Granted in both of those cases the girls name was on the cover but.

If this wasn't headed towards both the author wouldn't be spending so much time at the start evenly distributing the two girls to build equal stock with them with the audience. It doesn't sell to do so and then go to one girl.

Granted the idea of the MC actually ending up with multiple girls is a more recent development in romcoms, but I'll cut off my autism here by just saying, structurally this is being written for him to end up with both, and if I'm incorrect(Assuming no axe), I'll quote this comment 3-4 years from now.
I would agree with you if she wasn't already covered in all the "I like him but he can't accept my feelings" flags.
 
Group Leader
Joined
Sep 5, 2018
Messages
524
I disagree with people thinking this is going one way or another. Traditionally in setups like this if theres a designated winner she gets most of the screen time early, they don't try to give you an equal set up between all the girls, especially early on they front load the winner, Tsumiki is a good example. Same with Komi. Granted in both of those cases the girls name was on the cover but.

If this wasn't headed towards both the author wouldn't be spending so much time at the start evenly distributing the two girls to build equal stock with them with the audience. It doesn't sell to do so and then go to one girl.

Granted the idea of the MC actually ending up with multiple girls is a more recent development in romcoms, but I'll cut off my autism here by just saying, structurally this is being written for him to end up with both, and if I'm incorrect(Assuming no axe), I'll quote this comment 3-4 years from now.
I WANT TO BELIEVE

But even if you set Kujou aside, I just don't like the smol. Maybe I'll warm up to her later, but her character rubs me the wrong way.
Maybe because I might have been that bad when I was a teenager...
 
Dex-chan lover
Joined
Apr 4, 2020
Messages
387
I would counter that with the fact that losing Gyaru has been really popular recently(Thanks Komi) and we're starting to hit the subversion part of the trope cycle for it timeline wise
copium-meaning-e1662494143102.jpg

Mangakas can drag tropes for over thirty years, I wouldn't get my hopes up.
 
Dex-chan lover
Joined
Jan 4, 2025
Messages
179
I disagree with people thinking this is going one way or another. Traditionally in setups like this if theres a designated winner she gets most of the screen time early, they don't try to give you an equal set up between all the girls, especially early on they front load the winner, Tsumiki is a good example. Same with Komi. Granted in both of those cases the girls name was on the cover but.

If this wasn't headed towards both the author wouldn't be spending so much time at the start evenly distributing the two girls to build equal stock with them with the audience. It doesn't sell to do so and then go to one girl.

Granted the idea of the MC actually ending up with multiple girls is a more recent development in romcoms, but I'll cut off my autism here by just saying, structurally this is being written for him to end up with both, and if I'm incorrect(Assuming no axe), I'll quote this comment 3-4 years from now.

I like a lot of what you said and I'm in favour of this outcome as someone in the Kujou camp. Maybe I haven't read enough manga with poly endings so I'm not really sure if what you say about traditionally in setups like this is true or not. But the way I evaluate it is when the author seemingly delegates equal time to both heroines, it's the interactions themselves that help me determine what the author is building towards. Now, I will say currently as it stands I do believe he is attracted to both on some scale.

The real separator though comes down to narrative foundation. Going back to chapter one, Amamiya helped Yukito realize what he actually wants to do after feeling out of place at a school full of geniuses. Amamiya is the person he actively wants to assist with research. Amamiya is the reason he started the club etc. Even Kujou herself states to Yukito that he's pushy when it comes to Mamirin. And this could just be kindness and worry for her, but I think there's something about her that he's drawn to.

On the flip side, if we look at things from Amamiya's perspective, Yukito is helping her grow too. Helping expand her worldview and being open to working with people which she was previously against. It's that mutual attention that leads me to believe that Yukito will end up with Amamiya.

Kujou and Yukito have had moments too for sure but nothing really beyond the usual subtle romantic hijinks. Although she does have the childhood friend thing going for her but we know how that usually goes.

But that's my 2 cents. Thanks for the translation!
 
Dex-chan lover
Joined
Aug 20, 2024
Messages
498
Part of me kind of hope this takes the route of "Yane no Shita no Artemis" where it doesn't appear that main girl is a winner but instead ends up being made a more well-rounded person by spending time with the MC who's figuring out his own relationship things with a different girl.
 
Group Leader
Joined
May 27, 2023
Messages
179
I like a lot of what you said and I'm in favour of this outcome as someone in the Kujou camp. Maybe I haven't read enough manga with poly endings so I'm not really sure if what you say about traditionally in setups like this is true or not. But the way I evaluate it is when the author seemingly delegates equal time to both heroines, it's the interactions themselves that help me determine what the author is building towards. Now, I will say currently as it stands I do believe he is attracted to both on some scale.

The real separator though comes down to narrative foundation. Going back to chapter one, Amamiya helped Yukito realize what he actually wants to do after feeling out of place at a school full of geniuses. Amamiya is the person he actively wants to assist with research. Amamiya is the reason he started the club etc. Even Kujou herself states to Yukito that he's pushy when it comes to Mamirin. And this could just be kindness and worry for her, but I think there's something about her that he's drawn to.

On the flip side, if we look at things from Amamiya's perspective, Yukito is helping her grow too. Helping expand her worldview and being open to working with people which she was previously against. It's that mutual attention that leads me to believe that Yukito will end up with Amamiya.

Kujou and Yukito have had moments too for sure but nothing really beyond the usual subtle romantic hijinks. Although she does have the childhood friend thing going for her but we know how that usually goes.

But that's my 2 cents. Thanks for the translation!
I, too, want Kujou to win.
 
Aggregator gang
Joined
Jul 19, 2023
Messages
107
Gyaru seems to have so lost already. There are 5 (give or take) shots of Amamiya that take whole page or at least half. Gyaru has 2, where one is chapter cover and the other is a bit of a stretch (since it's a full body shot on a side of a normal page).
 
Dex-chan lover
Joined
Mar 13, 2019
Messages
1,707
copium-meaning-e1662494143102.jpg

Mangakas can drag tropes for over thirty years, I wouldn't get my hopes up.
True. We're still reading and getting into manga that copypastes Love Hina (every romcom), Dragon Ball (every battle shonen) or Sword Art Online (argh).
Hell, Reiji Miyajima can singlehandedly stretch a trope worth 20 chapters (tops) for 5+ years and counting.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Top