Hazure Waku no Joutai Ijou Skill de Saikyou ni Natta Ore ga Subete wo Juurin Suru made - Ch. 45.2

Group Leader
Bro is gonna get the forbidden spell to defeat the goddess "Ex curse: correction"

Dex-chan lover
Not the scan, the people of this world literally say his name differently, typically.
I'm not referring to his name occasionally changing throughout the series, I'm referring to the scanlators changing up the spelling of names in this chapter, sometimes from panel to panel.

Eve calls her dad Eidim, the witch next panel calls him Aidim. This switches back to both Eve and the witch calling him Eidim later on. The witch also calls herself Erika, but then gets referred to as Erica later on.

But also for the MC: Eve calls him Toka, but the witch then calls him Touka, even if people have their own names they call him, the witch learned his name from Eve saying it, so if anything she should be saying it the same as Eve. Eve also, despite calling him "Toka" earlier, calls him Touka later in the chapter.

I can't find the raw for this chapter atm, but I doubt any of these are intentional/in the actual raw. It's just the typical thing you see around of people not having a concrete idea of how they want to romanize things, and not keeping track.

Group Leader
It's not strange for east and southeast asians to speak in third person. It has nothing to do with age either. It's just a character quirk. In Malaysia for example, even men would call themselves in third person when in front of their parents or siblings because saying some variations of 'I' can be considered rude, uncouth or distant. It's just a different culture from what westerners are used to.

The Japanese also hates using pronouns, so you may rarely hear a Japanese person say any variation of 'I' such as watashi, atashi, or atai in casual conversation with people they are comfortable with. You'd probably hear 'boku' being spoken in casual conversations among friends because it's a masculine form of 'I' and there is a difference in gender expectations in Japan. But if a Japanese person say 'watashi' in a conversation with you, it simply means they don't consider you a friend.

Yes, but that's only for family, elders, or close friends, not strangers. That's why other people find it strange.

Dex-chan lover
One day I hope to be invited into a dark elf mommy's house. I need to find the nearest trucking route, and a nice big bush to hide in.

Dex-chan lover
Yes, but that's only for family, elders, or close friends, not strangers. That's why other people find it strange.
The family stuff was my reference to Malaysian norms.

It is similar in Japan, sure. But in Japan, it's quite common for a person to refer themselves in the third person as opposed to using pronouns. It is also quite common for businessmen to refer to each other and themselves by their surname or not use pronouns at all. For example, when Tomoki Asagaki speaks with Meguri Sasaki, he might say, "How is it going, Sasaki-san?" and she might say, "Sasaki-san is doing well. How is the family?" and he might say, "The boy is doing well in school, the wife is very busy with business."

Of course, these could be easily replaced with 'anata' and 'watashi' but most often, the pronouns are completely omitted even when the person's name is not used to replace the pronoun. Japanese people really hate pronouns, even 'anata' can be considered rude. But the point is, there is no norm that encourages a Japanese person to use pronouns. A person's name by itself can be a preferable first person pronoun.

Other than that, third person address can also be uttered as a method to show derision or annoyance.

Users who are viewing this thread