He Is a Magical Girl

Dex-chan lover
@NuclearStudent
It's difficult to say. What determines a person?

Memories? We forget stuff all the time. Not just little things, important things too. If you argue that amnesia makes you a different person, but forgetting minor things does not, then where do you draw that line? It has to be somewhere between forgetting what you had for breakfast and complete amnesia. But I've forgotten plenty of things, even foundation memories, and I'm still the same person.

Personality? Personality shifts over time are common, and a traumatic experience can lead to sudden shifts. Neither of these mark the death of a person though. Our desires and feelings may change. Are they what defines us? Even if we never had control over them to begin with? Even if you suddenly begin feeling and acting different, you still maintain a continuous stream of brain activity. Are we still the same person even if others see us as radically different?

The physical brain? If so, how much can be shaved away before we stop existing or become someone else? People have survived some incredible brain injuries in the past. Is it only total brain death that matters? What if you could split the brain in half and keep both halves alive? Would you then have two separate people? What if you put them back together? What would the subject experience? What would happen if you flash froze a brain, then thawed it out. Would it be like going to sleep and waking up, or would they have died and a new person been born in their place with all of their memories? How would you even know? Not every part of the brain is tied to higher thought. Which pieces could be replaced while maintaining the whole? What if you replaced the brain one cell at a time? Would there be a point where you become someone else, or would you still be yourself even when none of the original remained?

We start out as single cells with no awareness. Somewhere between there and adulthood we become conscious. Where is the dividing line? From before we are born to the moment we die, our brain activity never ceases. Even when we sleep or are knocked unconscious, it's still active, we just aren't aware of it. I would argue that so long as that brain activity is continuous, we exist as the same person. When it ceases for the last time, we die. But what if it's only temporarily interrupted. Do we persist? What if you slipped into a coma, and lived the rest of your life unconscious? Never aware, but still dreaming. If your conscious train of thought never returned would you still be yourself?

I guess what I'm saying is: it's complicated.

Double-page supporter
Interresting concept, not a lot of GB really deal with sexual orientation change (most of the time genderbent characters just succumb to the dick or something).

le3

Dex-chan lover
What I thought it will be: Funny gb story
What I get: What the fuck this is quite scary

probably that's why my pp hard

I forgot how I even found this and why I am even reading this, I was looking for my spiritual leaders and ended up here.

Fed-Kun's army
>He became a magical girl, and his buddy fell in love with his magical girl form
Isn't this premise a bit misleading? It's the girl form falling in love with his buddy; his buddy's feelings aren't known yet.

Dex-chan lover
inb4 the best solution is that the protag uses said magic and divides.

Fed-Kun's army
@Turkeyjerkey
In the case of the manga, it appears that there is continuity between the consciousness of the male and female forms, so I would consider that the seemingly hormone-fuelled difference in personality between the male and female forms to be considered the same person and personality. Because there are massive changes in personality based on circumstance in normal life anyway that I consider more significant than simply developing feelings for someone you already feel strong camaraderie for. See changes in personality due to exhaustion, alcohol and other drugs, normal day to day changes, and especially puberty. The hormonal and corresponding personality changes define teenage life, and the changes before and after, while not as fast as the transformation, changes someone's personality significantly more. People not only tend to develop feelings for people they are close to during this period (sound familiar?), their entire mental state and the way they react to external stimuli also changes significantly. We still consider someone the same person with the same personality during puberty, so I think it should be the same in this case as well.

Dex-chan lover
@pokepower246
In the case of this manga, I would agree. I think the dividing line is continuity of brain activity. Each conscious brain is a unique frame of reference with regards to observing the universe. Regardless of what changes occur, so long as the line is unbroken that same point of view still persists. If it is broken, that frame of reference disappears forever. All ways with which brain activity could totally cease, but later be restored are currently theoretical. Even in cases where people supposedly "die" but are revived, there was some level of brain activity the whole time. Here there appears to be complete continuity between the mc's forms.

Aggregator gang
hEH another for the pile of "dont fuck around with magic, kids"

poor guy slowly loosing himself.

I think it will reach a point where the female MC don't want to transform back anymore if not the male mc won't transform into a magical girl anymore

The author really did think of interesting plot from time to time...
it's not really brand new but nonetheless is interesting.

Users who are viewing this thread