He Is a Magical Girl

I know that a lot of comments interpret the magical girls effect on MC as a scary, "loss of identity" situation, but I honestly think of it as the opposite. I do understand where that mindset is coming from with recent magical girl anime in the vein of Madoka, but a lot of magical girl animanga before Madoka portrayed the transformed self as something more idealized and different from the protagonist. An enhanced self, generally speaking. Princess Tutu comes to mind, but it's not uncommon for a the magical girl self to reflect what the character wants to become.

With that I mind, I don't think the MC potentially changing because of his transformations is scary, because I think this could be a story of the MC confronting his gender and sexuality, his "self." Of course, the MC /is/ scared, because it's scary to be young and fall in love with your friend. Scarier, then, to be LGBT. It's not wonder he'd have trouble confronting his "enhanced, idealized" self.

...Well, I could just be looking too deeply into it. It's a comedy series after all. It was really fun analyzing what there is here, though. I'm thankful to the author for these comics.

Thank you hachirumi scans for the translation!

Contributor
This seems to be taking the consequences of its magical bipolar sexuality premise just seriously enough that I'm kind of tempted to add a "psychological" tag—be it his identity crisis or just the inherent uneasiness of having your feelings for someone turned on and off with a magical switch. But, still, 70% of it is just comedy, and I'm not sure the author intended for one to parse it in such a sightly-grim manner, as I have...?

I dunno, what do other people think?

Users who are viewing this thread