Henkyou Gurashi no Maou, Tensei shite Saikyou no Majutsushi ni naru

Wow this thread is... Harsh.

I'm used to seeing people expect every manga/anime to be a masterpiece, then completely throw a tantrum and say they dropped it when it doesn't turn out to be as good as <insert person's ideal Masterpiece X>. There'd be no literary or arts industries at all if everything was compared to the few outstanding pieces through the centuries.

Or maybe I just keep my expectations relatively low.

I can only judge this based on the translated manga chapters so far, but I don't think it's that bad. In the MC's first life he doesn't seem to know much about his own roots and existed only to be persecuted. Even when he finally found a place where he could settle and was seen favorably, people still saw him as an "other". Having found the satisfaction he felt from being helpful but still keeping the trauma of not feeling like he belonged, it would have been weird to have him turn into a confident leader for the people who had given him solace. It made sense the MC would choose to sacrifice himself to protect others as if it was what he deserved.

So his second life with his previous memory + cheat ability is par for the course of this genre. But emotionally he is supposed to be growing up and has some peers of the same age for the first time. It's kind of a first life/second life hybrid. So now he can see the consequences his self-sacrifice had, including the effect it had on people who had grown closer to him than he was capable of processing mentally in his past life. So now he's got a growing number of people he wants to protect and grow up with, which means not just using his cheat ability and taking over, but instead keep from attracting unwanted attention, and a journey to protect the legacy of those he left behind in his previous life.

The way it's executed means this ain't no masterpiece. It follows typical traits of the mass production of works of this type of genre. But at least it's not to the point of 'I'll just use my previous life's knowledge to invent crop rotation and now all the girls want to be in my harem'. There's a second heroine so maybe that's enough to see it as a harem, but I'm more interested in seeing how this one develops since the first heroine was kind of 'built-in/ a carryover' from the previous life. So the second heroine should have more of a first heroine type development that's happening over time. I liked how despite his previous life's cheats he's not barreling through, but instead has had emotional growth that he can recognize other people as allies instead of alienating himself and is able to rely on others to make up for his inexperence.

So I hope at least there's enough people working on it with interest that it doesn't stall/get dropped at least till I see how things turn out on this trip and with this heroine.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread