Henkyou no Yakushi, Miyako de S Rank Boukensha to naru - Vol. 1 Ch. 1 - The Frontier Healer

Dex-chan lover
You are correct because I remember seeing it as a top post on r/manga. Idk how to post the imgur source on here besides the link but it's in the reddit post for viewing. Such disrespect to the artist imo because there better ways of censoring than just blacking out everything. The funniest thing is that they're aren't consistent with it because you can see her butt on the 3rd page.
Lmao yeah, it was that one, i remember i went out of my way to use vpn to check out how the translation was and i stumble upon this chapter cuz it was currently free, since i saw the raw one before i was sorta surprised how much they censored it

Kodansha what are you doing, not even Manga Up global was this bad with the censor, at least Square removed the censor a couple months after, and they removed some series from the playstore version, but keep them in the ios uncensored (probably google was giving them problems, who knows)

Dex-chan lover
I sincerely would like to ask why manga authors cannot go 10 seconds without making a support skill a major damage dealer in it's own right. He's medicinal doctor, let him be a doctor. He does not need to one-shot every enemy within a million miles just for the sake of a power-up that amounts to jack-squat for 90% of the series.

Also why didn't he argue his childhood friend further? He's just some random kid your grandpa picked up? He's his literal apprentice and heir to the very shop you're standing in. He has EVERYTHING to do with it.

Dex-chan lover
I don't really like OP character (perhaps since being the only one special is unrealistic irl), but the little detail which mention that the entire village is a village of heroes makes it many times better.

Dex-chan lover
anyone got spoilers of the bitch from the novel?
From what I got :
She is marrying him for money and status, seems like that is all she cares about.

The lord is a narcissistic idiot, whose families status is reliant on maintaining something he has been putting no effort into because it has not been a issue do to factors he was not aware of and did not look into, idiot basically is marrying her to extort money from the village, former heroes have a lot of funds, and has her immediately increase the prices to 5 time current. (the village is outside his territory, so he has no authority over it)

The village has other people who care about it, one being a merchant(?) guild master he can not afford to offend as his territory is partly dependent with doing business with her(?) guild who will cut off all business due to their treatment of the village. Her dealings with him were to have a stop over point on her way to the village.

Things go wrong, lord loses his wealth, status and gets made a slave (for disrespecting the king, I think largely for lying to the kings face about his effectiveness at his family's duty)

She has to go back to the village and live there as a alchemist, looked like she got a crash course in it from the MC so she would not be to incompetent.

Dex-chan lover
Dam never seen such a horrid woman other than Bitch from shield hero.

Thanks everyone over at Laid Back for the translation

Dex-chan lover
Okay, so, for the sake of draaaaama, he comes upon a bunch of wounded men, and does basically nothing to help them until someone suggests that he fetch a healer for them.

Dex-chan lover
Okay, so, for the sake of draaaaama, he comes upon a bunch of wounded men, and does basically nothing to help them until someone suggests that he fetch a healer for them.
Serious answer:
Aside from finding out what kind of people those soldiers are, he also needed to stay vigilant against whatever it was that wounded those soldiers. Looking at the way that girl asked for help from Dead End showed that they had no malicious intent towards the village, and she said the damage was caused not by human but by monsters so helping them wouldn't involve him in possible battle of interests.

Not serious answer (maybe):
MC is weak against young women, so he moved immediately after he saw that that woman soldier had amputated arm.

Which answer do you prefer? :meguusmug:

Dex-chan lover
Serious answer:
Aside from finding out what kind of people those soldiers are, he also needed to stay vigilant against whatever it was that wounded those soldiers. Looking at the way that girl asked for help from Dead End showed that they had no malicious intent towards the village, and she said the damage was caused not by human but by monsters so helping them wouldn't involve him in possible battle of interests.

Not serious answer (maybe):
MC is weak against young women, so he moved immediately after he saw that that woman soldier had amputated arm.

Which answer do you prefer? :meguusmug:
The problem with the serious answer is that the plea for help didn't substantially change his information set. If his prior probabilities and his base values argued for not providing assistance before the plea, they should have continued to argue thus.

The problem with the second answer is that nothing in the storytelling prepared us for such an interpretation.

Really, the delay in his action was just a cheap device, that should have been vetoed by the editor.

Dex-chan lover
The problem with the serious answer is that the plea for help didn't substantially change his information set. If his prior probabilities and his base values argued for not providing assistance before the plea, they should have continued to argue thus.

The problem with the second answer is that nothing in the storytelling prepared us for such an interpretation.

Really, the delay in his action was just a cheap device, that should have been vetoed by the editor.
For reason 1:
The girl asked him to fetch a healer, which means that they would wait and that there's no immediate threat present. Otherwise they would ask for direction instead and tried to escape. The way she plead for help showed that these people were not malicious towards the village. The girl said that the damage was done by monsters, so him helping them wouldn't get him involved in the battle of interests between humans. I think that's ample information to lower his guard and start to help. Arguing in that situation would be weirder.

For reason 2:
It's a joke answer because MC moved right after he saw the amputated arm. And he was acting extremely shy and awkward when the girl held his hand because he never dealt with young beautiful girls aside from the Vile Woman, so.

Dex-chan lover
For reason 1:
The girl asked him to fetch a healer, which means that they would wait and that there's no immediate threat present. Otherwise they would ask for direction instead and tried to escape. The way she plead for help showed that these people were not malicious towards the village. The girl said that the damage was done by monsters, so him helping them wouldn't get him involved in the battle of interests between humans. I think that's ample information to lower his guard and start to help. Arguing in that situation would be weirder.

For reason 2:
It's a joke answer because MC moved right after he saw the amputated arm. And he was acting extremely shy and awkward when the girl held his hand because he never dealt with young beautiful girls aside from the Vile Woman, so.
The argument for the first interpretation has him making multiple unjustifiable inferential leaps. For example, in real life and in fiction, people often plead for help exactly from people whom they previously attacked, and even more often if they merely planned to attack those people; people even attack those who had previously given them aid.

As to the second reason being offered in jest, at this stage a critique should recognize that the proposition that the story itself has comedic elements, and any criticism must consider whether this bit of writing was comedic. But it could not be justified as comedy.

The author could have made a proper job of things merely by having the woman make her plea just as he arrived. But the author was cheaply seeking drama.

Dex-chan lover
The argument for the first interpretation has him making multiple unjustifiable inferential leaps. For example, in real life and in fiction, people often plead for help exactly from people whom they previously attacked, and even more often if they merely planned to attack those people; people even attack those who had previously given them aid.

As to the second reason being offered in jest, at this stage a critique should recognize that the proposition that the story itself has comedic elements, and any criticism must consider whether this bit of writing was comedic. But it could not be justified as comedy.

The author could have made a proper job of things merely by having the woman make her plea just as he arrived. But the author was cheaply seeking drama.
Then let's put aside the part of them possibly being malicious or not. It's the least important one, anyway. What about the other, more significant parts of Reason 1? About no immediate danger and not getting involved with human war? Even though they are all just things MC may have thought of.

Why would people not allowed to make a joke if the base story was not a comedy?

Lastly, about the thing that you stressed out so much: having the woman make her plea just as he arrived. How do you know how much time has elapsed between MC looking over the injuries and those girls coming back? How are you so sure that he had ample time to start healing before they arrived? How can you even know when he finished checking their wounds?

Dex-chan lover
Then let's put aside the part of them possibly being malicious or not. It's the least important one, anyway. What about the other, more significant parts of Reason 1?
The reason that I gave just one example is that picking-apart each of the multiple unjustified inferences is tedious.
About no immediate danger
That inference hangs on guesses about the awareness and prioritization of these strangers. (People lacking situational awareness are in fact more likely to get hurt, and hence people who got hurt are more likely to lack situational awareness.)
not getting involved with human war?
Again: He still didn't know.
Why would people not allowed to make a joke if the base story was not a comedy?
No one said that. The point is that the second suggestion that you made couldn't be waved-away as a joke, because the story might be a comedy. Why the fuck are you making discussion so fucking tedious?
How do you know how much time has elapsed between MC looking over the injuries and those girls coming back?
Even if he's someone who moves very fast, the time that he spent doing what he was actually shown doing could instead have been spent healing. Why the fuck are you making discussion so fucking tedious?
How are you so sure that he had ample time to start healing before they arrived?
This question is essentially just a tedious reiteration.
How can you even know when he finished checking their wounds?
This question is essentially just a tedious reiteration.

Dex-chan lover
No, Oeconomist-san, why are YOU making discussion so tedious? And you started swearing too.

You persisted so much while rejecting any possibility of MC being able to read the situation better than you would have in that situation. He has super human capabilities. I just said that he COULD HAVE done or thought the things I wrote. Were you just being stubborn?

Alright, I guess it was my mistake giving you those two reasons. And you took the second reason so seriously even though it was clearly labeled not serious. So let's forget those reasons.

I will try to explain the "drama" more clearly to you instead.

Page 28:
Panel 1: Overview of the area
Panel 2: Close up of an amputated leg
Panel 3: A soldier groaned which alerted MC that someone's still alive
Panel 4: MC approaches the soldier and asked if he's alright (no he's definitely not fine but everybody always asks this)
Panel 5: MC assessing the damage and injuries and he couldn't recognize the cause
Panel 6: MC heard a sound from behind that surprised him
Page 29:
Panel 1: Overview of the girls
Panel 2-5: The pink girl pleading for help while MC looked over their condition
Page 30:
Panel 1: MC finally took something out from his pouch

The only time MC could possibly have time to do any healing is in-between Panel 4 and 5 and 6 of page 28.

Before starting healing, it's normal for healers to diagnose the patient's condition first. How severe was it, what there a poison, or what if there're things lodged in their wounds. He may had to look around checking their wounds. Looking at the pacing, it's almost sure that MC didn't have any spare time to do anything more before those two girls came back. When the girls came, MC assessed their condition too while the pink girl plead.

Now, let's say that as you said, the girls never left the scene, saw MC as he came and immediately plead for help. It'd still be extremely normal for MC to approach the soldiers and look over their wounds first before he starts concocting the medicine. And while he's doing that, the girl would still plead the same thing because she wouldn't have known that MC is actually a healer. It'd be more or less the same, with the soldier woman maybe asking "What are you doing?" earlier.

Basically, the "drama" you mentioned that "prevented" MC from giving them medicines immediately was MC assessing the situation and diagnosing the injuries first, just as what healers normally do.

Dex-chan lover
You are correct because I remember seeing it as a top post on r/manga. Idk how to post the imgur source on here besides the link but it's in the reddit post for viewing. Such disrespect to the artist imo because there better ways of censoring than just blacking out everything. The funniest thing is that they're aren't consistent with it because you can see her butt on the 3rd page.
Blackbox size competition winner...

Dex-chan lover
The end makes the setup make no sense. You have a village full of ex heros but they are gonna let a corrupt granddaughter and Baron exploit an apprentice who takes care of everyone in town...... I get the just need him to leave for the story but at least try author.

Dex-chan lover
for a second, i thought she intentionally behaved like that to set him free from the village.

Users who are viewing this thread