Heterogeneous Linguistics - Vol. 2 Ch. 17

Dex-chan lover
@cryum I think we have similar examples of that in human kind that exists outside of the internet, no? When politicians are in their house of commons or w.e there are always multiple people talking aloud, though there are many listeners or those who are talking to those closely about what those who are talking aloud are saying.

Maybe "it" in that dialect has slight conjugations he can't pick up on? That would explain the confusing and varied implied subjects.

Dex-chan lover
@Tych

pg 8 : Talking All at Once
"We decided on building kilns." 2nd on the right
"You give me the materials, I make it." ??? not visible?
"We need charcoal for the kilns." all the way on the right (not including MC of course)

Dex-chan lover
interested to see how they will fix the bridge, or if they will even fix it at all.

Fed-Kun's army
This chapter was pretty neat, seeing an example of non-directed or "broadcast" speech where what they're saying isn't necessarily directed at someone in particular, and anyone can choose to ignore it or pick up and continue the conversation. Really blends in well with the "craftsman's mentality" of the place which someone before me mentioned, and/or how the lamias tend to all communicate at once.

There's at least one cultural group that does this, but I can't remember which, or where it is. Really losing all my linguistic/anthropological stuff I learned in college...

The lizardmen and the werewolves being sane while still conversing simultaneously is some regional trait they have learned from the lamia I guess (since they're the most common species in that place)?? Since some chapters ago, they tap-tapped on some board with multiple lamias treating it like they're talking to each other at the same time like some chatroom-esque coversation....

Too cool

@MinMan1 I think a chatroom is probably the best analogy. The Lamia tap-speaking is mechanically similar to morse code in that the speaker is indistinguishable from another speaker. Every lamia, werewolf, and lizardman sound similar via taps. So if you imagine a chatroom without usernames associated that is how they speak. Very similar to how chat is many conversations and statements at once.

Having lived with the Lamia and communicated with them through this method for so long, the others converse through the same linguistic structure. In a way mirroring how we incorporate elements of our communication methods in our everyday speech.

It seems that to begin a conversation you address a particular statement with a question and this establishes who the dialogue is with. From there it relies on continued engagement, continuously identifying the speaking parties, or else it dies and goes back into the main pool.

I think that is what Kekoo and Kashoo mean by “You can choose whether to listen (or) not”. Meaning that he chooses if he wants to converse or not with any speaker from the pool by questioning or requesting them. It’s not a conversation demanding a personal response unlike our common way of speaking.

Users who are viewing this thread