Higanjima

Beginning is alright, but it gets incredibly dumb as you go on. Characters actions make no fucking sense, they keep repeating the same shit over and over, and most of them just seem so stupid. At one point it seemed like some characters' mentality had regressed.

Adding some cover in, uh, Covers Section.

I'm not a fan of Kouji's manga pages, but his illustrations are on another level

Group Leader
You asking for spoilers?

Long story short, it doesn't end well for anyone. Story continues onto season 2.

Double-page supporter
So I spent over 9000 hours in MSpaint making this approximate map of the island from going through the entire thing. Feel free to use it however you please. Contains spoilers.

NKJpkbR.png

In Chapter 82 it is labeled as Chapter 72 on the cover. Just a heads up so it can possibly be corrected! Thanks.

This manga is surprisingly good and does not hold anything back when it comes to mature themes - think of it like Berserk from Kentaro Miura. The only downside is that protagonist becomes unrealistically strong in just 1 year of training and can now somehow take hordes of vampires and gigantic creatures with just his sword, while still being just a human. At least with Guts he trained and fought his whole life to gain this strength.

This manga is terrible. I got through 30 something chapters and I could tell way earlier it was bad. The dialog is hyper repetitive and silly and so is the reasoning of the characters. On top of that the action scenes often make little sense and the expressions are poorly used. Plus barely anything happens in a sense. Things could be so much more condensed.

There are way too many moments in only 30 or so chapters where Akira has a super serious dark shaded determined expression where he isn't doing shit and relying on Ken or his brother to do everything. It becomes so comical. Dramatic look after dramatic look while doing nothing. They should be better timed. The whole premise is silly. Ken gets upset that a vampire emasculated him by making him piss himself in front of his friends by biting his neck so everyone goes with him to an island that could be swarming with vampires just so he can get "revenge" when the group did kill the vampire that humiliated him. Sure, they say they're going to rescue the MC's brother but Ken makes it really clear this is just them fulfilling his revenge fantasy. We get the MC explaining with his thoughts they just can't refuse Ken's orders because "it's always been like that." And they bring tons of strangers into their personal vendetta to die.

The combat scenes are so silly. Ken and Katou seemingly whacking a zillion vampires before they're subdued while they attack from all directions while they're on the boat. A giant monster being able to wreck a big wooden crate with one swing but it never hits hard enough to kill anyone and its claws conveniently never connect with flesh. It's got the giant long razor teeth and they bite into a guy but it's ok. Ken gets stabbed with a spear but I think when they see him a few days later he's emaciated but the wound isn't visible.

It's all so forgettable I actually had trouble remembering a good example of how bad the dialog is. There's a part where the MC's brother explains vampires needing blood. We get it they're vampires. One guy states the obvious and he says he's sharp minded. We're told multiple times how the vampirism spreads. Let's move on. And silly stuff like everyone thinking "sure let's rescue a guy because it's just the thing to do." The MC's brother points out it's silly to try a rescue because it puts many lives at risk and he just replies "humans aren't just numbers." I'm sure a better translation could make it sound better but it's just so bad to start. And of course he pouts and starts storming off saying they'll do a rescue without his help when they're essentially helpless without him. It's so cliche and bad. The characters are supposed to have finished high school, they're not supposed to be little kids.

this manga is so bad that I can't really stop reading, I just want to keep reading to see how bad it is. Is a "roots" battle shounen with all the cliches, but everything is taken serious so is hilarious.

This manga is a "turn brain off" battle shounen (or log-wielding action, as the Japanese fans call) horror manga with too much graphic content to be consider as a proper one -therefore seinen-.

The premise and backstory are honestly pretty interesting overall, the execution tho... I have the impression it is made in a so-bad-is-good way on purpose all the way, especially considering how the "anime adaptation" was made with the help of the author himself (and how he pokes fun of his own absurdiness here and there). It isn't meant for us to take too seriously, albeit the characters are doing so in their own way. It's just a quite fun addicting ride full of memes and cool horror imagery. That's the reason why is popular and has a dedicated cult following in Japan at the very least.

If you are here to any sort of complex and well developed plot and characters, you are reading this series wrong, and should just stay away from it as it isn't for you. Anybody else will likely just have a blast with just how crazy and unbelievably ridiculous (not to call just straight stupid, as there is some evident self-awareness in regards to a lot of things in this, if you look at it with other eyes) this series gets.

This is some of the most entertaining page-turner horror manga I've read in a very long time (since my Junji Ito marathon period), even if I also mock some very dumb things that happen in a certain arc to this very day (as they kinda keep coming up again later on).

There's a good reason this manga has a very specific niche and audience that likes it to the point of consistently buying it for more than a decade (we are at 70 manga volumes atm, likely the biggest long-running horror manga in Japan if you not count JoJo as one). If you are not part of it, just drop it, there's no need to go out of your way to express how bad you think a manga that clearly seems made to be a "so bad is good" title actually is lol

Users who are viewing this thread