Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Meguri - Vol. 5 Ch. 19.2 - Akarigurashi-hen Part 5.2

Dex-chan lover
Story was saved, just like another anime sequel that bombed hard and was later saved by a superior manga adaptation. The time between chapters was painfully long, but the story wrapped up nicely this time around. It's nice to see everyone happy at the end. I'm sad we didn't get a thrown chair, as that was one of the very few good parts from the anime, but I'll gladly accept this significantly superior story as-is.

Also, Satoko is ABSOLUTELY STACKED at the end. Girl's got superior genes.

Story was saved, just like another anime sequel that bombed hard and was later saved by a superior manga adaptation. The time between chapters was painfully long, but the story wrapped up nicely this time around. It's nice to see everyone happy at the end. I'm sad we didn't get a thrown chair, as that was one of the very few good parts from the anime, but I'll gladly accept this significantly superior story as-is.

Also, Satoko is ABSOLUTELY STACKED at the end. Girl's got superior genes.
Which anime/manga was that?

TGS

Group Leader
On one hand this works better than the DBZ fight. But on another hand, Eua just withdrawing is way too easy lmao, there really should have been a finale with Hanyu making her fuck off.

Eua even states that she did curse Satoko into getting those constant dead ends where Rika & Satoshi inevitably dies. So… why stop now? She even said it, « giving her short term hope ». This is just that, she could have Satoshi die in front of Satoko and mindbreak her further then. But instead Eua acts like it’s completely over. The entire point of Satoko’s murder spree in the manga is that she did it because each fragment ends with them dying from Eua’s curse anyway.

Dex-chan lover
It was kinda anticlimatic but I am so glad they didn't do the weird DBZ/Touhou fight. This version has been a lot of fun to read, I'm happy they fixed the mess that was Gou/Sotsu.

Thank you for the translation!

The whole manga felt like Tomato was making an apologize letter for SG. Like half it feels like Tomato got stuck with a shitty assignment and he was trying to finish it because he had to but also he didn't want to cut corners because he loved the OG Story. Like I think he genuinely tried this best, because he loved the OG story and understood it better than Passione, but you know what they say, you can't polish a turd.

Ultimately it's a story that shouldn't have existed with like 10 lines of plot stretchered for 2 manga and 30 something episodes anime, with most of it being filler (either because it repeats shit from the original, but without it meaning anything, or because it's literally a filler fragment that won't mean anything) Like can you believe we watched/read the "Rena goes crazy arc" 4 times between SG and Meguri and none of it meant or added anything to Rena's character.

At least it's not offensively bad as SG, but it's kinda just underwhelming and the story really never had much "mystique" so to speak.

KZO

Dex-chan lover
I like to think the final scene of them coming to the classroom holding hands is finally saying to their friends they got together as a couple.

But yeah, Eua gave up too easily considering even Satoko is afraid someday she could randomly wake up back in 1983 even after getting the good ending, considering that technically happened to Rika this time it's a legitimate worry. Though maybe if that happens she either could just not become hopeless again and instead work together with everyone, or go completely deranged and truly become a witch.

Lol Satoko got off lightly and IDK how I feel about all this but I'm glad my suspicions were confirmed about the looping curse not being lifted in the end. It's sad how it's a good conclusion for everybody else but the 2 while they wait for their inevitable doom in the future unless Hanyuu's blade still has its use. Still a good ending, albeit temporarily.

The TV series is ironically the fragment she found that didn't bore her, and thus we got LambdaDelta and consequently Umineko. This fragment was the Satoshi route which gave a happy ending, but was a dead end for Eua.

Interesting...

Much better ending than Sotsu. I'm just so glad that DBZ/Touhou fight got scrapped altogether because that felt so out of place and doesn't feel like Higurashi. I like that instead of Teppei becoming the one that stopped Satoko from her madness, it was Satoshi in the manga. Satoko caring more about Teppei than her friends in the anime just didn't make much sense. It was nice to see that Keiichi and Satoshi ended up becoming friends when they finally met. It's also interesting that all of Rika and Satoko's friends know about Satoko's sins in the current world and they seemingly forgave her anyway. Satoko actually has some regret and guilt in the manga unlike in the anime where she was all smiles and remorseless at the end. In the manga, it seems to be implying that Satoko lived the rest of her life in depression and worries so she did get some sort of punishment.

Sotsu had a good start, but really fumbled at the end imo. Like most of the comments say, Satoko got off too easily and Eua just gave up just as much. Like, it really begs the question what's even the point of Eua's character. All she is in both GouSotsu and Meguri is that she's a plot device to give Satoko looping powers. And she's the reason why Satoko got desperate because Eua flipping pulled the strings for Satoko's decent into madness.

Also, idk how I feel about Satoko giving up and letting Rika go just like that. The only reason is because "Hey, Satoshi is here now! All is good! Keep living into the future, Satoko!" It felt like Satoko just replaced clinging to Rika with Satoshi. The feels speech at the end felt half-hearted because this only happened a year after 1983. Everyone will still leave sooner or later. And then she's back with only having Satoshi left and he's gonna be with Shion later down the line. Yet she still wishes to never be alone.

That's the two cents anyway. Other than that, GouSotsu and Meguri's been a ride. Some enjoy it. Some don't. Some rather have this instead of Sotsu. To each their own. Cheers.

Double-page supporter
I don’t like this ending… it’s better than the anime but I hate the insinuation that satoshi only wakes up because satoko did all this bullshit. I’m even ok with him just randomly waking up in this world. Like how hanyuu is tangible in the original. But this rewards her for torturing rika… and it feels like the only reason she didn’t keep going was because satoshi being alive means she doesn’t have to hyperfixate on rika anymore.

i enjoyed it a whole lot i love this series
first time i actually realized that satoshi is pretty cute and im glad that he suddenly appeared :3

This is a better ending than Sotsu's. It makes sense to reach such a conclusion, and yet I am here feeling a little empty.

I wonder what kind of purpose did these 'remakes' serve in the end? A commercial scheme? Advertising Ciconia? Establishing a connection to Umineko? I don't see the purpose of this at all.

Users who are viewing this thread