Hime Kishi wa Barbaroi no Yome - Vol. 3 Ch. 15 - Fantasies are the scales of the heart.

Dex-chan lover
so ...
from what I understand of the last part
the "expedition" is basically to kill the people and lessen the mouths need to fed?
That’s what I thought is implied too....
Sera did mention that they manage to take land every expedition, so that infers the land gained is too small (in terms of resource production) had most of the expedition members survived, I guess....
Just can’t help to think that if that is the case: sending people (partly as population control) and resources to the grinder for insufficient return like that would have destroyed the country after the first few expeditions (yet they lasted 700 years doing this...).

Unless.... the more of the expedition crew dying the more fertile the land would be or something like that?

Dex-chan lover
Looks like it is both to expand the kingdom's territory and to forage(?) food. The thing with Seraphina's expedition is that, despite her status and disappearance, she is still of de Lavillant--a significant loss to the family, and her expedition she led yields little loot. So, the foodstuff they get will have to be shared with all the citizens and the surviving expedition force; an egotistical view regarding logistics.

Dex-chan lover
That’s what I thought is implied too....
Sera did mention that they manage to take land every expedition, so that infers the land gained is too small (in terms of resource production) had most of the expedition members survived, I guess....
Just can’t help to think that if that is the case: sending people (partly as population control) and resources to the grinder for insufficient return like that would have destroyed the country after the first few expeditions (yet they lasted 700 years doing this...).

Unless.... the more of the expedition crew dying the more fertile the land would be or something like that?
doesn't make sense as expedition need a lot on rations. not to mention the loss of worker that could be farmer, rancher, etc2.

Dex-chan lover
Practically they harvest their lands without proper care, making it infertile, forcing them to conquer more land and also hoping to lose enough soldiers/conscript citizen to reduce their food consumption.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
doesn't make sense as expedition need a lot on rations. not to mention the loss of worker that could be farmer, rancher, etc2.
Exactly, it would have been an idiotic decision that would collapse their country after the first few. The weird thing is they manage to keep that up for hundreds of years, so there’s something more than what’s told in the story so far (hopefully!).

Dex-chan lover

Their population is already too high to support as is, and these soldiers have spent years focusing only combat so it'd be easier to just let them die and raise the new generation on farming.

Another possibility is that they're basically using souls of the dead in some kind of ritual to revitalize the land because they don't know the 'proper' method like Vuer's group.
Much like how the sister thought she was using 'holy' magic but...

Dex-chan lover
Their population is already too high to support as is, and these soldiers have spent years focusing only combat so it'd be easier to just let them die and raise the new generation on farming.

Another possibility is that they're basically using souls of the dead in some kind of ritual to revitalize the land because they don't know the 'proper' method like Vuer's group.
Much like how the sister thought she was using 'holy' magic but...
technically corpses can be fertilizer i guess.

BTW, love your PFP.

i should re-read negima.

Dex-chan lover
I was expecting an asshole noble who wants her dead in order to serve her true purpose and her brother couldn't care less if he ever sees his sister again, but I did not expect them to be one and the same!

Contributor
Gotta appreciate how supportive the husbando is, like it genuinely comes across that he’d be ok but sad if she left. Stoic mf

Also, Japan being Japan, I sort of doubt the brother cares as little as he appears to about his sister lmao

Dex-chan lover
technically corpses can be fertilizer i guess.

Not corpses, souls/wills.

Like how they explained that the land will absorb 'willpower' back from the person who used magic (i.e. the sister's memories) back in ch 13.
Either the humans don't actually know their magic is doing that (again, the sister didn't know what her magic was really doing) or the higher ups knew and chose to use the war for more souls to sacrifice.

But that'd leave behind sediments which will spawn demons because human obviously haven't done purification rites.

I expect part of the future plot is that the West will soon suffer from massive demon outbreak because Sera's expedition, per this chapter's lore bit, has been the longest lasting one.
When they go to do their ritual to use the souls of the dead, there's too many and bam, demon horde.

Sera will then ends up fulfilling both of her choices by saving the West from demon outbreak + teaching them how to maintain the land properly, and get to marry Vuer either after returning to the East because there's more exciting things here (dragons to fight) or they become the new King/Queen of the West to ensure humans don't repeat the same mistakes.

Dex-chan lover
Ah yes, the good old "gets surpsied, she can't swallow food, hits chest, she gets water and passes it down" thingy.
I've never met anyone that has ever happened that

Users who are viewing this thread