Hime-sama Tanuki no Koizanyou

Dex-chan lover
I hope his mother gets hit by a truck tbh, what an annoying character

Dex-chan lover
everyone is annoying in this because no one will tell anyone the truth. except miyu. if MC-kun would just say what his deal is then they could sort shit out but no he has to act like a cagey fucko that can't make up his mind for 50 chapters.

Dex-chan lover
I hate when the mc gets in trouble for not knowing something with the person that didn't inform them but should've

Group Leader
@shinjikun10 - Not likely to happen. I just discovered by accident that it has been licensed and completely published in English already. See Amazon.

Less work for me. I purchased the entire series on paper some years ago, but due to me working on too many series at once, I never got around to seriously working on it. I have chapter 13 scanned, cleaned and transcribed... and that is the way it will stay forever now. I refuse to work on series that have been licensed for publication in English. Worse yet when the entire series has already been published.

@rpapo can you vouch for the translation then? I have trust issues with translators.
the localized title is a huge warning flag to me. if they've localized too much I'd rather import the JP original and plow through that.

Group Leader
@GizmoJP - The translation itself seems fine, but there are other quality issues. Most bona-fide publishers feel they must localize the title in order to appeal to a wider audience than the hard-core otakus. Sometimes they even change the cover art (think Spice and Wolf). As a scanlator myself, I see that the graphics could have been handled better. It looked to me like whoever was doing the Photoshop work for them was working under pressure. But then again, a business is out to make money, so spending extra time for artsy reasons tends to be frowned upon.

Rarely do I find a localized title that has an awful lot to do with the literal meaning of the original title. Part of that has to do with the length and awkwardness of anything that conveys the full meaning of the original title, and sometimes it has to do with inventing something catchy in English. Case in point: what was "Karin" in Japanese, and would have been perfectly usable in English as well, since it was the name of the principal character, was instead replaced with "Chibi Vampire" in English. Not that that was a bad choice, but it was radically different from the original series title.

With regards to this particular series, I cannot judge it entirely yet, as I have only read the first three volumes so far. A certain light novel series "So I'm a Spider, so what?" has distracted me.

@rpapo ah, I am enjoying the manga of that novel. I'm not much for reading text only, so manga/anime adaptions is what I stick with.

I did some research of the best way to legally get my hands on this series and locally, only the german version was available, it had a better title imho! "Tanuki princess".
for the english version my best bet was Kindle... meh.
jp version is "free" with kindle unlimited or about $80 for all the volumes shipped, so I'll probably go with that.

(p.s I find most localized titles annoy me more than anything. "plus sized elf" comes to mind, totally omitting the "trying to loose weight" part. the french title being "50 shades of oil/fat" isn't better...

Users who are viewing this thread