Himegoto - Juukyuusai no Seifuku

Really loved this, The ride is pretty fucked up but in the end it was worth it.

Dex-chan lover
I'm glad I didn't drop this one. I've really liked it, even if I can't really pinpoint what made me think that.

Dex-chan lover
It ends with the classic
coming of age ceremony
which shows its quality (or lack of it)

You know that image of the otter eating watermelon? He absolutely hates it but can't stop eating it? I'd say it was like watching a trainwreck in slow motion but that implies that there was some kind of enthralling, enjoyable element that kept me reading. I couldn't enjoy it on any level and forced myself to keep reading in hope that it would resolve itself with a happy ending, and while it did but I was still disappointed with the result. I didn't drop it because the story unresolved made me feel worse than when I was actively reading it. This is something I've never said before because I think it comes across as entitled, but I honestly wish I never read it.

Double-page supporter
Mikako shouldn't call herself pure or natural.I'm glad she's enjoying the opportunities though.

Aggregator gang
Everything is messed up. Everyone is messed up. Their past is messed up. But I love it. I also love the ending.

So, prostitute meets horny virgin + another prostitute (trap) sounds messed up and actually is. Everyone here kept making bad choices and acting like it was the smartest moves and ended up digging a deeper sh*t hole.

Group Leader
@ganggangnigga
Take into account that she's laughing while spelling those words.
In a way she's even right: she's sticking to her nature and not lying about herself

Group Leader
I particularly liked this last chapter panel
x25.png

By the way, these tracks fit surprisingly good with ending chapters
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrVSEvRbqvo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEXO15RX36Y

Group Leader
@potatoesriceandbread ?
Trust me, you haven't really read something you wished you never read yet if you think that.
This is nothing compared to Kago, Maruo or that Mai-chan abomination.
Under some perspectives I think that even "Tomo-chan is a girl" is worse than Himegoto
(this doesn't make fun of teen pregnancy or family abuses like that one)

@DjAlexDubCheck
Unfortunately, for both you and I, you are incorrect on that front. Using the examples you listed, their saving grace is there is at least an element of comedy inside them. The works of Shintaro Kago are dripping with satire, and Mai-Chan's Daily Life is so absurd that you cannot take it seriously. It's most grotesque act is overshadowed by the dialogue of the man doing the deed (IT'S AWWWWRIGHT!). By comparison Himegoto is played completely straight faced, and because of that it has disturbed me more than Mai-Chan's Daily Life. Don't misunderstand, they still disturbed me but I was always able to walk away for a breather or dismiss them completely in my mind, this is something I was not able to do with Himegoto. It haunted me, and even though completing it exercised me of that feeling I don't feel any richer from the experience. I can take solace in the fact other works like yours listed have at least desensitised me and made it easier to consume works involving guro elements, where as Himegoto has not made it easier to read or enjoy Kuzu no Honkai, Koi no Uso, Netsuzou TRap, etc. This is why I continue to wish I never read Himegoto, because I honestly gained nothing from the experience other than saying "I read it and hated every minute of it." It's why made my original post, because very few pieces of media have made me feel that way. Maybe I was hoping someone would reply to me like you, to somehow validate the time I spent in reading it.

As for the perspectives argument, if you move the goalposts close enough anyone can score. An individual may decide that criteria is important to them, but they shouldn't ignore the rest of the work and make judgement on that criteria alone.

Group Leader
This is one of my favorite manga of all time. Back when the scanlations were ongoing, I would celebrate every time a couple new chapters went up.
Almost everything about it is messed up and upsetting, but that's what I think the drama genre is about - you have to enjoy getting mad at a story, then getting sad about something else, then feeling uplifted by the next thing... This manga is full of that, and I loved it.

Users who are viewing this thread