Historie - Ch. 107.5 - Notice of prolonged hiatus

Dex-chan lover
Wait, so to just get this clear, since this is june 2024 dated that mean this goes at the end of all the currently untranslated chapters right? This is a new notification and not a freshly translated old one.

in any case. It’s a sad but necessary thing, I wish him the best of health and recovery as he tries to compensat for his age.

Though in my opinion, after mangaka reach such a point where writing and drawing is more debilitating they should probably hand off the physical work to assistants and take on a more director role. Having it done through proxy so the story can continue but does put undue strain on the mangaka

Dex-chan lover
shouldn't this be 124.5??
Wait, so to just get this clear, since this is june 2024 dated that mean this goes at the end of all the currently untranslated chapters right? This is a new notification and not a freshly translated old one.

in any case. It’s a sad but necessary thing, I wish him the best of health and recovery as he tries to compensat for his age.

Though in my opinion, after mangaka reach such a point where writing and drawing is more debilitating they should probably hand off the physical work to assistants and take on a more director role. Having it done through proxy so the story can continue but does put undue strain on the mangaka
agreed, author really explained how he isn't in a state to keep writting but still wants to work, the best choice would be to get help (a looot)

Dex-chan lover
Feels bad man. I hope he can do his best to not aggravate his condition further.I somewhat enjoy reading the earlier sketching/draft chapters too. Its like an artbook but there is an actual story rather than just random art.

Dex-chan lover
I don‘t get why so many mangaka seem to be so averse to let someone else do the artwork. Togashi and Oda too. Is it a pride thing?
Imo the manga industry should encourage much more duos. Better work-life-balance for the author and artist and (on average) better manga quality for us readers. Win-win.

This hit right in the feels. Historie is, imo, one of the greatest historic manga, if not the Great (see what I did here?). Iwaki Hitoshi deserves congratulations for all his work, and rest. He maybe should think of working in a collab like he did on Reiri with Muroi Daisuke who has a style close to him. This way he can keep progressing the storyline while protecting his health.

Dex-chan lover
Oh man that's not one, not two, but 3 severe health problems, I am just glad that he managed to go into hiatus before things got worse, he really should focus on recovery, the manga will probably take a good decade to re initiate, but I want to believe it can be done

I don‘t get why so many mangaka seem to be so averse to let someone else do the artwork. Togashi and Oda too. Is it a pride thing?
Imo the manga industry should encourage much more duos. Better work-life-balance for the author and artist and (on average) better manga quality for us readers. Win-win.
It is part industry standard, part culture, and part pride thing

Naoki Urasawa (author of Monster, 20th century Boys, etc.) has a series of documentaries called Manben, in which he interviews and follows different mangaka as they do their work for a day

Two episodes of note were the one with Takao Saito (RIP) the author of Golgo 13, who despite being on his 80s and with plenty of body aches refused to hand work to any assistants, to the point that Urasawa himself was impressed by his tenacity

The other episode was on Chiba Tetsuya the author of Ashita no Joe (yes believe it or not he is still alive and drawing), who also bears the full burden of the process, only handing the finishing details to his assistants, one of them being his own wife

Chiba is a special case because he has been making manga recounting his life and process and revealing the secret of how he managed to outlive everyone (his secret is to take things easy and slow, with breaks and exercise, which is also working for Go Nagai), and will probably reach 100 and keep working, however one thing doesn't changes, despite his more laid back attitude and relaxing work flow, at the end of the day, he still has to be the one that writes and draws the whole thing, having help being a last resource

It is a common aspect in the field, because mangaka (or gekiga in the case of the late Takao Saito) see themselves as craftsmen whose craft can only by done by their own hands, this is also why it was so hard for them to switch to digital tools, anything that seems like it could replace the authorship factor, being new technology or more people, is seen with aversion

The concept of a mangaka as an author is tied directly to the ability to put ideas into paper, it is not enough to have good imagination, being in a directorial or producer like position is pretty rare, the mangaka has to both write and draw the final product, despite the fact that just making the script, writing the plot, and coming with the setting and characters is already a monumental process

This problem also extends to core things like the quality of available media, not everyone who is good at drawing is good at writing, but since a mangaka has to do both we end with a saturation of works that look nice but are either boring, generic, or just plain shoddy, and while just pairing the artist with a good writer could fix things this is rarely encouraged, because manga also has a reputation still to this very day of being a type of media meant to be easily consumed, to be read while you are on a train commuting from work, or at lunchtime, etc

Thus there's more of an emphasis on the ability of being able to draw, than the ability of being able to write, and being able to direct is an afterthought really, which leads to the problem we now have

Boy how would I love to get a new manga by Umezu Kazuo, but he is so old now that he probably would end up hospitalized if he started drawing again, in fact I believe there was some news about him coming out of retirement back in 2021, but I haven't heard anything else ever since, this could have been easily solved if he had someone else drawing it, but that's just not how they roll

Dex-chan lover
just goes to show how overworked mangaka get
he's only 60, but already with severe health issues

Dex-chan lover
  • retinal hemorrhage
  • focal paralysis
  • psychomotor deficit
  • paresis
jesus fucking christ. being a mangaka gets you more injuries than a goddamn WWI veteran.

and I was going to say that it seems he's aware he might kick the bucket from overworking... but it seems he's actually apologizing because he'll be too busy fixing the previous chapters to keep making new ones?

what the actual shit?
I may be wrong, in fact I hope I'm wrong, because that is straight up retarded.

I mean, when Miura got his aorta blown open like a goddamn pinata, you'd think that would've set an example of some sort.

Oh man that's not one, not two, but 3 severe health problems, I am just glad that he managed to go into hiatus before things got worse, he really should focus on recovery, the manga will probably take a good decade to re initiate, but I want to believe it can be done

It is part industry standard, part culture, and part pride thing

Naoki Urasawa (author of Monster, 20th century Boys, etc.) has a series of documentaries called Manben, in which he interviews and follows different mangaka as they do their work for a day

Two episodes of note were the one with Takao Saito (RIP) the author of Golgo 13, who despite being on his 80s and with plenty of body aches refused to hand work to any assistants, to the point that Urasawa himself was impressed by his tenacity

The other episode was on Chiba Tetsuya the author of Ashita no Joe (yes believe it or not he is still alive and drawing), who also bears the full burden of the process, only handing the finishing details to his assistants, one of them being his own wife

Chiba is a special case because he has been making manga recounting his life and process and revealing the secret of how he managed to outlive everyone (his secret is to take things easy and slow, with breaks and exercise, which is also working for Go Nagai), and will probably reach 100 and keep working, however one thing doesn't changes, despite his more laid back attitude and relaxing work flow, at the end of the day, he still has to be the one that writes and draws the whole thing, having help being a last resource

It is a common aspect in the field, because mangaka (or gekiga in the case of the late Takao Saito) see themselves as craftsmen whose craft can only by done by their own hands, this is also why it was so hard for them to switch to digital tools, anything that seems like it could replace the authorship factor, being new technology or more people, is seen with aversion

The concept of a mangaka as an author is tied directly to the ability to put ideas into paper, it is not enough to have good imagination, being in a directorial or producer like position is pretty rare, the mangaka has to both write and draw the final product, despite the fact that just making the script, writing the plot, and coming with the setting and characters is already a monumental process

This problem also extends to core things like the quality of available media, not everyone who is good at drawing is good at writing, but since a mangaka has to do both we end with a saturation of works that look nice but are either boring, generic, or just plain shoddy, and while just pairing the artist with a good writer could fix things this is rarely encouraged, because manga also has a reputation still to this very day of being a type of media meant to be easily consumed, to be read while you are on a train commuting from work, or at lunchtime, etc

Thus there's more of an emphasis on the ability of being able to draw, than the ability of being able to write, and being able to direct is an afterthought really, which leads to the problem we now have

Boy how would I love to get a new manga by Umezu Kazuo, but he is so old now that he probably would end up hospitalized if he started drawing again, in fact I believe there was some news about him coming out of retirement back in 2021, but I haven't heard anything else ever since, this could have been easily solved if he had someone else drawing it, but that's just not how they roll
Thanks for recommending this. I managed to dig up a youtube channel that uploaded the entirety of S1, S2, S3, S4, and most of S5

https://www.youtube.com/@opera6969/videos

It's a TV Documentary airing on NHK Educational TV, so it's really hard for international audience to have any access to the videos let alone with english subtitles.

Group Leader
shouldn't this be 124.5??
Technically, yes. But since there most likely won't be any magazine chapters for the foreseeable future, I didn't want new readers to get a "there's a gap in chapters" screen when finishing the last chapter of volume 12 and clicking to the next chapter.

Users who are viewing this thread