Hitman - Vol. 8 Ch. 68 - Kasuga-sensei’s Claim

Dex-chan lover
While both have good arguments, there’s a lot of rawness in author’s works that they can’t see easily, especially when they just started to go pro. I’ll get a lot of flak here but I can’t stand web comics and strip comics, because many of them are published by authors themselves through webcomics sites without much supervision. It’s not that all of them are bad, it’s just that most of them are clumsy and there’s a serious lack of discipline in the writing and art. It’s annoying because to me, just by having an editor, I believe their work will improve dramatically. Editors can be viewed as part of the audience, to give concise feedbacks that draws from being well read and familiar with the ins and outs so the author can concentrate on what they like to do. I also agree that editors don’t matter that much, especially to authors who are experienced and well-established. At that point, I feel like authors are just middle man between authors and publishers. For his case in this scenario, I think he’s right to be free from his author’s influence.

@duylinh Not sure about that, on webtoons.con there are many seriously solid works. And there are not even that many in total, so the % quality is very high, compared to what I see coming from Japan lately, which is mostly isekai and reincarnation junk. Sorry for being harsh, but the japanese stuff hit rate is much lower for me than it was in the past.
All in all, Kasuga-sensei's claim may be justified at least in the sense that editors always seem to be eager to put in only what sells at the time, and not make something truly unique.

@duylinh You have a point that veterans and proven authors should have more latitude and leeway but I also think that can be a very dangerous trap. Because there's a real danger of them getting stuck in one mindset. The danger of having an echo chamber is that you feed into your own arrogance sometimes and miss out on somethings, experience doesn't make you omnipotent or mistake free after all. Take the new cooking manga sensei is trying to push through since that's being used as a direct contrast to this guy, it's something she has no experience but is an established author in and something she really wanted to do and you would think she'd be just as all "I got this". But she also recognized her deficiency and has only really pushed through into this new territory because her editor gave her the support and courage and is acting as her sounding board as they muddle through it together despite the bumps and bruises. To me this guy just feels like he's relying on the same things he's always done so far, and now he's falling into the trap with his recent rank drop. I'm not saying don't give him leeway but to not even let others give you an opinion after looking it over just feels like pure hubris now. As an author or in anything in life you should be constantly looking to get better, not simply rest on the laurels of your past achievements, and the problem with going it alone is that when you fail there's no one to help catch you as you fall. You should definitely trust your authors but you also have to be ready to be their safety nets at some point as well I feel.

That author is like the jerk of Bakuman who use a lot of scum of Internet lol

Dex-chan lover
@Rukthor
Naw I like him.
I especially liked how he told off the scummy editor in chief.

And if you read Bakuman, you would know that there are talented authors who suffer because of shitty editors (Muira)

Well, i don't know about that Samurai 8 proven that great mangaka like Kishimoto need editor as well in the end.

@Leonhart93 def true, naver’s output is really something these days. if translators picked up more korean webtoons off of naver instead of LN adaptations, it’d be such a boon

Users who are viewing this thread