Holyland

Dex-chan lover
Every few years I come back to this story. Every time it is this oddly satisfying read of content and melancholy.

Had a blast reading it. Really intense fighting manga. Even though it is somewhat repetitive, especially when it comes to the main character, it still is really good overall.
It is not the perfect work, but if anyone is looking for a good bloody fighting manga, give this one a try.

If I have tbh, I only read it by mistake, I fully intended to give "Suicide Island" a try but mistook it for this one. Same author and all. Really happy for this mistake haha had a blast with this one and from the looks of it, this was made before "Suicide Island", so I am excited to give it a try.

Dex-chan lover
The author's own experiences add a lot to this. Always nice when writers know what they're talking about.

Amazing manga, hats off to the Author. Makes my heart pump faster just thinking about it. The ending is amazing and opens up so many posibilities.

the Bug eye looking cover is quite discouraging me to read it at first but it turns out to be pretty good. I like the technical part of this but man the MC's arc can be boring and repetitive at times.

im glad i read this, i hope i forget it all and reread every single day, great characters, ehhh ending but overall the best revenge style manga I've read 10 out of 10 would read again

Honestly I loved this. The story is so gripping and the amount of detail in the fights was nothing short of Amazing. Amazing series honestly.

overall its very good manga definitely on my top 10, it was repetitive but I didn't mind it everything was alright and its an happy and open ending where yuu survives and continues his relation ship with shin, the only thing I wished they elaborated on was yuus family, we only saw them in the beginning when he was talking about blank faces, because yuu got beat up badly a lot and his family weren't even there to help him, and what about when he was in hospital his mom and dad didn't even visit him?!!!

Why I dropped it a chapter 110:

The characters and the story are great, but the development of the main character is one of the shittiest I've ever seen.
The MC has what I call a "fake development". He does some shit and tries to go all edgy one time but he realizes how stupid he was being and etc. This is all fine and dandy but he does that like three times in a roll! He goes through the same problems, which are solved with the same solutions again and again.
I think the author didn't want to end the series but he also couldn't think of any other situations.
So you never heard of an "Identity Crisis"? Yuu Perception of himself is extremely fucked. Yuu has a low self-esteem, to such a point to where he got to a point where we believes he doesn't have a role in his family, school, house, etc; He explores and uses the streets as a medium for his depression and anxiety and tries to find his role in the world. And also your example of "He does some shit and tries to go all edgy one time and realizes how stupid he was being and 'etc"', is just a shitty excuse and bad termonology for "cliche", every anime has a cliche dumbass, stop acting like Holyland is the only one with said cliche.

So wait he didn't die? Why is he still there then???

Code:
Mod Note: Please use spoiler tags when talking about chapter-specific or future events.
No he didn't die, you can see in the chapter when he got stabbed on the last panel you can see blood marks going out towards the streets, he survived and went back to the streets because its what he believes is where he belongs.

Was a good ride, but the end is just cheap, too bad.
What part of it was "cheap" per say? It was good ending we gotta see yuu's friends and antagonists graduate from the streets, his charisma and inspiration bettered the people around him. And if you gotta prob with yuu surviving the stab, you should know that it would be easy to survive that if you were aware and careful, the author has been extremely realistic with all of his fights so why would he stop being realistic now?

Users who are viewing this thread