Honzuki no Gekokujou ~Shisho ni Naru Tame ni wa Shudan wo Erandeiraremasen~ Dai 3-bu 「Ryouchi ni Hon o Hirogeyou!」 - Vol. 6 Ch. 33 - Swapping Lives -…

Why would it benefit him then?

And is Rozemyne in the process of memorizing them, or did she already memorize them?
I read The novel, It helps because Magic comes from the pray for gods, you need to know the names of the gods, they history and what they do to be able to write Magic circles, and Magic spells are small versions of the blessings given in Temple, so even If he is not a Priest It Will be useful in royal academy.

And Rozemyne is in process, she already knows some, but still has a Lot more to learn since she is the high Bishop.

Group Leader

And is Rozemyne in the process of memorizing them, or did she already memorize them?
good catch!!! i didn't paste the part where the prayers are good for magic. i've fixed it! thankies <3

also it isn't clear in the japanese or in the light novel whether she's in the process or has already done it, so i tried to keep it vague to avoid any possible continuity conflicts :3

Double-page supporter
I get that he's a spoiled kid and whatnot, but it also feels important that he's a kid
No shit, all of us would turn out like that if we were the first son of a noble, who himself was incredibly sheltered, and could worm our way out of anything. While I enjoy seeing the brat that called Myne lazy and selfish getting put in his place, I feel like the mom and dad really need to get shat on a lot more.

Myne is also an adult woman in the body of a child, which is something never touched on in these isekai stories and I think is important from a reader's perspective (that other characters aren't aware of, and don't seem to question her abilities).
I bet I'd be praised if my mind and all my memories were dumped into a 5 year old's body and I colored inside the lines, but at least Myne isn't trying to fuck children or adolescents like most isekai (looking at you Mushoku Tensei)
I sort of understand you but the nobility in their household were already far more accomplished than Wilfried at his age.

He may be being compared to Rozemyne right now, who is without a doubt the exception, but that's because he thinks she's the one getting it easy. He's completely blind to the efforts of everyone around him. The staff trying to get him to do the basic of basics for years now. Sylvester is definitely the primary party at fault though for his son's education.

Dex-chan lover

all annual prayers (the spring prayer, coming of age ceremony, dedication ritual and harvest festival, merriage ceremony) are equally as tough to memorize one is not above the other as they require practically the same ammount of words and names of the gods (though it is kind of imposible to memorize it in 1 day and remember it) there are more difficult prayers but those aren't the ones he is made to memorize (for example the prayer after a trombe accident). so while yes she is currently memorizing the harvest festival one (as she wasn't allowed to go last year) it wasn't the first one she memorized. as to why it would benefit him that's a very multilayered answer that goes waaay hard into spoiler teritories.

Dex-chan lover
I think Myne just wanna make Wil understand how hard she works. she's not fooling around like he thought and get all the (father) love for free. hence why she propose the swap for 1 day just to "teach him a lesson"

The problem is, No one expect Wil to be this spoiled and didn't even get minimum education for noble kid because he keep neglecting it. so the silly prank turned into public humilation. at least it's better than being a clown in his noble's debut tho.
1st you are not 100% right on your first question but very close

2nd while this wasn't meant to be a prank but a dose of reality it's still not public humiliation hell in this sence it was actually better for him to be there. the temple is far removed from noble society and noone can defy rozemyne when she takes her retainers back that means it wasn't Public humiliation as nobles trust the words of commoners absolutely 0 when it comes to info on other nobles (except when they were directly ordered to gather it)

Dex-chan lover
I mean, Myne really looks great till you remember shes a reincarnated person with 2X years of extra experience, the whole fucking nobility system of that world is shit.
i agree that no kid should compare themselves to rozemyne but that's not the point by the time that wilfred is already currently at kids his age already start prepping for their work in this world which was also the norm in our own world before mendated edjucation became a thing. nobles here have a mandated edjucation but it starts even before their baptism. in that way it's not much different from their commoner counterpart while their official worksmanship/edjucation starts at their baptism you are already trained before then (mostly in the same profession as your parents) to the degree that you can start your aprentiship

Dex-chan lover
I'm surprised with the answers that says "he's just a kid", "he lives in sheltered place" etc etc.
While Myne is exceptional, but the breaking point is how he's prone to use his status as a kid of an archduke. At this point, let's not talk about Myne's achievements. Obviously, it's impossible for a kid in her physical age if she's not "transmigrator".

But we can still talk about his bratty trait, "thanks to" his father the Archduke who let his late grandmother pamper him (and his wife couldn't have a say in this). At this point, any educational efforts will be useless because once he feels irritated, he will use "I'm the son of Archduke" card and thus, no education because the teachers fear of their lives. You say, "He's a kid, so of course he'll be bratty"? Yeah, call me boomer but that's exactly he should be disciplined. Being tantrum is one thing, using his status to threaten people which status below him when he throws tantrum is another one, and it's BEYOND THE LINE. And it'd be the common trope for evil antagonists used in a lot of stories (or IRL). "My parents donate the most for this school,". "My grandparents own the school,". "My Dad can fire your Dad" etc. He's in the age he can say/use this threat, so discipline is a must!
And where the discipline comes from? His family! And no thanks to his father that he becomes a brat as he is now.

In the other side, this kid is Archduke's son, so it means his should have more responsibility and ability for his status. Sucks for him; it's a huge responsibility, but he can't even do the basic/standard things for a nobel, not even READING or SIMPLE MATH. REALLY? That's a new low.
No excuse for this kid, but if you want to play the blame game, blame his father.
actualyl the edjucation of any children in this series is up to the meternal figure in their life. if anyone is to blame that's Veronica. Sylvester is also partially to blame for letting her do that but as he was reised by her he had no reason to believe she wasn't inadiquate due to being adjucated normally because he wasn't guarenteed to be the next archduke. so while yes sylvester is a bit to blame for it (i'd say 20%) 60% goes to his grandmother and 20% to his retainers. the retainers should have been honest in their reports on his edjucational progression

While Wilfried being this way isnt his fault. He needs some serious correction fast. Otherwise he will embarrass himself and the archduke family with his debute. His higher status comes with expectation and him being on the level of not even some commoners is not good(in so many ways).

Dex-chan lover
Well...
It is harsh but it is a reality check he needed.

People nowadays confund "love" with "spoiling". Loving a child includes punishment when the child misbehave, not because you want the child to suffer but because it is best for them in the long run.

Aggregator gang
The guildmaster's granddaughter is an excellent counterpart to Wilfried's level at that age. She's already into a position where she is well mannered, educated, and has the beginnings of a plan for her life. She intends to make a name for herself among the business elites via following her grandfather's ways, which won't necessarily go away when she marries a noble. She would, in fact, rule over the duchy better than Wilfried at this point.
It's not impossible, but it will take a serious self-reflection and massive amount of hard work for him to catch up to even her, let alone be prepared to take up any succession.

One small note:
At least in light novel Rozemyne is high bishop and Ferdinand is high priest. Current translation seems to imply Rozemyne is high priest.

Supporter
1st you are not 100% right on your first question but very close

2nd while this wasn't meant to be a prank but a dose of reality it's still not public humiliation hell in this sence it was actually better for him to be there. the temple is far removed from noble society and noone can defy rozemyne when she takes her retainers back that means it wasn't Public humiliation as nobles trust the words of commoners absolutely 0 when it comes to info on other nobles (except when they were directly ordered to gather it)
Yeah, english isn't my first langugue so I kind struggle to find the right word. I use "prank" since myne just wanna teach him how harsh her schedule is and giving him a bit of hard time/reality check on him.

And I saw some people use "bully" which I think it's too harsh because myne didn't meant any harm. She didn't plan to make him work at 100% of her work. She just let him doing supervision thing and see what she usually do but because he's far uneducated for noble kid at his age plus his hot tempered/spoiled attitude. It make him make a fool of himself for entire day.

So some reader think she put him to tough spot and make a clown of himself with malicious intent,I guess? Hence why people keep debating about how "Myne has adult mind, Wil is just a child, why being so harsh on him"

Double-page supporter
He is sheltered even for common noble standards, as mentioned, nobility of his age are expected to know how to read, learn parts of the scriptures to learn about magic, and study social culture to behave properly as nobility, Wilfried is experiencing such shame here among the grey priests because those are specially teached by Myne standards.

However, if Wilfried were to study with other nobles of his age, he would be shamed even more due to his poor lack of social abilities and noble etiquette, such as lack of harspiel training,lack of drawing techniques,lack of basic dancing knowledge, lack of knowledge on the state sanctioned religion and of course,the most important part, him not being able to read, due to his higher status, would be judged even more due to failing to meet the expectations of a proper Lord and live up to his family name.

Myne has done him a favor here, by showing him how far behind he is compared to grey priests plebeians, he himself will understand and manage to acknowledge that the nobility enviroment will be even more harsher, and how much worse it will be in the future when the ones criticizing him will be people of similar status instead of the ones who are below him.

Dex-chan lover
Yeah, english isn't my first langugue so I kind struggle to find the right word. I use "prank" since myne just wanna teach him how harsh her schedule is and giving him a bit of hard time/reality check on him.

And I saw some people use "bully" which I think it's too harsh because myne didn't meant any harm. She didn't plan to make him work at 100% of her work. She just let him doing supervision thing and see what she usually do but because he's far uneducated for noble kid at his age plus his hot tempered/spoiled attitude. It make him make a fool of himself for entire day.

So some reader think she put him to tough spot and make a clown of himself with malicious intent,I guess? Hence why people keep debating about how "Myne has adult mind, Wil is just a child, why being so harsh on him"
just a short explenation as this was covered in the LN but not in the manga Rozemyne had absolutely 0 confidence that wilfred could do her job (even before realizing how far behind he was) but she needed a break and wanted wilfred to stop nagging her. that's also why it was only for 1 day. she didn't want things to get backed up again. Also i don't agree with ppl arguing all nobles are meant to be able to do basic calculations and writing at around their baptism (as shown by Fridas edjucation who was meant to come into a laynoble family)

Dex-chan lover
Also not for nothing but his actions and moods will dictate the lives of thousands of people in their territory should he inherit
This is legitimate cause for concern even at this age
He's still a kid. He's still at the age of learning how the world works and everything. I appreciate the other people saying that his father was the one that failed him, ultimately, but to just threaten to kick him out like that? I get that he's going to have some major responsibilities in the future but holy shit that's and extreme to jump too. He's not even a full teen yet?
But, once again, the extreme nature of everyone's reactions IS THE POINT. The system they have set up to run their society is very cruel, the circumstances they all live in is also very cruel. It's a societal class system and it's always going to de-humanize more than try to bring people up. That's why our protag is soooo unusual in this world because SHE DOES want to bring people up with her.

Supporter
He's still a kid. He's still at the age of learning how the world works and everything. I appreciate the other people saying that his father was the one that failed him, ultimately, but to just threaten to kick him out like that? I get that he's going to have some major responsibilities in the future but holy shit that's and extreme to jump too. He's not even a full teen yet?
But, once again, the extreme nature of everyone's reactions IS THE POINT. The system they have set up to run their society is very cruel, the circumstances they all live in is also very cruel. It's a societal class system and it's always going to de-humanize more than try to bring people up. That's why our protag is soooo unusual in this world because SHE DOES want to bring people up with her.
I mean I agree that this is cruel for our sensibilities but this is teaching him how that world (the only one he’ll ever know, truck kun allowing) works by its own logic. I agree that by our worlds/ societies standards it’s cruel but I think it’d be crueler to disown and strip him of his inheritance and let him die penniless in the streets. Which is what will happen, I mean maybe his parents will spirit him away to a temple to save him but given that Ferdinand is a higher up… I don’t see him letting him seek refuge there.

His attendants have failed that child and screwed up his world view so bad that nothing short of a seismic shift in how his world works will be a better choice in what time they have to correct it. Hence why “a bastard” magically beat his “the legitimate heir of the archduke”’s protector right in front of him and laid it out. Now he knows he must put forth effort. Fair? Not by my standards… but it might ultimately be a kindness that saves the boys life

Dex-chan lover
I mean I agree that this is cruel for our sensibilities but this is teaching him how that world (the only one he’ll ever know, truck kun allowing) works by its own logic. I agree that by our worlds/ societies standards it’s cruel but I think it’d be crueler to disown and strip him of his inheritance and let him die penniless in the streets. Which is what will happen, I mean maybe his parents will spirit him away to a temple to save him but given that Ferdinand is a higher up… I don’t see him letting him seek refuge there.

His attendants have failed that child and screwed up his world view so bad that nothing short of a seismic shift in how his world works will be a better choice in what time they have to correct it. Hence why “a bastard” magically beat his “the legitimate heir of the archduke”’s protector right in front of him and laid it out. Now he knows he must put forth effort. Fair? Not by my standards… but it might ultimately be a kindness that saves the boys life
I don't feel this is a thing of "our sensibilities vs this world's". I think the story is trying to make things as plainly as it can that the adults in positions of power are just cruel to everyone beneath them. You see that constant struggle of the religious order trying to keep power to themselves and no one else and using a lot of shady means that the poor and less educated. Heck, how heartbroken is Myne constantly shown to be now that she's pretty much been blackmailed to be adopted into a noble family, away from the people that actually really care about her? The nobility have been shown that, sure, they have a lot of responsibilities but they have a lot of means to control society in a way that games the systems in place to their liking so THEY win out more often than not. So I disagree that there is a conflict between what I think is right or wrong and what this world thinks is right or wrong: the story itself is saying this is just flat out cruel and kids shouldn't go through this stuff but they are. There's also the matter that the kid was raised wrong and that's on the parents at the end of the day and they won't really face the same consequences as he will because they have the power and even as an heir, this kid is beneath them.

But Myne sees things differently and she's setting up to give this kid a shot and changing things around because, if she weren't there, he'd be gone already. That's kinda the thing with isekai stories: the person who goes back can see an alternative path usually (unless it's an edgelord story, then everyone sucks and there's no hope but to be just as cruel and unrelenting). Myne does start off wanting selfish things that were denied to her (and she still wants those things) but she clearly believes in giving people a strong foundation to flourish.

So yeah, kid def needed a kick in the pants cause he's very spoiled and lazy but that's not really his fault, he's just a kid and his father is really the core issue here cause he lacked the insight to realize that people are different from him (just like Ferdinand to a very large extent). And I do agree that, in the long run for this story, this kid is probably going to come out a better person for all of this but holy geez there's a better way than this and this society suuuuuuucks. (but that's what makes this story compelling so it's not a knock against it, to be clear.)

Supporter
I don't feel this is a thing of "our sensibilities vs this world's". I think the story is trying to make things as plainly as it can that the adults in positions of power are just cruel to everyone beneath them. You see that constant struggle of the religious order trying to keep power to themselves and no one else and using a lot of shady means that the poor and less educated. Heck, how heartbroken is Myne constantly shown to be now that she's pretty much been blackmailed to be adopted into a noble family, away from the people that actually really care about her? The nobility have been shown that, sure, they have a lot of responsibilities but they have a lot of means to control society in a way that games the systems in place to their liking so THEY win out more often than not. So I disagree that there is a conflict between what I think is right or wrong and what this world thinks is right or wrong: the story itself is saying this is just flat out cruel and kids shouldn't go through this stuff but they are. There's also the matter that the kid was raised wrong and that's on the parents at the end of the day and they won't really face the same consequences as he will because they have the power and even as an heir, this kid is beneath them.

But Myne sees things differently and she's setting up to give this kid a shot and changing things around because, if she weren't there, he'd be gone already. That's kinda the thing with isekai stories: the person who goes back can see an alternative path usually (unless it's an edgelord story, then everyone sucks and there's no hope but to be just as cruel and unrelenting). Myne does start off wanting selfish things that were denied to her (and she still wants those things) but she clearly believes in giving people a strong foundation to flourish.

So yeah, kid def needed a kick in the pants cause he's very spoiled and lazy but that's not really his fault, he's just a kid and his father is really the core issue here cause he lacked the insight to realize that people are different from him (just like Ferdinand to a very large extent). And I do agree that, in the long run for this story, this kid is probably going to come out a better person for all of this but holy geez there's a better way than this and this society suuuuuuucks. (but that's what makes this story compelling so it's not a knock against it, to be clear.)
Oh, for sure you’re making some good points-
This has been a fun discussion!
I like that we as fans can have very different interpretations of the same reading.

Users who are viewing this thread