Honzuki no Gekokujou ~Shisho ni Naru Tame ni wa Shudan wo Erandeiraremasen~ Dai 3-bu 「Ryouchi ni Hon o Hirogeyou!」 - Vol. 6 Ch. 34 - Swapping Lives -…

Double-page supporter
At the level of education he was at being traumatized by the local scary person would be the least of his problem if he fails to reach the (barely) passing mark by winter debut.

Because at the debut, no amount of authority can cover his ass if he fucks it up.
Best case scenario he's disinherited, become a blue...oh wait that's directly under Ferdinand...
I am unsure if he would be able to be a blue robbed apprentice since he will definitely be disinherited. Since he would no longer be a noble and not have any money then he would most likeably have to be a gray robed apprentice. Myne only received the blue robes because she almost killed the High Priest, had a high amount of mana, and she had money she could contribute to the church.

If by some chance he isn't disinherited, then he would forever be seen as a fool and would definitely loss the ability to be the next lord archduke. Meaning that he would end up like Ferdinand (an outcast) a blue robe or a soldier if he graduates from the Noble Academy.

Dex-chan lover
I am unsure if he would be able to be a blue robbed apprentice since he will definitely be disinherited. Since he would no longer be a noble and not have any money then he would most likeably have to be a gray robed apprentice. Myne only received the blue robes because she almost killed the High Priest, had a high amount of mana, and she had money she could contribute to the church.

If by some chance he isn't disinherited, then he would forever be seen as a fool and would definitely loss the ability to be the next lord archduke. Meaning that he would end up like Ferdinand (an outcast) a blue robe or a soldier if he graduates from the Noble Academy.

Remember that nobles don't see blue priests as 'real nobles', Ferdinand commanding this much respect is mainly from those who know of his achievements + he had graduate from the academy first (and there are those who want Ferdinand to return to nobility, but obvious refrained voicing it out due to Veronica before)

Having enough mana to offer alone was what Ferdinand said qualified Myne to be a blue priestess, since she would have to do the work of one (offering mana, something greys don't do for obvious reason) so Wilfried would at least be able to serve as basically mana battery.

As for the academy...no, just no, if he fucks up his debut he would absolutely not getting to the academy, let alone even dream of graduating while being illiterate. The demand is both higher AND the repercussion for any failures would be harsher.

The blue priest option is just the 'best case', it is basically Sylvester still giving him a fairly simple job + some life support even after severing the official family ties because he's a softy.

Supporter
If an adult had said that to me when I was 8 years old, I would have been traumatized to the point of secluding myself for life. It's one thing to be honest with him (completely necessary) or punish his attendant (harsh, but a long time coming)... and another to openly threatening a small boy with "crushing" him.

Myne said that it was better if Wilfred ended up being terrified of Ferdinand than disgraced... but this is going to be a something that scars him for life and will make any future interaction with Ferdinand very difficult for him.
I think it's because his grudge against "grandmother" make him went that far too.

ferdinand get treated far worse and I'd say it'd not be surprised if he point his grudge to slyvester but he still being nice brother and even fully trust him when he said his kid will grow up to be good lord like previous chapter.

He's probably not gonna went that far but because Wil being biased against him(due to Veronica's influence) and mentioned "grandmother" is probably last straw for ferdinand to let his emotion loose(crushed the kid and his attendant)

So yeah, trauma and grude stay 'till the end of his life. I hope Myne being middleman(or girl) for both side in this arc conclusion.

Dex-chan lover
If an adult had said that to me when I was 8 years old, I would have been traumatized to the point of secluding myself for life. It's one thing to be honest with him (completely necessary) or punish his attendant (harsh, but a long time coming)... and another to openly threatening a small boy with "crushing" him.

Myne said that it was better if Wilfred ended up being terrified of Ferdinand than disgraced... but this is going to be a something that scars him for life and will make any future interaction with Ferdinand very difficult for him.
In our world, twitter may praise you for being illiterate at the age of 12 as long as your parents love you and tell the world you a good boy. But in theirs, there's no twitter.

Dex-chan lover
How can Wilfried not understand it ? Ferdinand is showing him that a "Lord's Authority" means nothing if one lacks political power or physical one, and it is as Ferdinand tried to imply here.

If he grows up to be spoiled and incompetent, the people who are in dire need of an actual Lord will just "remove" him out of his Lord chair so the more capable lineage may succed the position, that means he can be poisoned or stabbed make it look like an accident at any time if he show any weakness, however instead of being murdered by the ones of an outside faction, he may be murdered by his own faction and key servants instead.

He is a child raised by sycophants. He really does not know better. It is in fact all Lamprecht's fault.

Dex-chan lover
The most important lessons are often the most harsh.
I don't know about that.
Many time people use harshness when other methods would have a better result. For instance a parent beating their kid if they do something they told them not to do, when explaining the reason they should not do it, without the need for beatings, while answering any questions they have would help them better understand the actions they have and their consequences, because otherwise they will do those actions when the parent is no longer around, because they don't understand what was wrong with doing it other than their parents told them not to.
So there are many more harsh lessons that are overly harsh and either not important or not effective due to learning something other than what is intended.

Dex-chan lover
His grandma i think, someone said in a previous chapter that his dad was a mommy's boy and let his mother in charge of the education instead of his wife which proceeded to fill him with stupid pride and barely any education, i think they sent her to the old folks home (some mansion in the countryside) to cut her influence on the kid it's why he's surprised since she pampered him and probably was the one threatening tutor/attendant when they tried to "force" him to study.
I’m the guy who wrote that Sylvester is mama’s boi in the previous chapter’s comment. Veronica was sentenced to a lifelong imprisonment in a place called the Ivory Tower, a special prison accessible only to the archduke’s family and an allowed few. IIRC she was also cuffed with mana drain tools to serve as a living mana battery there too. Nobles love unconsented free mana.

Dex-chan lover
To add, crushing only work on someone weaker than you, so crushing someone instead of using 'normal' magic (like the light band he used on Wil) is basically that much of exerting dominance move.
I'm pretty sure that's not true. Myne before entering the temple had less mana than Ferdinand, but she still crushed him to the point of him spitting blood.

What we were told is that crushing exerts mana pressure on those that you view as enemy. It's just that if you have more mana, that pressure less dangerous, and especially when you build up defenses against it. Or rather, crushing is inefficient, and normally if someone try to use crushing in battle - you just kill him with normal spell instead, while his guard down (using crushing). It's not because you can't crush someone who have more mana, it's because if you try to crush an opponent strong enough to not be immediately disabled by it, an opponent will kill you in that moment, even if he have less mana than you. Effectively, the best way to stop opponent's crushing is killing them, and Ferdinand didn't want to do that to Myne.

On the other hand, "light band" can be easily overcome by mana difference and it was told over and over through the book that those who have less mana than the target shouldn't even try.

So, in a sense, "light bands" shows difference in mana more clearly than crushing. Unless, ofcourse, it's a crushing that completely strips the target from any kind of battle potential, like ferdinand did here. So i agree with you that it was totally "exerting dominance", but felt that nuances are still important and need to be corrected.

Double-page supporter
ferdinand get treated far worse and I'd say it'd not be surprised if he point his grudge to slyvester but he still being nice brother and even fully trust him when he said his kid will grow up to be good lord like previous chapter.
It's because Sylverter has been a good brother to him. Being raised in a very hostile environment, it's natural that he came to trust his very few allies (Sylvester, Karstedt, Rihyarda). Also the reason he entered the temple was that Sylvester instructed him to avoid Veronica's increasing paranoia, with the intention of bringing him back to noble society later.

This is why Veronica is gone: When the Head Preist (Veronica's brother) was executed for treason (aiding a foreigner to infiltrate the city when it was closed off by the Lord and the attempted kidnapping and attack on the adopted daughter of the Lord Archduke (Myne)) all of his grey robed attendants and guards were executed. During medieval times it was common practice when someone was executed as the result of treason up to three generations (i.e. for the head priest this would include his parents, his siblings (we know Veronica is his sister), and their children) would have been executed. Lord Sylvester, his wife, and his children would have been spared because he is the lord of the city who was being betrayed.
While it is true that family members often share in punishments in this world, that is not why Veronica was imprisoned. She directly participated in the plot by forging the letters with the Archduke's seal that allowed Bindewald (the foreign noble) to enter the city.

Since I mentioned the noble, his guards, and attendants who infiltrated the city, attacked, and tried to kidnap Myne with the aid of the High Priest would most they would definitely have been executed and it reported to the lord of his domain why they had been executed. The execution of this noble had the potential to start a war if what was reported to the lord of his territory did not believe Lord Sylvester. This noble would have most probably been executed by his own lord if he were released in the custody of his home territory, due to trying to incite a war (i.e. attacking the daughter of another lord's territory).
I'm not sure what you intended with this incompletely edited bit, but Bindewald was also imprisoned instead of being executed. If Bindewald dies every commoner under a Devouring contract with him would also die. That includes Dirk—the fact he lives shows that Bindewald does as well. [Edit: This bit is wrong.]

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
I'm not sure what you intended with this incompletely edited bit, but Bindewald was also imprisoned instead of being executed. If Bindewald dies every commoner under a Devouring contract with him would also die. That includes Dirk—the fact he lives shows that Bindewald does as well.
Bindewald was indeed imprisoned instead of being executed, but it was never stated that devouring contract links your life with master - it's not a "name dedication".

Although it probably can be arranged with contract magic, it will have several issues. Name dedication link people by enveloping it with mana, but contracts works due to foundation. There is no way in hell that they would make an "extremely expensive" (from the words of Ferdinand, and to the point that Karsted lost his breath at how much he would need to spend on his family of 5) country-wide contract for the sake of the cannon-fodder. They don't even get a proper equipment for their devouring soldiers, barely working cheapest rings. And contract of the duchy is mostly useless, because devouring soldiers mostly used outside of the duchy. Rings can have "self-destruction" function with a contract (how it was with oldman smuggling away kidnapped gray priest), but Kamil doesn't have any magic tool on him. He is safe.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
Derp, I forgot 'really' in there so the meaning is quite different.

From 'only really work' (practicality) to 'only work' (absolute)
Won't really say it that way either. As i mentioned before, Myne that had less mana than ferdinand still heavily wounded him. Did Ferdinand have a method to escape that harm? Yes, but that would require him to harm Myne, which he decided not to do.

Crushing is basically a tantrum. Is it easy to kill a person throwing a tantrum? Yes. But if you would rather not to be up to such grave methods and just want to stop a tantrum - you are in a world of pain, even if you are stronger. If crazy person starting to throw things at you, you, sure as hell, should dodge, and not just "meh, since i'm stronger, that brick flying at me surely can't hurt that much... right?"

Dex-chan lover
Won't really say it that way either. As i mentioned before, Myne that had less mana than ferdinand still heavily wounded him. Did Ferdinand have a method to escape that harm? Yes, but that would require him to harm Myne, which he decided not to do.

Crushing is basically a tantrum. Is it easy to kill a person throwing a tantrum? Yes. But if you would rather not to be up to such grave methods and just want to stop a tantrum - you are in a world of pain, even if you are stronger. If crazy person starting to throw things at you, you, sure as hell, should dodge, and not just "meh, since i'm stronger, that brick flying at me surely can't hurt that much... right?"

He was only wearing his blue priest robe instead of knight armor + he intentionally blocked her sight which makes the force more focused on him.
And even with that the injury he suffered he was still able to talk to her to calm her down, compare to Lamphrecht that's flattened here.

Also, just want to point out this little thing from the wiki
By age 7, Myne had more mana than Sylvester (not age 7 Sylvester, current archduke Sylvester)
Because she could enter Ferdinand's hidden room that he set to only those with more mana than Sylvester could enter, after the latter once messed with his materials/magic tools.

So their mana difference isn't as big as you seem to think.

Double-page supporter
While it is true that family members often share in punishments in this world, that is not why Veronica was imprisoned. She directly participated in the plot by forging the letters with the Archduke's seal that allowed Bindewald (the foreign noble) to enter the city.

I'm not sure what you intended with this incompletely edited bit, but Bindewald was also imprisoned instead of being executed. If Bindewald dies every commoner under a Devouring contract with him would also die. That includes Dirk—the fact he lives shows that Bindewald does as well.
There was no forgery of any letters to get into the city but you when Sylvester was a way, he made it so that no-one could enter the city without his direct permission. Binderwald had the correct documents to enter the city prior to the policy change. So, when he tried to enter the East Gate, he was turned away. On the next day he tried to enter utilizing the South Gate and was allowed to enter the city, because the gate guards were not informed of the policy change by their captain (punished and lost job). Therefore, Veronica couldn't have been involved in any forgery of any letters. Thus, I will stand by my statement about the 3-generation rule for execution as a result of traitorous activities.

I am unsure of the exact details of how devouring contracts. The few things I do know is that: the servant is forced to serve a master and utilize his/her mana for the master; The contract will stay in effect until both parties decide to break the contract; There is a penalty for breaking the contract that could result in death; The contract can only be broken if one or the other die. Dirk has appeared in several chapters since the attempted kidnapping of Myne and in all the images he doesn't have a ring of servitude on. Based on the absence of a ring of servitude then either Binderwald has decided to break the contract, or he has been executed and it would shock me if Lord Sylvester would have cared about killing all of the commoners under a Devouring Contract held by Binderwald.

I will also mention that the only reason Lord Sylvester spared Mynes parents and her siblings was out of fear for what she would do if her mana went out of control when she found out her parents were executed. More specifically he was afraid she would destroy the city if he killed her family. It has been said many times throughout the manga that Nobles would kill a commoner for looking at them the wrong way.

Users who are viewing this thread