Honzuki no Gekokujou ~Shisho ni Naru Tame ni wa Shudan wo Erandeiraremasen~ Dai 3-bu 「Ryouchi ni Hon o Hirogeyou!」 - Vol. 6 Ch. 34 - Swapping Lives -…

Dex-chan lover
Therefore, Veronica couldn't have been involved in any forgery of any letters.
While Sylvester was away, Veronica used the archduke's seal to forge the document that allowed Count Bindewald in. The territory's border is drawn using foundation magic, so documents with fake seal amount to nothing because the city barrier will repel them. The former High Bishop obviously had no ability to do so, that's why he pleaded Veronica to help him. In this case, Veronica was the biggest offender for appropriating archduke's authority, she wasn't executed because Sylvester was still soft on family, and free mana bank is in demand everywhere.

I'm not too sure about the devouring contract either, but it's possible to be nullified by the third party. Ferdinand did it later to prevent Ahrensbach (where Bindewald from) using Dirk to exploit them. The Count was still kept alive by that time.

Dex-chan lover
He was only wearing his blue priest robe instead of knight armor + he intentionally blocked her sight which makes the force more focused on him.
And even with that the injury he suffered he was still able to talk to her to calm her down, compare to Lamphrecht that's flattened here.

Also, just want to point out this little thing from the wiki
By age 7, Myne had more mana than Sylvester (not age 7 Sylvester, current archduke Sylvester)
Because she could enter Ferdinand's hidden room that he set to only those with more mana than Sylvester could enter, after the latter once messed with his materials/magic tools.

So their mana difference isn't as big as you seem to think.
Ah, no no, as i said before - i agree that crushing the opponent was a power move showing superiority, and i remember Ferdinand saying that she had more mana than Sylvester. My only point was that even when Myne had less mana (i didn't say "significantly", i meant overall Ferdinand is still superior at this point), her rampaging crushing still able to induce significant harm on the owner of a stronger mana, so i don't want to leave it at "only really works on someone weaker" (adding a defensive tools like a feystone armor, or black feystones are beside the point).

As you compared it to the band of lights before as "more significant power move", it's the other way around. You can still put the opponent under the significant strain with crushing even if you somewhat weaker in mana quantity, but you definitely can't seal someone with band of lights if you have less mana. So "bands of light" actually a "better showing dominance", not the other way around. But in case of Ferdinand, any of the two will do... and i guess leaving the guard knight wheezing on a floor with a single glare (Wilfried didn't even knew what "crushing" is), instead of "bound with light" by spell would leave much more impression on a Wilfried, which probably why Ferdinand even decided to use such an "uncouth method" :D

Crushing is actually more volatile and dangerous than most would think, especially unrestrained one that goes with heightened emotions. The reason why nobles rarely use it isn't because "it's weak", but because it is the same as throwing a ball of mana at someone - as Rosemyne said about Lanzenavians, it's inefficient. And crushing even more so, since it doesn't even have a form, and large portion of it will be uselessly scattered in the air. The expenditure of mana just doesn't worth it.

Bindewald was indeed imprisoned instead of being executed, but it was never stated that devouring contract links your life with master - it's not a "name dedication".
I was misremembering the issue with Dirk and the submission contract (which is what I should have been calling the "devouring" contract). Bindewald being alive is the problem, since Dirk is still bound to him until he dies or Sylvester cancels the contract.

Ascendance of a Bookworm: Part 3 Volume 1: “An Illustration of Ferdinand” said:
“Delia, Dirk has the Devouring. His mana was the reason that the toad—ahem—that the count and the High Bishop targeted him. As the count is still alive, Dirk continues to be bound to him in servitude.”

The color drained from Delia’s face. Count Bindewald was being kept alive so that his crimes could be properly investigated, and so that negotiations could be made with his home duchy of Ahrensbach. Sylvester’s priority was making a politically beneficial deal, so it was hard to imagine that nullifying Dirk’s contract was something he would even consider. It was safe to assume that Dirk’s contract would remain in effect for as long as the count lived.

Rings can have "self-destruction" function with a contract (how it was with oldman smuggling away kidnapped gray priest), but Kamil doesn't have any magic tool on him. He is safe.
Dirk, not Kamil, but yes. I sort of remember him getting a ring in the anime, but there's no sign of that in the book. Either it's anime-only or I'm just misremembering again.

...Veronica couldn't have been involved in any forgery of any letters.
Seriously? This isn't some sort of thing that needs to be deduced. The book is clear cut about Veronica's actions and why she was punished:

Ascendance of a Bookworm: Part 2 Volume 4: “The Source of Strife” said:
Sylvester looked down at him with cold eyes. “I am Aub Ehrenfest, and I will not repeat the same mistake forever. As archduke, I will abandon my familial sympathy and have you punished in accordance with the law.”

“What?! Veronica will never accept this!”
“Uncle, you went too far this time. Mother can no longer protect you. She too will be charged with forging documents and assisting in criminal acts.”
...this time she had disobeyed the orders of the archduke and forged documents to allow an outsider into the city—a clear-cut crime, regardless of whether or not the archduke was her son.

Thus, I will stand by my statement about the 3-generation rule for execution as a result of traitorous activities.
Just because this was supposedly the standard in some medieval society doesn't mean that it applies to a fictional alternative world. I have never seen a single indication that Yurgenschmidt follows a rule as extensive as a 3-generation rule for this kind of capital crime. Immediate family and attendants seems to be typical.

Dex-chan lover
I was misremembering the issue with Dirk and the submission contract (which is what I should have been calling the "devouring" contract). Bindewald being alive is the problem, since Dirk is still bound to him until he dies or Sylvester cancels the contract.
Contract was canceled prior to Georgine's visit. It was left alone before because severing it will bring more troubles than it would solve, but with Georgine's visit that contract became dangerous, and Ferdinand made sure to take care of it. I don't remember in which volume it was, but Ferdinand said in no uncertain terms that "contract was cancelled". In the first place, Rosemyne giving "almost finished contract" to Delia to put Dirk's bloodstamp in case of emergency wouldn't make sense if previous contract is still active.

Edit: found it, chapter "Dirk's mana and submission contract"
Ferdinand: "I shall nullify his contract with the count and prepare a submission contract for you to sign. Have someone you can trust in the orphanage keep it ready for Dirk"
"Dirk's submission contract with the Count Bindewald has been nullified," I continued. "From this point onward, he will stay in the orphanage as a normal Devouring child."
"However... (explanation why emergency submission contract to Rosemyne is needed)"

Last edited:
@Med1um These are future events relative to this manga chapter. You should spoiler protect.
Contract was canceled prior to Georgine's visit. It was left alone before because severing it will bring more troubles than it would solve, but with Georgine's visit that contract became dangerous, and Ferdinand made sure to take care of it. I don't remember in which volume it was, but Ferdinand said in no uncertain terms that "contract was cancelled". In the first place, Rosemyne giving "almost finished contract" to Delia to put Dirk's bloodstamp in case of emergency wouldn't make sense if previous contract is still active.

Edit: found it, chapter "Dirk's mana and submission contract"

Dex-chan lover
Ferdinand: "I shall nullify his contract with the count and prepare a submission contract for you to sign. Have someone you can trust in the orphanage keep it ready for Dirk"

"However... (explanation why emergency submission contract to Rosemyne is needed)"
Since Dirk was a male and not a female Ferdinand informed Myne that it would be very difficult to find a noble to adopt him. However, Dirk could be adopted by Myne once she was adopted by Karstadt and became a noble.

The reason for an emergency submission contract with Rosemyne would be to stop any further attempts of him being kidnapped and forced into a submission contract by the kidnappers.

Dex-chan lover
Ascendance of a Bookworm: Part 2 Volume 4: “The Source of Strife” said:
Sylvester looked down at him with cold eyes. “I am Aub Ehrenfest, and I will not repeat the same mistake forever. As archduke, I will abandon my familial sympathy and have you punished in accordance with the law.”

“What?! Veronica will never accept this!”
“Uncle, you went too far this time. Mother can no longer protect you. She too will be charged with forging documents and assisting in criminal acts.”
...this time she had disobeyed the orders of the archduke and forged documents to allow an outsider into the city—a clear-cut crime, regardless of whether or not the archduke was her son.
So far the Manga on MangaDex is: Part 1 - Complete; Part 2 - Volume 10 - Chapter 49 Tour of the Orphanage and Workshop; Part 3 - Volume 7 - Chapter 36 Hass's Contract; Part 4 - Volume 2 - Chapter 4 and then several scattered after. I would say that since Part 2 and 3 are not compete Part 4 has not been started in earnest and I have not read any of the chapters for Part 4.

I have not read any Light Novels so far, but the future is not yet written.

The lines that you are quoting are from another source of material or from the Anime and should be marked as spoilers. However, based on the material I have available to me on MangaDex what I have said is correct. Although, if I take into consideration the Anime then I will have to agree with Veronica's charges, but I have noticed some inconsistencies between the Anime and the Manga.

Dex-chan lover
Since Dirk was a male and not a female Ferdinand informed Myne that it would be very difficult to find a noble to adopt him. However, Dirk could be adopted by Myne once she was adopted by Karstadt and became a noble.

The reason for an emergency submission contract with Rosemyne would be to stop any further attempts of him being kidnapped and forced into a submission contract by the kidnappers.
I know, i just quoted it directly from the novel to point out that contract was, without a shred of doubt, nullified. I'm not sure why you decided to elaborate on what everyone already knows.

Also, what you said isn't exactly true:
Emergency submission contract was not for a kidnappers, but in case of political pressure. And Myne wouldn't like to adopt Dirk herself, or let other nobles to do that either, since both cases would force him to leave the orphanage, and consequently Delia (his only family in myne's mind) behind. Also, at the point of this discussion, she is already Karsted's daughter, and even archduke's adopted daughter, so it's already not really a problem, but adoption is a very serious thing with tons of responsibilities and arrangement. That's also the reason why emergency contract prepared was "submission" one, instead of "adoption"

So far the Manga on MangaDex is: Part 1 - Complete; Part 2 - Volume 10 - Chapter 49 Tour of the Orphanage and Workshop; Part 3 - Volume 7 - Chapter 36 Hass's Contract; Part 4 - Volume 2 - Chapter 4 and then several scattered after. I would say that since Part 2 and 3 are not compete Part 4 has not been started in earnest and I have not read any of the chapters for Part 4.

The lines that you are quoting are from another source of material or from the Anime and should be marked as spoilers. However, based on the material I have available to me on MangaDex what I have said is correct. Although, if I take into consideration the Anime then I will have to agree with Veronica's charges, but I have noticed some inconsistencies between the Anime and the Manga.
Not at all, those are the quotes from way long before on the timeline. Right now, you are in discussion page of part 3, and if you didn't know anything from part 1 or part 2, you can only blame yourself from reading something that you shouldn't.

What are you even talking about? This entire part 3, literally every single frame of this manga, is a huge spoiler to the content of part 1 and part 2. So if you want to censor anything to be spoilerfree, you should start with banning entirety of the manga first, and not just it's comment section.

It's not a rocket science, really. If you wanted a spoilerfree experience - you weren't supposed to be here in the first place.

The lines that you are quoting are from another source of material or from the Anime and should be marked as spoilers.
The events in the later parts of the manga follow what happens in the earlier parts and spoil them thoroughly. It's up to you if you want to read these parts without reading the LNs or waiting for the previous parts of the manga editions to be completed, but don't expect anyone else to avoid discussing past events.

However, based on the material I have available to me on MangaDex what I have said is correct.
Except that what you said isn't correct, and not because you are missing information but because you are making unjustified assumptions about this fictional world. And you are stating these as facts rather then deductions even though you know that you have incomplete knowledge and after other people have repeatedly pointed out where you are wrong.

Dex-chan lover
Ah, no no, as i said before - i agree that crushing the opponent was a power move showing superiority, and i remember Ferdinand saying that she had more mana than Sylvester. My only point was that even when Myne had less mana (i didn't say "significantly", i meant overall Ferdinand is still superior at this point), her rampaging crushing still able to induce significant harm on the owner of a stronger mana, so i don't want to leave it at "only really works on someone weaker" (adding a defensive tools like a feystone armor, or black feystones are beside the point).

As you compared it to the band of lights before as "more significant power move", it's the other way around. You can still put the opponent under the significant strain with crushing even if you somewhat weaker in mana quantity, but you definitely can't seal someone with band of lights if you have less mana. So "bands of light" actually a "better showing dominance", not the other way around. But in case of Ferdinand, any of the two will do... and i guess leaving the guard knight wheezing on a floor with a single glare (Wilfried didn't even knew what "crushing" is), instead of "bound with light" by spell would leave much more impression on a Wilfried, which probably why Ferdinand even decided to use such an "uncouth method" :D

Crushing is actually more volatile and dangerous than most would think, especially unrestrained one that goes with heightened emotions. The reason why nobles rarely use it isn't because "it's weak", but because it is the same as throwing a ball of mana at someone - as Rosemyne said about Lanzenavians, it's inefficient. And crushing even more so, since it doesn't even have a form, and large portion of it will be uselessly scattered in the air. The expenditure of mana just doesn't worth it.
1st, there is a hell of a lot of spoilers there that should be marked as such.

Second, he wasn't expecting her to have as much mana as she did, and then seemed to allow it to continue as he tried to calm her down rather than defending against it and potentially making the situation worse. Crushing is literally taking your mana, surrounding your target, and physically crushing them with it. Someone with more mana only needs to push against the attacker's mana to nullify the attack. That's why we only see it used by the powerful to punish those beneath them (with the exception of Darth Myne at the end of part one).

Dex-chan lover
1st, there is a hell of a lot of spoilers there that should be marked as such.

Second, he wasn't expecting her to have as much mana as she did, and then seemed to allow it to continue as he tried to calm her down rather than defending against it and potentially making the situation worse. Crushing is literally taking your mana, surrounding your target, and physically crushing them with it. Someone with more mana only needs to push against the attacker's mana to nullify the attack. That's why we only see it used by the powerful to punish those beneath them (with the exception of Darth Myne at the end of part one).
Firstly, what spoilers? Myne's mana compared to Sylvester? That wasn't said by me, i just acknowledged that i might heard that somewhere along the novel and might be true. If you want to reprimand someone - please adress the other person. What else? Band of light dependance on mana of the wielder? Hardly constitutes as a spoiler, if anything - the most obvious logical conclusion, only missing a character straight up saying it, like stating the obvious. Mentioning lanzenavians? Ones who don't know wouldn't know what was spoiled anyway, that's not a spoiler.
So, where are those "hell of a lot of spoilers"? I'm not sarcastic, i'm actually asking seriously. As the one who read novel, i might miss something, but obviously - to mark something as spoiler, i need to know what spoiler are you talking about. Point at it properly, and then i will reevaluate whether it constitutes as spoiler or not.

Secondly, no. Crushing isn't just "resist and you will be okay". Unrestrained crushing under emotion makes your mana to swell, and sap every ounce of strength and mana to attack, most of a time leaving you fainted on a floor seconds later. It's all-out attack using everything you have, to block it by just pushing your mana against the pressure - you need to be significantly stronger, and i mean SIGNIFICANTLY with capital letters. Since you normally wouldn't use all your mana in the same way, and it's not amplified by emotions, and if they do - all you accomplish is fainting straight after the one who was crushing you.
In case of band of light, it's a matter whether you can tear them up or not, it's not about mana expendure. In case of crushing, pushing against crushing will make you expend around the same ammount of mana as the one who is crushing you, so even if you are slightly stronger, that slight difference in mana would be the only drop that you will be left with after the crushing. It can't be called "it doesn't really work on someone with less mana". In other words, if my body can handle 2 bricks thrown at me, i can't say that a single brick doesn't affect me.

Dex-chan lover
Firstly, what spoilers? Myne's mana compared to Sylvester? That wasn't said by me, i just acknowledged that i might heard that somewhere along the novel and might be true. If you want to reprimand someone - please adress the other person. What else? Band of light dependance on mana of the wielder? Hardly constitutes as a spoiler, if anything - the most obvious logical conclusion, only missing a character straight up saying it, like stating the obvious. Mentioning lanzenavians? Ones who don't know wouldn't know what was spoiled anyway, that's not a spoiler.
So, where are those "hell of a lot of spoilers"? I'm not sarcastic, i'm actually asking seriously. As the one who read novel, i might miss something, but obviously - to mark something as spoiler, i need to know what spoiler are you talking about. Point at it properly, and then i will reevaluate whether it constitutes as spoiler or not.

Secondly, no. Crushing isn't just "resist and you will be okay". Unrestrained crushing under emotion makes your mana to swell, and sap every ounce of strength and mana to attack, most of a time leaving you fainted on a floor seconds later. It's all-out attack using everything you have, to block it by just pushing your mana against the pressure - you need to be significantly stronger, and i mean SIGNIFICANTLY with capital letters. Since you normally wouldn't use all your mana in the same way, and it's not amplified by emotions, and if they do - all you accomplish is fainting straight after the one who was crushing you.
In case of band of light, it's a matter whether you can tear them up or not, it's not about mana expendure. In case of crushing, pushing against crushing will make you expend around the same ammount of mana as the one who is crushing you, so even if you are slightly stronger, that slight difference in mana would be the only drop that you will be left with after the crushing. It can't be called "it doesn't really work on someone with less mana". In other words, if my body can handle 2 bricks thrown at me, i can't say that a single brick doesn't affect me.
Your entire last paragraph.

Dex-chan lover
Your entire last paragraph.
Firstly, Wrong. Part 1 and part 2 presented all the relevant information.

Secondly, i said pretty different things there. I was asking about the problem you had with my previous comment, not with one that i didn't even write yet.

And lastly, even if it wasn't, it is still a part of worldbuilding known by the characters, including Rosemyne, and can't spoil literally anything, since it have no sway in the plot.

There was no forgery of any letters to get into the city but you when Sylvester was a way, he made it so that no-one could enter the city without his direct permission. Binderwald had the correct documents to enter the city prior to the policy change. So, when he tried to enter the East Gate, he was turned away. On the next day he tried to enter utilizing the South Gate and was allowed to enter the city, because the gate guards were not informed of the policy change by their captain (punished and lost job). Therefore, Veronica couldn't have been involved in any forgery of any letters. Thus, I will stand by my statement about the 3-generation rule for execution as a result of traitorous activities.

The "changed policies at the gate" were nothing but a secondary security measure to prevent Veronica's fraud, since the Aub was away at the Aub's conference and wouldn't have been able to provide any permission. The permit was fraudulently made by Veronica, and this fraud was actually anticipated by some or all 3 of the main political players here(The Aub, Knight Commander and Ferdinand). So basically it was a trap. And yeah, none of this is spoilers since you are supposed to read/watch Part 2 before reading this anyways

Anyway, this was a pretty good chapter. Personally speaking I prefer the first 2 manga adaptations by Suzuka-san, and I feel like they are the closest depictions to the Bookworm story after the LN's. But Part 3 is still nice, and some chapters like these really shine through. With more volumes the saccharine 'shoujou-ness' of this part's manga is alse being somewhat toned down I think, giving a more mature look that makes the series work. I still don't like the Volume covers though

Dex-chan lover
If an adult had said that to me when I was 8 years old, I would have been traumatized to the point of secluding myself for life. It's one thing to be honest with him (completely necessary) or punish his attendant (harsh, but a long time coming)... and another to openly threatening a small boy with "crushing" him.

Myne said that it was better if Wilfred ended up being terrified of Ferdinand than disgraced... but this is going to be a something that scars him for life and will make any future interaction with Ferdinand very difficult for him.

Better scared for life and terrified of Ferdinand than disowned and kicked out of nobility where his only option is be a slave to another noble, a Blue Priest, or dead.

Users who are viewing this thread