Horimiya - Vol. 13 Ch. 98 - The Hori Thing

Power Uploader
This made my day already. Also, i never get bored reading this commentary section.

This chapter made me realise that I actually don't mind the fact that they don't delve into the character's depth anymore when the chapters centre on Hori and Miyamura. It's ultimately their interactions and the quirky nature of their relationship that I've missed the most for like... The last two volumes.

Double-page supporter
And that was the last time Sota was seen alive
His body was found 3 days later in a garbage can

Contributor
Hahaha, I'm not trying to start anything or detract from the story at all. I love this manga, and I enjoy speculating. And, as @Purplelibraryguy says, until they saying anything about it in the manga, it's just a theory. But, what we're reading is "Horimiya", and like @ValKnight mentions, this is actually a re-draw of HERO's original story, "Hori-san to Miyamura-kun," which ran from 2008-2011 and has 10 volumes. The original story is complete and ends
with Souta coming home to talk about how HorixMiya was a popular couple at the high school they go to (and now he goes to) to which she brushes him off so can can take care of Kyouhei Miyamura, her son. Though it does not indicate she necessarily was pregnant in high school.
@Rinfolia I'm referring to Ch. 80 https://mangadex.org/chapter/15920/8 where they're in a domestic squabble. She sends him a text to make him upset telling him "My period isn't coming. Good job, stupid." She immediately follows up with she's obviously lying, but she does this "lying-turns-out-to-be-true" shenanigan thing throughout the manga (she's very hotheaded).
@Freezee This manga is based the web-comic, and it's surprisingly dark and very mature. In the web-comic,
Souta finds an un-opened condom wrapper and Miyamura admits they had sex without using protection because Kyouko wanted to and asked him not to wear one. That's just the start of the whole situation about sex revelations (and results).

I'll admit again, currently, Kyouko Hori being high-school teen-pregnant is only a theory! But I'm fairly positive it's happening. Hori has been built up the entire manga as not only being a fantastic housewife, caring, able, shopping at grocery sales, cooking, cleaning etc. and that Izumi Miyamura will be successfully taking over his family's bakery with little to no plans of college, we are already confirmed the two not only love each other but plan on marrying as soon as possible, and a family is what awaits them. There are allusions to Hori's own mother who had plans on her own before becoming teen-pregnant herself with Kyouko, so this running parallel is unsurprising, never mind the fact it's what Kyouko herself wants.

We'll see how this re-draw goes!

Dex-chan lover
@ColorfulSongbird Those are some pretty heavy spoilers of what happens in a web novel I didn't read. Honestly quite sad about how much you didn't spoiler there.

But since something was spoiled, might as well spoil everything now.

Even taking into consideration that ending there, they're 100% not going to dive into the actual pregnancy bit, especially if teen pregnancy... just like how it sounds like the WN would. Since teen pregnancy is a serious topic if you really delve deep into it. Besides, it's not like unprotected sex is guaranteed pregnancy. There's also abortions and whatnot. And as another person mentioned, their relationship is good enough that they can really discuss all this without it being full of drama.

At most, they're going to mention it at a level similar to what happened in Tomo-Chan, and that's on the unlikely chance it's a teen pregnancy. Carol in that series is heavily implied to have had a mid-late teen mother, and that itself was mostly detailed in a volume extra.

Even then, it's unlikely to be mentioned at all since Horimiya has a very large focus on making the characters believable, whereas Tomo-Chan is extremely exaggerated emotions with slow character development for the sake of comedy with sexual tension. Based on how old I assume Souta to be in current story, I'm going to assume that WN ending is about 10 years in the future; long past the point of teen pregnancy, and would have a child at oldest the same as what Souta is in current manga here. This would have them be around 20 or 21 at youngest.

Contributor
I mean, I don't know of any common theory about Carol's mother being teen pregnant (which I guess makes sense because of the age), but if you didn't know who the artist/author of Tomo-Chan is
he was a big hentai artist. And while he's not directly correlating his current, E-for-Everyone popular manga with his previous works, all 3 mothers are characters that were raped in their teens.

Anyway about Horimiya, I don't think that Hori and Miyamura necessarily hide anything from each other or suppress truth or serious things in their relationship, and we're given strong & canon proof they'll be together just fine within Horimiya. I wouldn't even necessarily be surprised she would have talked with Miyamura about any "surprises" already, but Kyoko is absolutely the type of girl to fit the tsundere archetype where she doesn't want to talk about what embarrasses her with people she's close with, and gets angry and outright violent when pressured otherwise.

I look forward to more chapters from this ugh, monthly, c'moooonnnnnn, series. Hopefully more centered around the title duo.
Edit: Also, I guess that second reference to the web-comic is a little strong, I should spoiler that, too.

Dex-chan lover
@ahudson Yes, I remember since all the chapters are good. This chapter is good. I don't want anything else happen in this manga. Comfy slice-of-life is the best. I want this manga to go on forever.

Dex-chan lover
@Meridis Teen pregnancy is no joke. It is not a good thing. Girls are not fully-developed at this age so giving birth can kill them. A pregnancy will kill her future and any dream both of them has. Once you have a child, you don't have any time to yourself anymore. With how expensive Japan is, they will have to abandon all the things they want to do to get a job. In Japan, you have to pay for your children's tuition fee from kindergarten to college along with food and healthcare. No assistance for low-income family so having a child is a serious thing that Japanese have to carefully plan.

Dex-chan lover
Nice plot karma in this chapter. In the first half, Souta precociously twists the knife in every interaction, but in the second half, Hori repays him mercilessly, lol. Good stuff!

i forgot, but why does Hori call her dad Kyosuke? That IS her dad right? Monthly manga is a weird concept to me cause I know it's probably easier on the authors, but for me, since I read a lot of manga, these monthly issues are kind of hard to keep up with.

@Deathhappens I guess if you have never looked at some of the past volume covers... or at the various coloured pages that were made before... then yeah, I guess you won't be the only one.

;)

Aggregator gang
I 100% thought she was blonde until I saw the colored panels. I still think she’s blonde when I read the chapters.

Users who are viewing this thread