Horimiya - Vol. 15 Ch. 114 - Treasuring You

Miya's bloody ear reminds me of a friend.
A suitcase fall out from her locker knocking her head on the locker door..well that's two critical hit already..yet the worst thing was when she realized her earing stud were burried halfway inside her earlobe from the impact. We had to pull the whole earing from behind her earlobe to get it out. It was a bit bloody mess tho 😅

This chapter left a bitter taste in my mouth and reminded me of that dreadful chapter where he cut his hair and stopped with the piercings just to cater to other people's opinions of what Hori's boyfriend should look like. He used to look much better in the early days (though I can live without the silly lip chain) and generally became a lot more boring afterwards.

Granted the piercings and tattoos probably came from a dark time in his life and getting rid of them is supposed to show him becoming happier but it still sends kind of a shitty message.

This couple is the reason I venture to Romance manga while I only read Shounen and Seinen at that time

That's a sad mentality here. I think that's pretty childish and abusive, and rather typical of a conservative Japanese mindset, where altering your body "your parents gave you!" in any way is seen as negative. Getting tats and piercing my ears are things I do for myself, for my own pleasure. I do it BECAUSE I treasure myself. No one, not even a partner, gets to tell me I'm not treasuring myself because I'm "making a hole" in my body. It's a stupid cultural bias and I've got no time for it.

Dex-chan lover
Hori’s got a conservative streak. Probably on account of having to act as Souta’s parental figure early on. I’d like to believe she’d be willing to relent and let Miyamura enjoy his own aesthetic.

Dex-chan lover
Y'know, the longer this series goes, the more my dislike for Hori grows. She was never the best person, but the more I see, the worse she gets.

Double-page supporter
I can see a lot of people here don't understand Hori at all. Miyamura didn't get piercing because he thinks it looks good or anything. Even he himself doesn't remember why he got it. It has something to do with his past and rebellious phase, wanting to get attention. No matter what you guys said, I think Miyamura is better without the earrings, plus it is against the school rule so if he wants to do it, wait until he graduated and goes to some professionals. His ears could get infected.
Also stop saying bad things about Asian cultures. We have our way of living, you have yours. I personally think if kids want to get a tattoo or piercing, wait until they are an adult. I think Western kids just have too much freedom, something I realized when I came to the US.

@JunkKing Hori's tantrums aren't supposed to be cute, but a character's flaw that she's fully aware. Hori is a good person, but she has a terrible personality. The only reason why her relationship with Miyamura even works is because Miyamura is a fucking angel. Any other guy would have dumped her ages ago.

Dex-chan lover
@NoraDaimio You are projecting yourself onto the character here. Not everyone gets piercings because they treasure himself. In fact, it’s clear that it was not Miyamura’s reasoning.

@miyako19 Finally someone here understands the meaning of this chap. This is really more of a cultural difference really and while Hori was violent in her approach, she meant well which Miyamura understood when he flashbacked to the time he was piercing his ears and realizing what she meant by her words and actions. Even Hori knows she gets over-the-top but that’s because she cares a lot about him and Miyamura accepts that side of her. Love between two people requires accepting both the good and bad sides of each other and understanding one another.

@Treswimming : only using a personal example, but I stand by my ground. Hori is totally not understanding. She vilifies his piercing without ever asking him what he feels like about them now. The story started as this cute couple who respect each other's "outside" identity, and it turned into a bit of victim/yandere dynamic, where Hori screams and beats up everyone and Miyamura doesn't dress or behave in any way different to during school. It's mostly cute, but I find this chapter sad. PIERCINGS AREN'T BAD. Even if you pierce your ears because you go through a rebel phase, doesn't mean you're disparaging yourself, or that you'd grow up hating it. This entire chapter is immature and slightly toxic and there's no point trying to change my mind on this.
Maybe, if she didn't have such a negative attitude, Miyamura would still wear earrings and enjoy it, despite not originally having a "good reason" for piercing his ears. Y'all seem to think one can't grow and change.

i just think hori should have asked him if he wanted to keep them rather than just telling him to stop completely:’) ofc piercings are a personal choice and tbh i love piercings and i take care of them well; & im around miyamura’s age? so not yet a complete adult. i did my piercings out of love for them but miyamura did them because he wanted to feel something like pain at that point in his life (maybe due to depression of sorts?) so maybe if miyamura doesnt like piercings in particular anymore then yes don’t pierce them but if he likes them; i don’t see how hori should tell him to stop 😣

Dex-chan lover
wow all these people supporting piercings

maybe permanently scarring your body because you think it looks neat or because you feel a certain way about something at the time isn't the smartest idea. Yeah, it's your body. It's still idiotic. If you can't actually find a way to express yourself without damaging your body, i kinda feel like that's on you

@Beastfang07
the actual situation. cultural differences. also hori is always violent

Users who are viewing this thread