How Long Until We Get Married? - Vol. 1 Ch. 9 - Retirement ver.

Fed-Kun's army
I'm now fully convinced author decided to just end this title in a hurry to be done with it.

BCS

Dex-chan lover
No netorare ver.?

Author clearly wanted to write a story rooted in a possible reality

Well then they fucking failed lmao

Double-page supporter
it's good that she have her own happy ending, but still, what the fuck with that twist bro

Dex-chan lover
I understand why so many are upset with the way the story went, and the word you're looking for is poignant.
This is closer to when Hollywood writers "subvert your expectations", but it's-- in a way-- worse than even that because the characters are hardly built up before the twist. On one hand, there's not enough time or content to get too invested in the characters so the twist isn't irritating on that front... but ironically, that just means that the only contribution is shock value because the narrative hops around too much with this quarter of a character to explore the aftermath.

It's shocking because it's a sad thing that happened all of a sudden, not because it happened to fully realized characters.

Bridge to Terabithia did this kind of twist better. It even set up for it better. That said, it's smarmy of me to extensively criticize a short Twitter webcomic-- it was never meant for a scale where something like the twist could extensively detract from it.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
This is closer to when Hollywood writers "subvert your expectations", but it's-- in a way-- worse than even that because the characters are hardly built up before the twist. On one hand, there's not enough time or content to get too invested in the characters so the twist isn't irritating on that front... but ironically, that just means that the only contribution is shock value because the narrative hops around too much with this quarter of a character to explore the aftermath.

It's shocking because it's a sad thing that happened all of a sudden, not because it happened to fully realized characters.

Bridge to Terabithia did this kind of twist better. It even set up for it better. That said, it's smarmy of me to extensively criticize a short Twitter webcomic-- it was never meant for a scale where something like the twist could extensively detract from it.
Agreed, the " development " largely relies on a readers ability to infer and extrapolate (in their own perception) from very limited data. But for a very short story versus a novel, it does pretty well. But I would find it unfair to call it purely "shock value", it's also not really long enough for that either. Lol I think alot of the subversion comes from the late addition of the tag, going into it knowing there was tragedy would drastically alter the perception and responses; this was much more of a " cold reading ".

Dex-chan lover
the entire reason the twist feels as thrown in is b/c this story's shown in snippets. we really just jumped all over the place w/ no real reason to other than a last ditch effort to make an excuse to draw smth sweet & wholesome have some sort of depth.

Aggregator gang
Everyone pissed about this is mad weird. It's just a short what, 20 page story essentially.

The fact is, life is like this. Death is an uncomfortable truth that we all have to face at some point, and one that we avoid the hardest we can.

Makes you think about the back stories of people that have died, and the after stories of their loved ones. It's good to feel a little more.

When the twist first came I thought it was lame, but the fact that he carried through with it, no take backs actually makes this way better than what it was originally.

Tldr: stay mad it's better this way

Fed-Kun's army
This is almost as heartbreaking as finding a new web comic and seeing you outta pocket is gonna be putting terrible end pages on it. Jeez.

Dex-chan lover
Lmao it got put up in the main page recommendations and I have to say, as someone who only read it after the tragedy tag for added, it’s very meh.

Dex-chan lover
Wow, so in the end they got married and had kids. No way in hell this is Japan.

Dex-chan lover
I cried. That was... good. Probably not the taste for the younger audiences but it's something I can appreciate.

Users who are viewing this thread