How to Fight - Ch. 19 - Fucking Lookism

Oh thank god he made the opponent pass out. Thought he was going to let him go

Also that product placement 😭🤣

Double-page supporter
wonder how Logan from Lookism would match up against this big bowlcut mf

Twitch chat is fucking great. Although they got to respect a streamer getting the bag instead of shitting on him lol

Group Leader
great chapter, only issue i have is that as soon as the fight ended yoo hobin's face went right back to normal.

Group Leader
Thank you for your efforts and translation !

Tbh taehoon kinda looks like yohan (from lookism) and has similar vibes to him.

Contributor
OK, kids, this time I am dead serious.

Never do this counting thing. Never try to make your opponent pass out.

You might end up killing the person for real.

There's no magic number. Every person is different. If you ignore you opponent asking you to stop such an extremely dangerous technique, you have a chance of murdering them.

As a martial artist, I am very irritated, offended even, that this work shows it like it's really about waiting for 10 seconds. Because this can lead to real life killings, albeit unintentional.

Actually, if you don't really know what you're doing, never even attempt to strangle someone if you're not ready to kill them.

Ah, and if you think that you can pass someone out, or that you can fine control the boundary: No, you can't. No one can. It's a Hollywood gimmick.

Power Uploader
@N0Mi0 Well, I see where you're coming from. Because the techniques are real, on the surface this webtoon looks realistic.

Still, I doubt anybody would take a leaf out of this webtoon, so relax. You just need to pay a little more attention to realise it is completely unrealistic. Anybody who tries to do any of what Hobin is doing is certified insane. A few examples:

- Hobin is shown kicking the sandbag always with the same, dominant leg. That would introduce a serious physical imbalance in his body.
- The how to not feel pain by being hit technique is the quickest way to a punch-drunk syndrome when he grows older.
- He'd have passed out for good if he'd taken those many kicks as in the previous chapter.

I'll also add that Taehoon was trying to land a lethal kick on Hobin during a street fight. What you've just said just applies to him, too. Would you, a trained martial artist, land a spinning back kick on a scrawny boy like Hobin?

I dunno. If we accept that street fights are truly about being the last man standing; if it's true that Taehoon waking up again would spell doom for the duo; and if it's true that Taehoon could have killed him a moment before… attempting to make him pass out doesn't sound too far-fetched. Even the chicken-head said: these are fighting, not sports techniques. The "martial" in martial arts is there for a reason.

And as you said: it's a Hollywood gimmick. Are you going to raise objections to Hollywood films, too?

Most people know where to draw the boundary between the real and the fantastic. This work is not labelled as a Sports series.

Contributor
@Kendama
Yeah, I agree with most things you said. I am criticizing the author for not pointing out the possible real life consequences of these actions (it being a shounen series actually puts more responsibility on them), not Hobin himself. As you said, even though it wasn't portrayed as such, it was a death fight, so anything passes.

My sensei always told us: "If you do end up in a fight, never try to go easy. The opponent won't. That's why, avoid fighting at all costs. That's a true martial artist's mindset." You ask me would I land a spinning back kick or something similar on Habin? Truth be told, I wish I would never be in a situation that would lead me to do it. Because, if worse comes to worse, I will. That's why after I started training years ago I never been in a street fight. And I to this day thank my sensei for teaching me this responsibility.

As an aside, you would be surprised by how good people are at gauging others' dangerousness. In most situations just standing for a fighting stance without raising hands would diffuse most situations. The most effective is a firm push followed by a calm side stance. People instinctively feel somehow that your pose is not a random one. But that's, of course, if you actually are trained. They can call fake just as easily.

I found God!
vHRSh12.png

Dex-chan lover
@Kendama I dont think anyone here is dumb enough to fight like someone in a webtoon, then again people drank cleaning products after the president of the USA said it would cure CV lmao, with that aside
Thanks for the solid translations :D

no one was talking about it in the comments but I'm glad at least the author is commenting that our MMA psycho is handsome as hell LOL

Users who are viewing this thread