Hyakumanjou Labyrinth - Vol. 2 Ch. 23

And thus, Aperture Science was born. And Reika was the true final boss all along.
Great ending for a great series.

Dex-chan lover
Thanks for the translation.
In a way, this is a bad end. Youko will never meet Reika again. The time they spent ends up as a delusion for everyone else except both of them.
Reika giving Youko the remote to show appreciation gave Youko closure.

Reika probably chose to remain because being an immortal in a unlimited space while her actual body is taken care of seems more appealing to her.

Sem

Dex-chan lover
Thank you for the translation!

Also ahhh, somehow I just can't really feel satisfied with this ending...I dunno, I wish there was more of a feeling of a reward. Staying in a sandbox, with only your own memories to use as template pieces...I dunno that just sounds so unfulfilling.
There's no communication, no new information flow for her from now on because she's shut herself in single player minecraft essentially

Dex-chan lover
👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼
Splendid!
Thank you for bringing this series!
See you on the another titles!

Kind of abrupt but glad it didnt being too strectched out, well done author.
Thank you for the translations

First off, much love to the translators - you've done a great job, & thanks for your hard work.
This manga started with some promise but was ultimately really disappointing. I thought the lowest point was going to be the completely unearned, hacky ~tragic backstory~ that isn't redeemed by the end through some twist or recontextualization (the only thing I was waiting for before deeming this true garbage). Then the mangaka changed Youko's character design to shoehorn in a swimsuit scene.
Overall, my biggest complaint is that Reika's character just isn't well-written. Surrounding your pet character with dumbfucks who are denied the agency, intellectual competence, and curiosity of an average adult doesn't make your pet character smart or a "true protagonist" - it makes you a YA novelist. Even with this massive advantage, the story feels compelled to TELL YOU "REIKA IS SMART" because she actually comes across as an idiot who should've died many times over.
If you like this story, you're a pleb. Read more.

Thank you for the translations!

I didn't enjoy this manga as much as I would have wanted to but stuck with it out of curiosity and because it was only 23 chapters short.
Thanks anyway for the translations as I get to read the end!

This is a dissapointing ending :pensive:

Especially since the beginning was amongst the best things I've ever read :(

Dex-chan lover
....mmmm... it was pretty good overall, although the ending felt rushed and less than satisfying. I think the early parts were the best, when everything was a mystery and still being figured out. There was a surrealism in the air.

But it lacked something. Further development, perhaps, of the plot and characters. I would say it's still an above average piece of work, easily.

Double-page supporter
In the end I don't see how this is so different from the options they were given.
If Reika had have sacrifced herself, her mind would've probably stayed in fake world (since that's why the aliens argued the humans stay alive), only that her body would've been (mainly?)dead.
Now she's staying in the fake world and her body is alive, but she's only leaving it to give Youko the controller anyway.
She already had fun in the fake world without being in conrtol, so that's more of a QoL improvement.

Eventually she mainly stays in that world, no matter the choice, Youko left her behind and will probably never see her again and the world is safe for now.
It makes the "third choice" kinda hollow, since the endings aren't really different.

To sum it up, the last chapters were kinda dissapointing.

Seems like quite a short-term solution. When Reika eventually dies (injuries, old age etc.), won't the poachers just try again, since there will still be no witness?

Supporter
What a great series premise, only for it to have had its necked snapped at the final furlong.

I reckon there was enough space for at least another couple of chapters showing how she dealt with the 'brain' and how she took control of the ship. 8/10, could have been an easy 10 but for that last chapter, ffs.

Damn I didnt expect it to end so quickly. I thought we'd at least get a second arc or smth

Group Leader
Thanks for getting us to the end gouma den scans!

@MonsieurQuack probably something to do with shonen gahosha optimizing their publication schedule.

Users who are viewing this thread