Hyouge Mono - Vol. 13 Ch. 132 - INKYOLOGIC

Fed-Kun's army
Could someone wiser than I @ me an explanation of the meaning of sock transfer?

Is it a disguised stand in for a pledge of loyalty? Are they only using socks because of the precedent of socks being used as a gift earlier in the story?

@Vandurn I'm no wiser than you are but you pretty much answered your own question. Tokugawa intends to upend the Toyotomi legacy and the sock handout is basically a thinly-veiled invitation to stand with them in their campaign.

I have a feeling that certain other pair of socks from chapter 26 will have their time in the spotlight.
Also, god dammit Hidetada. You ought to get slapped again for being too direct.

Dex-chan lover
@Vandurn It isn't a pledge of loyalty but instead a pledge of DISloyalty. Mori Terumoto in particular was the final defender of Toyotomi Hideyori after Sekigahara, and even though he technically sided with Tokugawa by staying neutral and refusing to bring his army to support the Western Army, he was punished by Tokugawa for his neutrality. Chosokabe Motochika, on the other hand, ordered his son Morichika to stick with Ishida before he died. The socks don't mean a particular daimyo agreed to support Tokugawa. They are all copies of AKECHI's gift socks to Ieyasu. What receiving the socks actually mean is that the recipient knew the true story of the Oda-Toyotomi transition (in this manga) and agreed that Hideyoshi needed to pay for his crimes posthumously. The daimyo who accepted the socks agree that the Toyotomi must fall, but not necessarily that the Tokugawa should rise. It's a pledge of disloyatly to the Toyotomi, not a pledge of loyalty to the Tokugawa. This is why Oribe agreed to accept the socks (because after all he was the only one who knew the FULL story) but still appealed for Hideyori's future. This is also why Mori stayed neutral and Chosokabe actually fought against the Tokugawa. The latter in particular wanted to regain control of Shikoku and saw the danger of a Tokugawa in control of Japan. They just agreed to avenge themselves on the Toyotomi, not to support Tokugawa's rise.

@sssr Compelling explanation, but maybe you should consider spoiler-tagging the post - while many of us here are aware of at least the broad strokes of the historical events, there may be some who don't, and who may not want the events to be spoiled beforehand. That aside, while I agree the gesture is basically more anti-Toyotomi than (necessarily) pro-Tokugawa, there seems to be an unmistakable "if you're not with us, you're against us" vibe to the whole affair.

@errorist424 Doesn't look like that boy's about to learn his lesson any time soon - or for that matter, ever

Dex-chan lover
So Oribe took the socks too in the end, huh.... I guess he'll be on team Tokugawa then? Or maybe that's just a distraction/feint?

@ClinTEastwooD So the author chose to divert from history? That's interesting.

@Grimmycoffee I can't tell if your response to ClintEastwood was sarcastic because the author has obviously taken some enormous creative liberties with the historical facts right from the get-go, not the least with Rikyu's role as a co-conspirator in the story's major political developments. If on the other hand you actually misread his statement, I think he meant more on the lines of headcanon (on account of disliking the tragic tone from here on) rather than anything to do with historical accuracy.

As for Oribe, it seems like an obvious appeasement tactic, it's literally written all over his face that he wants fuck all to do with any of this...

Dex-chan lover
@ScarletLouse I mean on which side Oribe will be because
getting a happy ending while still siding with the Toyotomi seems almost impossible. Before this, it's either minor or behind the scene shit, but if Oribe gets a happy ending like people keep saying, then said changes is clear and big.

@Grimmycoffee I think the confusion arose because of Mr. Eastwood's misleading use of present tense in his post, which is somewhat understandable given his current age (90). When he says "The story ends with a happy ending last chapter" I think he was merely referring to Hideyoshi's peaceful final moments. Also,
StubbornOne has independently confirmed elsewhere that the manga plays to what we know historically befell many of the main characters, so Oribe has a run for about 17 more years still. We're barely half-way into the complete story, our Jocular Man is far from done either way.

@Grimmycoffee
You got it wrong bro, I was just shitposting about how the story will turn bleaker from this chapter onwards.
I won't drop something like an ending bomb without any spoiler tags.(not that I would be knowledgeable about that too, I'm just a melon seller not the author.)

@ScarletLouse
This bro got it right, 10 melons for you.

Users who are viewing this thread